Road to alcoholism ?

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

Virandell
Swill Maker

Road to alcoholism ?

Post by Virandell »

Hi I am only 23 I started making wine 4 years ago and 3 years ago I started distilling, recently I started having a thought is this hobby worth the health ? I enjoy very much process of making alcohol (picking apples and making brandy, milling malt, making gin and sharing with people) but the idea of alcohol making lose my health is putting me off. Currently I am drinking maybe 3x times a week around 100 - max 180ml of whisky/brandy in one sitting with my wife which I think is quite alot as I have alot of free time (health related I have some problem with thyroid) probably when I will get back to work it will be not as much but anyway ...
I am so gutted as I recently purchased bain Marie keg and plated column and that thought came to my head to leave that hobby :roll:
I drink more as the taste of good alcohol is making me to drink more not the feeling of getting drunk when I will feel drunk to serpent point I know when to stop :D
What's your thoughts guys?
Sorry for my English it's not my native language btw :)
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Road to alcoholism ?

Post by Stonecutter »

Virandell wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:25 pm Hi I am only 23 I started making wine 4 years ago and 3 years ago I started distilling, recently I started having a thought is this hobby worth the health ? I enjoy very much process of making alcohol (picking apples and making brandy, milling malt, making gin and sharing with people) but the idea of alcohol making lose my health is putting me off. Currently I am drinking maybe 3x times a week around 100 - max 180ml of whisky/brandy in one sitting with my wife which I think is quite alot as I have alot of free time (health related I have some problem with thyroid) probably when I will get back to work it will be not as much but anyway ...
I am so gutted as I recently purchased bain Marie keg and plated column and that thought came to my head to leave that hobby :roll:
I drink more as the taste of good alcohol is making me to drink more not the feeling of getting drunk when I will feel drunk to serpent point I know when to stop :D
If you’re concerned that your hobbies may be a danger to your health or that you have a problem with alcoholism I strongly suggest that you stop pursuing this hobby immediately and seek professional help in the form of counseling or Alcoholics Anonymous (AA). Even if you only THINK you might have a problem later. Addiction is an ugly monster that can and will destroy your life and the people you hold dear.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

Stonecutter wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:41 pm
Virandell wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:25 pm Hi I am only 23 I started making wine 4 years ago and 3 years ago I started distilling, recently I started having a thought is this hobby worth the health ? I enjoy very much process of making alcohol (picking apples and making brandy, milling malt, making gin and sharing with people) but the idea of alcohol making lose my health is putting me off. Currently I am drinking maybe 3x times a week around 100 - max 180ml of whisky/brandy in one sitting with my wife which I think is quite alot as I have alot of free time (health related I have some problem with thyroid) probably when I will get back to work it will be not as much but anyway ...
If you’re concerned that your hobbies may be a danger to your health or that you have a problem with alcoholism I strongly suggest that you stop pursuing this hobby immediately and seek professional help in the form of counseling or Alcoholics Anonymous (AA). Even if you only THINK you might have a problem later. Addiction is an ugly monster that can and will destroy your life and the people you hold dear.
I am also taking a break from the hobby.
I also was drinking to much and it was concerning me and the wife.
But i really miss the process.
More then the booze.
It was kinda relaxing the whole process.
But you gotta put shit in check
But i will hang around giving my 2 cents for what there worth
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Moderation is very important and a basement full of likker and wine doesn't always help with moderation... You might consider putting it down for a little while - maybe forever? It's a decision one can only make for themselves. I've seen folks drink their lives away and I've seen some of those people make and follow through on the decision to abstain - permanently - from partaking... Some of those folks that chose not to abstain aren't with us anymore and left much much too early so it is serious business in my personal outlook.

I also believe that home distilling does not equate to alcoholism and moderation is possible and should be actively practiced regularly because excessive drinking isn't healthy. Some people are not good with self moderation.

All that said I'll have a couple drinks most nights and sometimes more and other times none - every few years i'll abstain for a year or so too...

I'm certainly not perfect at it and everybody is different so paying attention and moderating is important to me.
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:22 pm Moderation is very important and a basement full of likker and wine doesn't always help with moderation... You might consider putting it down for a little while - maybe forever? It's a decision one can only make for themselves. I've seen folks drink their lives away and I've seen some of those people make and follow through on the decision to abstain - permanently - from partaking... Some of those folks that chose not to abstain aren't with us anymore and left much much too early so it is serious business in my personal outlook....

