Sweet Corn is a Lie.

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MichiganCornhusker
retired

Re: Sweet Corn is a Lie.

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Sweet corn is a lot of water. Looking back through my notes, I think about 14 pounds of sweet corn per gallon will put you in the range of 1.060 SG.

I found a good way to get a Carmel corn sweetness is to use Shadylane’s idea to cook some fresh wet corn malt in the oven at higher temps than what you would use for just drying the corn. I have a thread on here somewhere about doing that at a couple different temps, making a “toasted” and a “roasted” version. Both have a strong Carmel corn sweetness.

Shady link: https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55851
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:34 pm Ha, I actually feel a little bit bad about the title of this thread now that the fermentation is under way and smelling/tasting so dang good.
Sweet corn isn't a lie, it is what it is. I'll be going back to my tried and true dried field corn when it comes time to (hopefully someday) fill a 5 gallon barrel, but I'm excited to see how this batch turns out.
I probably missed your post somewhere else about the final product but how was it?
Any tasting notes?
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Zeotropic wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:16 am I probably missed your post somewhere else about the final product but how was it?
Any tasting notes?
Unfortunately, I’ll never know.
I think I labeled the bottles “honey” or maybe “sweet” for sweet corn, and then later got them mixed up with either Honey Bear Bourbon, or some stuff I made from sweet potatoes.

Either way, at some point last year I poured all of my brown spirits together with the intention of the-running all of it to make one master whiskey. But, when I mixed everything together the sum was greater than all of the parts! So I wound up just re-bottling all of it.

I like to think the sweet corn is in there somewhere, contributing to the overall delicious blend.

We’ll have to rely on Windy to let us know how this turns out.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

96E913ED-5F6D-4CF9-910B-42E821CB6783.jpeg
F5424970-8742-429C-B13A-2200AD0A5744.jpeg
Just picked up 300 pounds of bulk frozen sweet corn
:D :D :D
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

9E61076D-C0E8-4297-9ADE-1D748C88F7AA.jpeg
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

Did you have a lie thought up for the cashier?

Mercy that's a heap of corn
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:04 am
Zeotropic wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:16 am I probably missed your post somewhere else about the final product but how was it?
Any tasting notes?
Unfortunately, I’ll never know.
I think I labeled the bottles “honey” or maybe “sweet” for sweet corn, and then later got them mixed up with either Honey Bear Bourbon, or some stuff I made from sweet potatoes.

Either way, at some point last year I poured all of my brown spirits together with the intention of the-running all of it to make one master whiskey. But, when I mixed everything together the sum was greater than all of the parts! So I wound up just re-bottling all of it.

I like to think the sweet corn is in there somewhere, contributing to the overall delicious blend.

We’ll have to rely on Windy to let us know how this turns out.
I am sure it is good. My blends are the best. It is funny how several mediocre whiskeys put together are often great.