Found some grain I forgot about

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cranky
Master of Distillation

Found some grain I forgot about

Post by cranky »

This evening while making my annual attempt to clean at my garage deep in the east tunnel I found a box with what must be at least 15 lbs of malt and at least 10 lbs of what I suspect is corn but may be wheat, (I need better light to be sure) all ground up and ready to make into whiskey.

Every so often I get to feeling all energetic and stuff and feel like I want to give all grain whiskey a try and since I will have close to a month off beginning in a couple days I am once again thinking in that direction.

The thing is I have no idea when I got this grain. I know I must have had a brew shop grind the malt and I remember testing my 50 year old grain mill on corn and possibly wheat but don't know when.

Looking up when I bought the grain mill it looks like I bought it around the first of April 2019 (that seems like such a long time ago) I must have bought the malt after that date so at the most it would make it at a year and a half old. Everything looks perfectly fine and usable but I have no idea how long malt may be effective for.

So, now I'm kind of looking for suggestions on how to proceed. My normal process is always to make enough to make at least 3 stripping runs and a spirit run. I feel that requires at least 30 gallons but prefer 36 or even 40 so I know the amount I have on hand isn't enough. I don't really have access to a brew shop locally any more although I think there is one in Tacoma, which isn't too far but I don't like going in there and buying nothing but a crap load of malt and a couple packets of yeast.

Additional supplies I have on hand are 26 lbs of wheat, somewhere :roll: but I kind of prefer to keep that back as survival food, and I think I have around 10 lbs of red corn. I've been thinking about using oats and can pick them up pretty cheap at a place I buy a lot of food that really caters to restaurants but is open to the public and there is a tractor supply not too far away.

I know a lot of you whiskey people have started using enzymes, where are you buying them?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Found some grain I forgot about

Post by Deplorable »

I think I saw enzymes in the fridge at Beer Essentials in Lakewood. Might give them a try. There is also Johns Brew supply in Puyallup. https://jonshomebrew.com
Enzymash is reported to be no longer functioning, but Moonshine Distllers dot com also sells liquid enzymes.https://moonshinedistiller.com/distilling-additives/
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

cranky wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:07 pm I know a lot of you whiskey people have started using enzymes, where are you buying them?

Ferm Solutions
https://ferm-solutions.net/product-category/enzymes/

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I think whiskey is a very good way to get rid of grains you keep around for emergencies. Turn that wheat into whiskey, and replace it. The emergency will probably never come, but if it does your survival wheat won't be old and stale, and you'll have a nice drink to toast TEOTWAWKI.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

zapata wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:17 pm I think whiskey is a very good way to get rid of grains you keep around for emergencies. Turn that wheat into whiskey, and replace it. The emergency will probably never come, but if it does your survival wheat won't be old and stale, and you'll have a nice drink to toast TEOTWAWKI.
+1 Zapata!

Grind that crap up and get it aging. Replace the old grains with fresh. Win, win.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Now that's a thought but Wa is looking like it's quickly moving back to locking down. I do have plenty of flour put back so may just go ahead and use the wheat for whiskey...if I ever find it :roll:

Yesterday I found another bag of malt, probably around 8 lbs, I know this is older than the first one but it still looks good. I might be in Puyallup tomorrow so I might try to to find my way to the brew shop and maybe just get some more malt and get this stuff going.