I'm certainly not perfect at it and everybody is different so paying attention and moderating is important to me.
+1 there is nothing wrong with realizing and admitting to yourself and others that you have a problem.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

I've had my struggles with overindulgence of alcohol.

I take a month off every year and have some rules for myself. No alcohol when I'm alone with baby. No alcohol, not even one, if I'm carrying my pistol, which is most of the time these days. No alcohol, not even one, if I'm driving. At parties I make one big drink with a measured amount and sip on it over a few hours, then don't make another. I'll have a couple beers if I'm in the shed all day but I decide how many before I start and shoot for one beer an hour.

Following those rules that I set for myself I have been able to just enjoy alcohol without wrecking my health or embarrassing myself. Get a little buzz at a party. Get a little buzz while reading and smoking a cigar etc...

I haven't had to exercise any real self control to stick to my plan since having a baby though. I rarely even want to drink alcohol because I'm so busy and always have some responsibility, either work or baby related, that requires stone cold sobriety. If I'm awake and not working I generally want to play with my wife and my baby, alcohol doesn't even really cross my mind often anymore.

I think before it was mostly boredom and old habits driving me. Another thing that helped was picking up hunting. I get up early to go out scouting or practice shooting my bow so I'm in bed early and sober because hiking through the desert with a hangover is no fun. For me it's just about having something more important to do and remembering the consequences of overindulging.

If I were you I would definitely take some time off. If it's hard for you to go a month without any alcohol then maybe get some treatment or AA etc... do whatever you think works for you but don't forget that alcohol has destroyed many good people.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

some thoughtful answers to this topic.
i still make like crazy but don't consume at all anymore. used to drink moderately but steady. never needed a drink, but sure as shit enjoyed them often.
just got more things going in life that was not conducive to drinking. i drive a lot. got a pilot's license, travel...but mostly i think it was dulling my wits...doesn't happen to everybody, but i'm able to pursue new interests with a sharper mind. makes life easier.
everybody's different, ya really got to make clear headed decisions on whats important to you.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

My gastroenterologist (liver doctor) said that acute alcoholism is less damaging than chronic alcoholism, because if you over-indulge once in a while it causes less permanent damage to the liver than when you drink a little (a shot or two) every day. Giving your liver a month or two (or more) between “binges” allows it to repair itself, assuming you have a healthy diet and are in good physical health.

Chronic alcoholism often can become quite addicting too, so vigilance is necessary.

Back when I worked in the local brewpub as the brewer, I would have to drink beer every day, simply to monitor the status/maturity and how it was serving. I know….it’s a tough job, but somebody had to do it. In the end, I had to manage how much I could sample and when to do it, because the availability (and job requirements) made it into a habit.

Drinking lots of water helped and of course, vitamin B helped too.

This hobby is really challenging, especially considering how addicting alcohol spirits are and when you make your own, you’ll have a large supply of some very good liquor at your disposal.

So, pace yourself and manage your life.

Virandell, you’re young and have much of your life ahead. Without doubt, the lure of the hobby is exciting and it is easy to over produce such that you’ll have way more than you can (healthily) consume. Don’t get “caught in the rush” of a readily available intoxicant to the extent that it jeopardizes your health or your family. Keep the hobby in the “hobby” status, not an addiction.

End of sermon. Now, if you’ll just pass the offering plate around and send it to me…. :lol:
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

I am married to an alcoholic that very nearly drank herself to death. Had been to rehab a couple times, and I was completely at the end of my rope. Took a 6 month stint in an exceptionally good inpatient rehab facility for her to finally get over the hump. For years I wouldn’t have ANY alcohol in the house. Eventually she felt comfortable with me having a beer, then liquors, and ultimately I would start my current hobby with her blessing. But I do it off site, and keep the products away.

There are times that I still worry, but to my knowledge she hasn’t had a single drink in all the years since she quit. Saved our marriage…

Point being, by the time you realize there is a problem it may be a big problem. Distilling may be ok in your situation but that’s your call alone. I commend you for thinking about it…

Steve
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

I didn't start drinking alcohol until college, and have enjoyed it ever since. But as I got older I started to do what you're doing now - questioning what the long term cumulative effects that alcohol might have on my health. So feeling fine, I started taking a quarter off (Jan 1 - Mar 30) from drinking every year and did this faithfully for over 10 years... until I started distilling.

Newly hooked on the process and spirit quality, I substituted my 13wk annual break with random 2wk non-drinking stints spaced throughout the year but the abbreviated time off wasn't the same. Now in my 60's, I've found my body needs longer to regenerate fully. So I resumed working out (an hour of running or pilates) 6 days a week, drink plenty of water and abstain in month-long increments. Just so I can continue sipping, stilling and living the life with no worry.

