First bourbon couple of questions

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Virandell
Swill Maker

First bourbon couple of questions

Post by Virandell »

Hi I will be trying to make my first bourbon the recipe will be 66% Flaked Corn 19% Malt 5% honey malt 5% malted wheat and 5% malted Rye.
I wonder about mashing if it's flaked corn I just have to keep it in the same temperature like malt while mashing ? (62-67C ) ?
For how many hours should I mash it ? Usually with malt 1H is enough with the corn will be the same ?
Do I need any enzymes if I am using 19% of Malt + 5% of honey malt?
I am planning to ferment on the grain and distill with grain on my oil jacket first will be stripping run and second will be on my plated column
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: First bourbon couple of questions

Post by OtisT »

Hi virandell. I just finished mashing a very similar grain bill last night. I’m making honey bear bourbon, which is also 66% corn.

Flaked Corn has already been gelatinized, so there is no need for a high temp rest. I process my flaked corn along with my malts.

I let mine sit at148F for more than one hour, though I’m not sure exactly when it finishes. I typically let things sit for a minimum of 2 to 3 hours before I continue with thinning and cooling the mash.

30% malts should offer plenty of enzymes for breaking down all of the corn. That said, when I make a similar bourbon without enzymes my FG is often near 10 04 and does not finish all the way dry. I purchased both Alpha and Beta amylase enzymes and am using them on my current batch. I’ll know soon if the enzymes are going to help me hit 10 00 or lower.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: First bourbon couple of questions

Post by OtisT »

Correction. I purchased Alpha Amylase and Gluco Amylase, not Beta.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels