Using spent grains as mulch or compost?

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Using spent grains as mulch or compost?

Post by BoomTown »

Am considering using my spent grains as mulching in my outside potted plants. Is this a good idea, or something to avoid?
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Using spent grains as mulch or compost?

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I dump mine into a compost pile and cover it with fresh cut grass and it turns back into dirt once the black soldier flies get their share too. I do feed the pile with other green and brown material to keep it composting though.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

BoomTown wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:34 pm Am considering using my spent grains as mulching in my outside potted plants. Is this a good idea, or something to avoid?
A few years ago I took the spent grains from our local brewery where I brewed. Each brew (7 barrel mash) would net me roughly three 55 gallon barrels of spent grains. I would bring them home and spread them on the yard. After a few weeks and several batches, I roto-tilled them into the yard.

The grains added a lot of organic material as well as acidify the soil. It made a sweet preparation for grass seed. The grass came in thick and quick.

So, yes, the spent grains work great as mulch/soil prep for plants.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Around here critters seem to munch on it, even after fermenting on the grain. Excellent for compost too.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

BoomTown wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:34 pm Am considering using my spent grains as mulching in my outside potted plants. Is this a good idea, or something to avoid?
If I tried that, birds and rats would come from miles away and scoff the lot. I bury it, compost it, or feed it to visiting mallards. Drunk ducks are fun to watch.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

mine hits the back field the grass has never been taller or greener!

i have been drawing a giant dick with the stillage, in hopes of making an aerial political statement one day, with the addition of a mowed-in name :twisted:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

HDNB wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:24 pm… i have been drawing a giant dick with the stillage, in hopes of making an aerial political statement one day…
Wow HDNB. How creative is that!!! :lol:
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

HDNB wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:24 pm mine hits the back field the grass has never been taller or greener!

i have been drawing a giant dick with the stillage, in hopes of making an aerial political statement one day, with the addition of a mowed-in name :twisted:
Another reason I need more property...
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I made a big batch of dog biscuits with some of my single malt spent grains. Neighborhood dogs loved them.

Peanut Butter-Banana Dog Treats

Ingredients:

8 cups spent grains
6 cups flour
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
4 eggs
1 banana, cut into small pieces

Makes 3 lbs of treats.

Directions:

Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl (I usually mix in my stock kettle because the quantity is so large). The dough will be thick and sticky.

Lightly spray one or two cookie sheets with baking spray and press the mixture into them. Score treats however you like; I usually create three rows length-wise. If your dog likes their treats fancy, you can use cookie cutters to create shapes. Make sure you score it now so they can be broken when baking is complete.

Bake in a 350°F (176°C) oven for 30 minutes or until they begin to harden. Remove the trays and finish cutting the treats where you scored them. Put the trays back in the oven, turn down to 200°F (93°C) and bake for 5 to 10 hours.

The treats will be done when they are complete dry in the center. If you are unsure whether the treats are ready, break one in half. It should not be gooey inside because this will cause it to mold quickly.

Store treats in a sealed bag in the refrigerator and reward your canine friends for all their hard work during brew day.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

8Ball wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:23 pm I made a big batch of dog biscuits with some of my single malt spent grains. Neighborhood dogs loved them.

Ingredients:

8 cups spent grains
6 cups flour
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
4 eggs

Makes 3 lbs of treats.

Directions:

Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl (I usually mix in my stock kettle because the quantity is so large). The dough will be thick and sticky.

Lightly spray one or two cookie sheets with baking spray and press the mixture into them. Score treats however you like; I usually create three rows length-wise. If your dog likes their treats fancy, you can use cookie cutters to create shapes. Make sure you score it now so they can be broken when baking is complete.

Bake in a 350°F (176°C) oven for 30 minutes or until they begin to harden. Remove the trays and finish cutting the treats where you scored them. Put the trays back in the oven, turn down to 200°F (93°C) and bake for 5 to 10 hours.

The treats will be done when they are complete dry in the center. If you are unsure whether the treats are ready, break one in half. It should not be gooey inside because this will cause it to mold quickly.

Store treats in a sealed bag in the refrigerator and reward your canine friends for all their hard work during brew day.
I’ve been wanting to try this just been too lazy to look up a recipe! Thanks Brother!
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

8Ball that’s a good recipe, but is gave me gas…
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Stonecutter wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:33 pm
8Ball wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:23 pm I made a big batch of dog biscuits with some of my single malt spent grains. Neighborhood dogs loved them.

Ingredients:

8 cups spent grains
6 cups flour
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
4 eggs

Makes 3 lbs of treats.

Directions:

I’ve been wanting to try this just been too lazy to look up a recipe! Thanks Brother!
It works. I found it online. Don’t know who to credit.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

He’s gonna luv it - Thank you! 99% Bad Dog, 1% wire-haired terrier and i’ve gotta mash, ferment, and squeeze to make his treats not to mention mix/blend/bake/and sample. Fancy!
F39CD6ED-ADB8-46F5-A0EC-C8D9549C2BD6.jpeg
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

I compost the spent grains, seems to work well, smells decent IMO.
The Dunder, oof did 20 gallons this weekend of a rye whiskey, just tossed the dunder on the other side of the alley when I was done, wife won't stop bitching about the smell, it does make me think of a feed-lot, but I'm sure it'll dry out and be gone before to long. She has a hell of a nose.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Exhausted grains are excellent for compost. Even the hens seem to appreciate some parts.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I also compost it but it takes a while to breakdown. I also make sure it is buried under the rest of the compost.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

I have composted spent grains for years, the best thing to do is spread them thin. They produce a lot of nitrogen (great fertilizer) so if you leave them piled up they smell like death. Spread them thin with a stiff tined rake over your compost pile, once the squirrels and dogs have their share it breaks down quick.
:)