The takeaway from this little story? Despite being a quarter Scottish and a quarter Irish, with alcoholism (AA-controlled) present in multiple family members, it is solely up to me to preserve and protect something I love, and I will do anything/everything required to do so. I'd like to say you (and any of us) can do the same, but we're all different. Some of us occasionally stumble while others are no longer with us. Keep questioning and testing your resolve to improve your life. Taking a break will tell you where you stand. The thing in your favor is that you are young and have time to develop your priorities.

Maybe some of the serious perspectives from these can help:

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 8&start=30

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 47&t=41986
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Post by CopperFiend »

It is a very serious topic and one that I'm happy to see lots of people sharing some good advice about abstaining and how to do so.

For my little bit of advice: keep enjoying making spirits..... just give them all away to friends and only save a small bottle of each for yourself! 😆
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

We measure every drink of spirits, those free pours can really add up. We save my wheat bran based spirit just for Fridays - makes it a special treat. We mostly drink our liqueurs from a shot glass, we put an ice cube in first and then top up with spirit. Just little tips like those can help moderate your intake to a sustainable safe and enjoyable level.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
gordo
Novice

Post by gordo »

Someone asked me the other day "how much do you drink"...I replied "probably too much in some peoples eyes". I have thought about it often and I have to say that I gave it thought, before starting down the distilling track...'would this lead me to more drinking?'. I think the question you need to ask yourself, is...do you get out of control, do you do anything when drinking that you later regret? For me, I have a drink after a days work, if time permits, before dinner. I don't get drunk, just have a couple....I enjoy a wee dram in front of the fire on a winters night...so yeah, it's a subjective world...some would say I drink too much...some friends would say I don't drink enough!
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Stop drinking keep making. Aged liker is awesome..
Virandell
Swill Maker

Post by Virandell »

Thanks alot guys alot of good advice here and everybody is right I will defenetly make myself a few weeks brake and I will decide to carry on my hobby or no, would be a shame to leave it.
I always drink at night I can't drink durning the day as I have kids I am not crawling inside out if I will not have a drink I am not making big deal about it but I think I have to brake my routine to less frequent drinking that for sure. I am sure enjoying what I am making its taste so damn good.
@Still_stirrin " keep the hobby in the hobby status " that's very good advice here :) and for now I will keep my plated column but I will make myself a small brake :D
Again thanks alot guys all advices been awesome, you rock guys :)
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

I love making hooch more than I like drinking. I hate hangovers, although my homemade doesn't give a headache like my store bought bourbon, i still don't like the sloshy head feeling. That encourages me not to drink much. I usualy drink to get drunk but that's only once every couple of months. That's my hangup though, if the first one goes down good, I'm gonna be drunk before long.

The way i see it, if you think there might be an issue act upon that thought before it gets out of hand. Addiction is a bitch that ruins lives.
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I have never had any problems of this kind, I don't smoke (nothing), I never drugged myself, I drink very little but of quality for that I learned to distill .. When I drink my doses they are ridiculously small so this ensures that alcohol can be disposed of by the body. To tell the truth it makes a certain effect feel that many people here have this problem ..... my advice is of limitations if you have no addiction problems otherwise looking for help as others have said. Prevention is better than cure.
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

Everyone's different, but at least you had the presence of mind to stop and ask yourself (and us) the question. Only you can answer that question.

I drink regularly, generally two standard size and strength beers while unwinding before bed. If I choose a larger format or a stronger product then I'll just have one. On the weekends I will drink more, but I avoid getting sloshed as a hangover is a waste of my precious spare time. I generally drink to enjoy a product rather than for the effects of alcohol, it just so happens the experience includes alcohol.

A few personal rules:
NEVER before noon, even on a vacation / holiday, with the one and only exception being a Mimosa on Christmas morning being a tradition of sorts.
NEVER before anything requiring my faculties to be at their best, regardless the time of day.
NEVER alone.
ALWAYS at a moderate pace, never shoot or chug, just sip, savour and enjoy.
ALWAYS conscious of amounts consumed, hard limits in place.
ALWAYS take regular sanity breaks, a week to a month off periodically.

If you ever feel you NEED a drink rather than WANT one, you may have a problem. If so, seek help. Getting help is never a shameful thing.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
T-Boon
Novice

Post by T-Boon »

The fact that you are thinking about makes a good argument for it not being an issue. Because you are so thoughtful and self reflective you will mitigate the risks and see the signs.

It also depends on what your definition of an alcoholic is, I know plenty of high functioning alcoholics out there, and while i'm sure its not a great time, there has even been a movie made about it. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10288566/

In short, make it for the fun, try a bit and age the rest. give it away freely to friends and family and even other distillers/producers locally.

Also the appeal of getting too drunk after your 30s on cheap hooch loses its appeal once the 2 day hangovers show up.

YMMV.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Virandell wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:25 pm Hi I am only 23
recently I started having a thought is this hobby worth the health?

Currently I am drinking maybe 3x times a week around 100 - max 180ml of whisky/brandy in one sitting with my wife

which I think is quite a lot as I have a lot of free time (health related I have some problem with thyroid)

My thoughts are that when I was your age - that was OVER 40 years ago - I drank enough to do some really stupid shit and I am
very fortunate to be alive. To go into details would sound like bragging. Not the case & I often thank God for watching over me.

To get to the bottom line - my advice is to but the bottle and the hobby down AT LEAST until the end of the year.
That's not very long to an old man and it will let you know how much control you have over alcohol.

If you and you're wife decide it's best to step away permanently, whatever you've invested is a small price to pay for your health.
Best of luck!
Virandell
Swill Maker

Post by Virandell »

I am very very rarely drinking to have a hangover in fact that was probably about a year ago or drink to not remember anything I think I am having guilt of distilling and at the same time I have fun, I think I will make a brake from it and we will see how it goes if I will start hobby again or no :)
I will make a brake after apple season as I have 8 apple trees next to me and they producing around 200-250kg yearly would be a shame to miss the opportunity :mrgreen:
Btw my wife don't like idea of me quitting my hobby shes saying she can see I am enjoying it and she's saying she love my booze :lol:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you like distilling but are making too much, build some smaller stills. I've got three sizes. The smallest will do a spirit run from the low wines from the middle still, the middle still will do a spirit run from the low wines from the large still. Don't believe the BS about cuts being harder to make on small stills, that comes from people who haven't worked out how to do it.
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

I have never understood addiction but clearly, it exists.
If you have this issue running a still is an obviously bad idea.

Whether you have a big still or a small still you are going to have a problem.
Fitness is a more positive addiction. As is education or making money.
Make your weakness your strength and you will be much better served.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

tiramisu wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:46 pm As is education or making money.
Having worked with people in the hedge fund industry I can comfortably say that making money is not a healthy addiction. :wink:
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

sub'd.

har druckit för mycket
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

I have been brewing beer for 15 years, when I first started it was because I moved back to the states from Germany and could no longer get access to the beer I wanted. I was drinking a 6 pack a night and liked the savings on a soldiers paycheck. After I left the service I stepped up to 10 gallon batches because my roommate and I lived on a large farm with lots of people around and it was getting consumed readily, and I was dating a girl that liked hard cider which is cheap to make. Eventually I left that farm, left that girl, left that roommate and stepped down to 5 gallon batches. Now I only brew beer for the quality and cost savings, I am the only one who drinks it. After I left the service I was never what most people would consider an alcoholic, and these days it is rare I drink more than 2 beers in a setting, but I still enjoy the hobby and the product.

It is pretty normal, at least by American standards for someone your age to drink quite a bit. If you are having some drink in the evenings that is one thing, if you are drinking from the time you get up to the time you go to bed, can't drive somewhere without a drink in your hand, or it is effecting your relationships then it is time to quit. If you living a good life without it, and enjoying it I don't know that it is a problem. The fact that you are seeing it, and concerned with it is a good indicator you are self aware.
:)
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Ben wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:24 am It is pretty normal, at least by American standards for someone your age to drink quite a bit. If you are having some drink in the evenings that is one thing, if you are drinking from the time you get up to the time you go to bed, can't drive somewhere without a drink in your hand, or it is effecting your relationships then it is time to quit. If you living a good life without it, and enjoying it I don't know that it is a problem. The fact that you are seeing it, and concerned with it is a good indicator you are self aware.
I would say that a better litmus test is can you go a day / week / month without drinking (even in the evenings) without anyone around you, or yourself noticing a change in your personality. I've known a very functional alcoholic who didn't drink during the daytime, but for whom an evening without beer was an existential crisis.

That said, I agree entirely that self-awareness is key. Beyond that it comes down to genetics and psychology. If one of those is off-kilter then there's abstention may be the only viable route.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

AND it's a lot easier to build up good aging stock if you take abstention breaks to keep it all in check :)

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————