Distilling Hand Sanitizer

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Windswept
Swill Maker

Distilling Hand Sanitizer

Post by Windswept »

So, I know making hand sanitizer has been covered, but now that it's so readily available, my local hardware store has 5 gallon pails of it that are close to the expiry date on sale for 20$ at 80% ABV.

I want to be clear, I'm not going to, but do you think you could distill the stuff and safely separate the alcohol out from the isopropanol and other junk they've added to it?
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
hypnopooper
Bootlegger

Re: Distilling Hand Sanitizer

Post by hypnopooper »

I get the inquiry for the search of knowledge.... But isopropyl and glycogens in hand sanitizers are poisonous additives. While there may be a method suitable via chemistry to purify out the poisons, I would never run it in my still, or even take the risk of consuming such a product. Everclear is 8-10 dollars for 750Ml. If your looking for inexpensive base alcohol that's the direction i would go. I would in no way risk the dangers of consuming rectified alcohol that had isopropyl added to it.
T-Boon
Novice

Re: Distilling Hand Sanitizer

Post by T-Boon »

in short, no.

In long, separating the humectorant and bleach (or whatever chemical they use) is likely a very tricky thing to do via boiling.