Liebig size and element

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Liebig size and element

Post by Sporacle »

Just a question if I am looking to upgrade (a small upgrade) the size of my boiler, in relation to my liebig (900mm long inch over half inch copper domestic plumbing pipe) the boiler i am looking at limits the recommended wattage if using a potstill head from 2400 down to 1900. My potstill head is a 2 inch column reduced down to half inch after two two inch 90 degree bends then onto my condensor. Is the limit imposed due to some potstill heads having a small outlet from the condensor thus having the potential to overpressure or get clogged if distilling on the grain, NZ Chris did mention something in another post, any guidance would be appreciated. Its a 35l boiler I'm looking at
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
zed255
Distiller

Re: Liebig size and element

Post by zed255 »

My 36" (~900mm) Liebig made of 3/4" over 1/2" can handle my keg boiler fitted with 6kW of heater elements without issue, so your suggested wattages should be easily handled. Just for future thought, there's no functional advantage to the deeper water jacket of 1" over 1/2", it just weighs more and costs more.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Thanks Zed
My choice of inch was dictated by having some fairly thick copper wire to run on the half inch to create some turbulence, three quart wouldn't fit over. Is heavy but its got a brace. Thanks for the help
Cheers
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

The higher volume in a 1" jacket is better if you want to automate the water flow.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Thanks Chris, I understand the water flow controlling the temp on a reflux. Is there any advantage of controlling the water flow on a liebig other than water conservation? I'm lucky as I have a 12v sub pump in a 30k water tank that recircs so water is no issue for mine
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Sporacle wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:00 pm Is there any advantage of controlling the water flow on a liebig other than water conservation?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I do it because I have constantly changing demand with some of my stills. It's especially good if you're running a still off grid on a wood fire or solar and have limited water or have to cart it.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Yummyrum wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:11 pm
Sporacle wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:00 pm Is there any advantage of controlling the water flow on a liebig other than water conservation?
Well you learn something every day, I was running full flow assuming that was better and I now know what huffing is, my little still was doing that. I'm assuming that the huffing has a knock on effect at the head of my still as well. So we are now getting a valve on my liebig, am I right in assuming on the outlet? Then just keep temp control hot at the top cool at the bottom
Thanks heaps
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I always control before the inlet to minimize the pressure on fittings and hoses, which have a tendency to fail when you have a visitor that you want to impress with your still building skills, or if you're not watching.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

NZChris wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:50 pm I always control before the inlet to minimize the pressure on fittings
Inlet it is
Thank
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I control coolant flow with a valve on the outlet . My pump is not up for too much pressure and I distill out side so possibility of a blowout and mess everywhere is minimal But I understand why Chris does it the otherway .

Edited for clarity
Tom Kat
Swill Maker

Post by Tom Kat »

My liebig is 54" long, and I am using a 5500 watt element. I can strip it as fast as I want...but you still need to slow it down on a spirit run.
There's no place like home
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Yummyrum wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:41 pm I control coolant flow with a valve on the outlet . My pump is not up for too much pressure and I distill out side so possibility of a blowout and mess everywhere is minimal But I understand why Chris does it the otherway .

Edited for clarity
Well thankyou Yummy and NZ Chris, I have valved my liebig and am in the middle of a stripping run, my little still started huffing, water flow down and bingo. I do have a temp gauge at the high point although I am starting to understand what my still is doing based on output. It is amazing the head temp stability compared to what it was when the liebig was full flow. My technical measurement now for water flow is ... ouch, hot, warm, cooler and cool as I run my hand along
Thanks heaps
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I tried using thermochromic paint on my Liebigs. It was very educational as I could see the hot/cold interface moving up and down the Liebigs during the runs.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Sporacle wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:35 pm My technical measurement now for water flow is ... ouch, hot, warm, cooler and cool as I run my hand along
Thats the way , the more you learn to do things by using your senses , the better the distiller you will become.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

:crazy: Well I got the liebig running like a dream, so stoked with that..... so now I can strip harder and harder....oh apparently I can't strip that hard, puked..... so next lesson learnt, rack and clear a bit longer before you run it and don't overfill your boiler. Didn't scorch anything so going to follow Chris's advice and add it to the spirit run after I strip the next couple of washes (slower and more carefully) :crazy: