Heirloom corn maize

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Virginnybouy
Novice

Heirloom corn maize

Post by Virginnybouy »

I just got a sweet ass gift from my buddy here in California . I was raised in the blue ridge mountains of Virginia & I love corn eatinnit growin it maltin it & yes drankin it . Yeeeeeeheee! Any way my buddy who is a Mexican American has some Great heirloom corn seed in his family that has been passed down for many gens . He and i work in the same farm for years …. We are great friends & we both discovered that one of our many shared intrests is fermenting corn he makes chicha & I make shine …… he once Gave me two 5 gallon fermenters of “ off tasting chicha” he didn’t want to drink ….. I ran it … not much yield but dang some really gooood sippin’s. Ive been naggin’m for years to give some seed & low & behold
He delivers this afternoon a nice brown paper bag with at least 100-150, Mabe 200 seeds ….. it’s gorgeous ! It’s ruby red pretty dark red maize …. Kinda reminds me of the red seeds I’d used to get in the calico Indian corn is grow in the shenendoa’r valley back in the day ….. wish I could post a pic but I can’t figure out how to throw one on the post …… if any of y’all felt like helping me with navigatin this techie stuff & fill me in on process I’ll show you a pic of their beautiful seed I plan on growin a nice field of …..
Virginnybouy
Novice

Re: Heirloom corn maize

Post by Virginnybouy »

Plus ….. I will give/ mail a sachet of some corn seed to you when I harvest my crop ….. I can mail this corn seed for free to a token who can help me through my weird inexperience with internet stuff …. Wish it came as easy to me as my 11 year old son & also wish he had i test in helping me figure this crap out …… I’m not a computer dab it kinda dude ….. I tried doin what you usually do which is long Tao the txt coursor, but it did not give me the insert photo option ……. So 🤷 I dunno man . Any way it’s beautiful lookin seeds literally like Ruby’s …. I’m gonna grow a boat load & make hella seed to give away to anyone who might wanna Hera golfa some to grow them selves .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

1: Hit the red button that says "Reply"
2: Scroll down till you see the buttons that say " Options - Attachments.
3: Hit Attachments.
4: A Button that says " Add Files" appears just below Options - Attachments.
5: Hit Add Files.
6: Select Location of photos and photo that you want to post........then hit Submit button below main reply / post box.
Least that's how it works for me on phone and laptop.
Forget sending seed here , customs would have a shit fit.
Virginnybouy
Novice

Post by Virginnybouy »

Darn customs …… hAte’m to bits man. Wish I can share this beautiful red gems with with ya. Thanks bill … is bill ok with you or do you prefer salt bush or sbb . Any way thanks heeps for yur help …. I’m i weee but slow with resin& I’ll have to study yur direction dile till I figure out how to do it precisely ….. but I’ll get it soon plus I only have one eye & it makes it hard to read txt on my phone …. Don’t ask i had an accident with my eye & now i have to wear a patch…. So I can’t red things so well but I’m tryin. Not to piss y’all off & also be friends & learn / share knowledge … cheeers mate !!!! Or as we say In Virginier or virginny ….cheers
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Virginnybouy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:15 pm Thanks bill … is bill ok with you or do you prefer salt bush or sbb .
Most forums its SBB or Salty......but I answer to them all.......Just dont call me late for dinner.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Like these?
Screenshot_20210617-074629_Google.jpg
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

:P As if this hobby didn't have enough rabbit holes... design, welding, yeast management, all grain, fruits... and now farming to grow some unique grains. :P :crazy:

That is some pretty corn, nice big flats.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

That looks like an heirloom variety called "Bloody Butcher". You can get some good info on using heirloom corn in corn whiskey from the Stillit channel on YouTube. The owner of the channel, Jesse, did a video from a craft distillery in Texas that specializes in corn whiskey and uses different varieties of heirloom corn in the ingredients. I'll post a link if I can find it.

BTW, I'm originally from SC, but now live in/near the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Must be quite a culture shock to move from the Valley to CA.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

This the video I referenced in my previous post. Hope you find it helpful.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

S-Cackalacky wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:35 am That looks like an heirloom variety called "Bloody Butcher". You can get some good info on using heirloom corn in corn whiskey from the Stillit channel on YouTube. The owner of the channel, Jesse, did a video from a craft distillery in Texas that specializes in corn whiskey and uses different varieties of heirloom corn in the ingredients. I'll post a link if I can find it.

BTW, I'm originally from SC, but now live in/near the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Must be quite a culture shock to move from the Valley to CA.

Yessir.
Pic I posted is Bloody Butcher. Local guy here also uses a blue corn variety that is also recently resurrected.
I personally feel like the yellow dent makes a better spirit, but it certainly is fun sampling all of the other possibilities.

EDIT: After a quick search it does appear that the blue corn is not as rare as I was lead to believe.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

If you want to taste what blue corn whiskey tastes like search for a bottle of Balcones Baby Blue Corn. It is pretty good but it is different. I think I will stay with #2 dent.
BF9B3B40-DF2F-42FB-ACF2-092EDE5455C4_1_105_c.jpg
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
Virginnybouy
Novice

Post by Virginnybouy »

Dang it call me hill billy with no computer skills cuz i still just caint figur out howta get a picture in this dang thang I’ve tried a buncha times it won’t post my pictures It’s drivin me batshit …..
Virginnybouy
Novice

Post by Virginnybouy »

I get a weird triangular icon at the bottom of my attempted post of a pic and when I click it it says my file is too big , but it’s not any bigger than anything else on here …. I don’t get what I can’t post my pic …..guess it ain’t that big of a deal …. I tried …. Gave a valiant effort .
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

6 Row Joe wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:19 pm If you want to taste what blue corn whiskey tastes like search for a bottle of Balcones Baby Blue Corn. It is pretty good but it is different. I think I will stay with #2 dent. BF9B3B40-DF2F-42FB-ACF2-092EDE5455C4_1_105_c.jpg
I would like to try that. I live in VA and they control what's in the liquor stores, so chances are, they won't have it.

Have you tried blending some of it with a different spirit - like a bourbon or rye? I do that sometimes with bourbon and rye. It adds a little more flavor variety to your whiskey collection.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

6 Row Joe wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:19 pm If you want to taste what blue corn whiskey tastes like search for a bottle of Balcones Baby Blue Corn. It is pretty good but it is different. I think I will stay with #2 dent. BF9B3B40-DF2F-42FB-ACF2-092EDE5455C4_1_105_c.jpg
Ah right. I did sample some of that in at the Seattle ADI I think? Wasn't bad. But not my favorite.
Though since that time my pallet has gone through quite an education with respect to whiskey.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Virginnybouy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:35 pm I get a weird triangular icon at the bottom of my attempted post of a pic and when I click it it says my file is too big , but it’s not any bigger than anything else on here …. I don’t get what I can’t post my pic …..guess it ain’t that big of a deal …. I tried …. Gave a valiant effort .
I thought this site automatically resized pics when they were posted - guess not. There used to be a thread somewhere that explained it. Maybe one of the admins could help you with it. Wrangle one of your younguns and explain to them that fathers day is coming up and it would be a very kind gesture if they were to help you with it.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I use an app on my phone aptly named “resize”. Makes it real easy.

One of these days i wanna do a complex red white and blue corn whiskey bourbon blend with three colors of corns and an array other grains for conversion and fun.
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————