For the guys who saw my first very possible safety hazard ...

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

For the guys who saw my first very possible safety hazard ...

Post by Hybrid pot still »

:mrgreen: so for the guys who saw my very first set up with propane which had the possibility to be very unsafe, unstable peace of mind running it. But now I have an actual burner I didn't build myself I'm very proud of, as I got it for $35, I believe it is 80000 BTU from what I read it is an older model so I'm not sure but I am sure you guys that saw my first propane setup will appreciate this more stable, and safe banjo classic propane burner that I acquired, finally. A side note, that unstable fire hazard, I ran 7 X. Thank God everything is still intact. LOL
20210617_170423.jpg
20210617_170532.jpg
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

Re: For the guys who saw my first very possible safety hazard ...

20210613_134101.jpg
The first... for those who didn't see it, you didnt miss much..
20210613_195539.jpg
20210613_165136.jpg
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

And fyi, the aluminum pot im not going to use except for water in prepping washes and mashes, etc.
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

Lol, i forgot to mention the only reason i did it by the door is because incase of a leak at the tank, the gas would fall through my deck, as it is heavier than air, and my deck is built on a hill side, more or less.. but the gas is heavy and will settle in low spots, via, it will go down hill to find that spot by then its done gone and diluted out. Rather than my house which is old and is also going down hill with the hill, and my bedroom with a mattress and clothes, with would be hard to put out if gas was to gather there would suck to ignite, anyhow.. im safer and more at ease running this bad boy, and fixing to happen very soon.. i do washes and mashes ever four days to have one to 2 ready on the weekends.. I love this hobby..
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

Nice, do you have a mash/wash ferminting yet?
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
Boozewaves
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boozewaves »

:thumbup: that stand looks a lot safer
Become a distiller : start here viewtopic.php?t=52975
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

Corn Cracker wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:30 am Nice, do you have a mash/wash ferminting yet?
Hell yes lol. I made it my routine to make one every 3 to 4 days, just my cider wash that i do im pretty proud of, and a sugar head is the only 2 i been doing and running Little Bestie on my weekends which one of the days is Monday so most of the people i visit with are working so i dont get bothered, every other weekend i dedicate my whole time off running her none stop besides cool down to pop my still head off, which is a bitch, i need to figure out something for that. I make the cider a mash every now and then, but still working on the recipe, im kinda new to malting and grain world, ive been reading tho. Ive been malting my own barley so that could be some of my problem with consistency because im pretty busy during the week and always catch them a little too late before I throw them in the walk in at work or do it too soon, im learning the optimal time
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

Boozewaves wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:02 pm :thumbup: that stand looks a lot safer
Lol, i figured you would like it Booze, i know i do. Im just worried about scorching in the near future now because this burner is so powerful compared to old burner, im going to lay way back on it but i know one day im going push it probably and that will be the day i learn my lesson on that lol
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

WTG.
A shroud would be the next step toward mitigating heat loss associated with that new burner of yours.
Should google tire wheel burner and make that (or the like) your next step toward,,,,the next step.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

To clarify, I was only referring to lateral heat loss around the actual stand.

EDIT: I should have used the word firebox.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

LWTCS wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:40 pm WTG.
A shroud would be the next step toward mitigating heat loss associated with that new burner of yours.
Should google tire wheel burner and make that (or the like) your next step toward,,,,the next step.
Thank you LWTCS. I been reading and looks like i misunderstood a shroud, i thought it was just basically a wind shield on the bottom half, which i have, im using flashing for it but i thought that was a shroud and i was going say i did have one, but i dont from from my recent reading and new understanding, correct me if im wrong plz because i don't want to build something wrong lol.. but a shroud is actually above the grate, level with pot but a gap all the way around between inside wall and outside, probably 1½? And a couple i seen just recently from reading evem go over the top to the center?
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

NZChris wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:19 pm Be careful using a shroud.
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 0#p7249519
What are the things i need to go for and look for in a good shroud setup/design? In your experience, do you use one personally on your still? Why do you or dont you? Im just trying to get every perspective that anyone wants to offer that the done or do themselves or most importantly what im looking for is the fail so i can at least learn that and not make the same mistake twice, at least make a different one and share it with you guys lol
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I didn't try it because I think it's a bad idea, which has been backed up by problems that other distillers have reported. Most of the bad ideas you can think of have have already been tried and reported on in this forum, but often by members who no longer post here, so developing the necessary skills to search the forum is very important.
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

