Lead and stainless

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Lead and stainless

Post by Corn Cracker »

I know all the dangers of lead,
That being said, i was given a 15g keg from a crossfit place next door to our
plumbing shop.
It was full of water and what i thought was gravel till i dumped it out in the driveway. It was lead pellets and water. I swept up the pellets and bagged em to recycle. I think it formed a crust inside. Completely bummed i set it aside to deal with another day, went inside and made a drink.

Is there a safe way to clean all that out to use as a still or is it trash?
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Lead and stainless

Post by still_stirrin »

Corn Cracker wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:53 pm... Is there a safe way to clean all that out to use as a still …
Are you a “gambler”? Go ahead and “roll the dice”.

Me … I’d look for a different keg.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

I figured, had to ask for some opinions though. I know there's gunbore cleaners that break down lead but. .......
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

A 50/50 mix of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide will totally dissolve lead without harming stainless. But..... then you have dissolved lead in solution (lead acetate) which is another problem. It's toxic through skin contact and disposal is a bitch. So that's probably not a good option. It could rid your keg of lead though.
Plain ole pot rig.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I hate to say this but you should destroy the keg beyond further use and recycle it.

drill it full of holes, take it to the shooting range and swiss cheese it. run it over

with a tank. make sure it can't be used in any form at all ever. I have a 100 ton

press and smashing it like a beer can comes to mind. please don't mess with it.
be water my friend
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

If you shoot you can probably find someone who will be happy to take the lead off your hands. I am sure someone at the range casts bullets.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Good idea! Fill it with thermite and start it up with some magnesium shavings! “Sac run for the ethanol gods”
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

I reckon I'll give the guy the option of taking it back before i shoot it full of holes and scrap it. Maybe I'll engrave a warning with skull and crossbones on it if he wants it back
Buck Owens
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Corn Cracker wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:28 am I reckon I'll give the guy the option of taking it back before i shoot it full of holes and scrap it. Maybe I'll engrave a warning with skull and crossbones on it if he wants it back
I have engraved warnings on blue barrels that had nasties in them.
be water my friend
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:43 pm Good idea! Fill it with thermite and start it up with some magnesium shavings! “Sac run for the ethanol gods”
Hell yeah! Ive got a couple of pounds of thermite (not yet mixed) and some magnesium ribbon in the garage. I think I've got about 5 pounds of tannerite around here as well, but the thought of SS shrapnel frightens me. Melting a big damn hole in it sounds safer.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jstroke »

Not sure where you are at. However my local beer distributor sells kegs. Legit, 30.00 apiece.

I suppose if you had to an angle grinder or even just a sawzall will cut it in half to make it unusable and keep it safe.
If in doubt leave it out.
constantproject
Novice

Post by constantproject »

Not to revive a dead thread, but i would turn it into a urinal or something similarly useful without being harmful.

Jstroke, where are you located? I would pick up 3 or 4 stainless kegs tomorrow for 30 each!!
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

You guys are so luck to get kegs for that cheap. Over here even a beaten up second-hand keg goes for a loooooot more.
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

I didn't make a still out of it, i do still have it though.

I did call the epa which directed me to the national lead hot line. I didn't say it was for distilling just asked if it could be safe to use again and she recommended just basic household cleaners would be fine to get it clean and safe for beer as the stainless does not absorb it so it can be scrubbed clean.

I have not decided on cutting out the top, cleaning it and making a boiling pot out of it or not, i am picking up another keg I'm going to use for the still.
Buck Owens
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Think about using one of them as a thumper.

Geoff
The Baker
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

I've got a plan for a thumper build when I'm ready for that addition.
Buck Owens
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Corn Cracker wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:39 pm I've got a plan for a thumper build when I'm ready for that addition.
Pre-heater?

Geoff
The Baker
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

No, i don't want to use that keg for distilling. It'll make a good keggle though. I have a stainless cylinder from a water softener system that I'm going to make into a thumper, if and when i need one.
Buck Owens