Can I use feints in a cleaning run for new still?

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hexadecimal
Novice

Can I use feints in a cleaning run for new still?

Post by Hexadecimal »

I just ordered a new boiler and column and was wondering if I could use some feints from a previous still for the cleaning run. I had saved the feints but don't really care about trying to do an all feints run or anything.

I was planning on washing everything really well, then doing a vinegar/water run and then the final cleaning run.

Should I just go ahead and ferment up some really easy sugar water or would using feints accomplish the same thing?
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Can I use feints in a cleaning run for new still?

Post by subbrew »

Dilute your fients down and run them. In either that or a sugar wash you are running a 10% give or take solution of water and ethanol through the system. Only difference I could see is if your fients don't include heads you will not have as much of the acetone an other lighter alcohols but you will still have plenty of alcohol cleaning your system.
Hexadecimal
Novice

Re: Can I use feints in a cleaning run for new still?

Post by Hexadecimal »

that was my thought as well. I threw everything into the feints carboy so it should have plenty of the nasty crap to work through the system.

I just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something important by planning on doing the cleaning run with feints.

Thanks!