Im still learning how to do so on here, im limited on the whole internet deal, especially over a phone lol
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

NZChris wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:12 pm I didn't try it because I think it's a bad idea, which has been backed up by problems that other distillers have reported. Most of the bad ideas you can think of have have already been tried and reported on in this forum, but often by members who no longer post here, so developing the necessary skills to search the forum is very important.
Im still kinda learning how to search this site, i been on everyday and reading, im kinda getting it i think but i know i can probably do so much more on here as far as searching, every time i cant find it directly on here then i search google 8 times out of 10, it has a link or whatever its called with us on here but i can rarely find it while im on here, i must be doing something wrong or wrong choice of words in our search engine
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

You should use the google search instead of the phpBB one, it returns better results. And beyond that it's a question of keywords... and going beyond the first page of results. This is a forum, not a website so often you'll need to read a thread in its entirety (or almost) to get your answer. A post taken out of context often won't help.

The mantra here is to "read until your eyes bleed". There is a vast wealth of knowledge here, but it's not a book with an index. You'll need to do some work to get answers to your questions. In general, when I have an idea, I'll search, open the first two or three threads that look relevant in a new tabs, and then settle down to read them from the start. I can't begin to describe how much I've learnt in a short time by standing on the shoulders of, if not giants, then numerous extremely persistent dwarfs.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Sometimes you have to find the relevant word, or phrase, before you start getting the answers you are looking for. I can imagine it's quite difficult when you are new and aren't familiar with the terminology.

In the URL, I type in:
site:homedistiller.org/forum/
followed by the search term
e.g. typing in;
site:homedistiller.org/forum/ shroud burn on
produces;
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... CAY&uact=5
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

Helpful information guys, i really appreciate it and will put it into use
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

That Bayou Classic burner and stand is identical to the one I use. I bought mine new around 2004-2005 and it's served me well ever since. I think you'll be happy with it.
Plain ole pot rig.
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

River Rat wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:46 pm That Bayou Classic burner and stand is identical to the one I use. I bought mine new around 2004-2005 and it's served me well ever since. I think you'll be happy with it.
Ive used a couple times now for my mashes and washes to prep for fermenting, and is awesome. Gets 4g of water to 160 pretty damn fast and boiling just in just a few minutes more, i noticed when i try to really crank it up, just to see its maximum, the flame starts to jump from the burner, still burning just has half inch to a inch space between it and burner. I can make it stop by adjusting the air flow but then I lose my blue flame because when i adjust it it starts to have a yellow tips. Is this normal or past its max? And how do you run your flame? Pure blue or have alot of blue with some or little yellow or orange tips? Ive read for propane that blue is complete combustion but i haven't really ask someone else there preference?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Yes blue flame is ideal . Having said that , I haven’t run with a blue flame since I stuck a high pressure reg on my burner . …. Air vents wide open and it’s still not enough .

I like the extra heat of the HP reg especially for stripping runs and to get enough reflux on my 4” packed column .

So I use more gas than I should and the bottom of the keg is always sooty , but it gets the job done :ewink:

One day I’ll get a bigger gas burner :oops:
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

Don't skimp on the stand, that one looks solid, didn't see your earlier post, sounds like a sketchy stand?

I went the cheap route and got a burner/stand and 8-gal pot for $90 off Amazon, the pot has done alright but it's thin as can be, and the stand actually had a leg go out on me while running the still, knocked everything over, dented the still, spilled the wash, bad day. Went back to the farm, used some scrap steel and made one you can drive over now.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Blue Sasquatch that sounds like a dangers situation that could have been a disaster. Glad you shored it up. I have always been Leary of those thin pots and all my stills that I have built are either keg or heavy duty milk containers.
Hybrid pot still
Swill Maker

20210613_134101.jpg
BlueSasquatch wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:00 am Don't skimp on the stand, that one looks solid, didn't see your earlier post, sounds like a sketchy stand?

I went the cheap route and got a burner/stand and 8-gal pot for $90 off Amazon, the pot has done alright but it's thin as can be, and the stand actually had a leg go out on me while running the still, knocked everything over, dented the still, spilled the wash, bad day. Went back to the farm, used some scrap steel and made one you can drive over now.
Oh ya, it was sturdy, didn't wobble, but as you can see definitely sketchy lol