green malt

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pieterpost
Swill Maker

green malt

Post by Pieterpost »

I bough several kilo's of unmalted barley and am going to malt it myself !

Now has anyone had any experience in using 100 % green malt? I have read here on the site that off-flavours can occor. The way I read this is that it might, but how often does it? And can this be circumvented ?

Anyway, if anybody has some experience with this I would be glas to hear about it !
Fourway
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Fourway »

green malt (which I define as fresh sprouted grain which had not been dried) doesn't so much cause off flavors as create a distinctive flavor which some may find undesirable.
I happen to like it.

drying and degerming your malt will avoid this completely.
I'd imagine the degerming the wet green malt will also reduce the flavor a bit but it would be an insanely dull task.
"a woman who drives you to drink is hard to find, most of them will make you drive yourself."
anon--

Post by Guest »

Fourway wrote:green malt (which I define as fresh sprouted grain which had not been dried) doesn't so much cause off flavors as create a distinctive flavor which some may find undesirable.
I happen to like it.
Before I try a batch, could you perhaps give a small description of the taste I can espect ..... I would imagine it would give a sort of grassy flavour, you know the taste you get when you chew the end of a grass stem (that what the sprouted stem of the malt tastes like anyway).

Post by Guest »

that me ...
p ieterpost

Post by p ieterpost »

hmm, IE settings are playing up again .... that was me anyway
thecroweater
retired

Re: green malt

Post by thecroweater »

I've been thinking of going back to basics with my original recipe using green malt but still haven't really found an adequate method to grist it. Most mills and miners will bind up with it, has anyone used one of them manual wheatgrass juicers as they kind of look like they could work, I see them for sale around here between the $20 to $40 mark
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

You can also try roasting steam rolled barley from the feed store, about $20 or less for a 50# sack. I have a thread on it. Works good.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=73053

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Farside
Bootlegger

Post by Farside »

My understanding of green malt is malt that has finished curing but hasn't been kilned. So it's dry, but hasn't been subject to the higher temperatures.

When I make malt, I spread it out in the sun to dry for a day. At that point I knock all the dried rootlets off and it's pretty much half cured.

At this point it is pretty dry, but I wouldn't risk putting it through the mill. After a second day in the sun it would probably be good to go.
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

Farside wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:59 pm My understanding of green malt is malt that has finished curing but hasn't been kilned. So it's dry, but hasn't been subject to the higher temperatures.
From what I remember last year when I was looking into it, green malt is un-kilned malt.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

I've always thought of green malt as being grain softened by steeping in water and allowed to germinate but not yet subjected to drying and is full of moisture. That's what our local malt house refers to it. It will have the highest DP as possible as well.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

When I hear green malt, I think of sprouted grain that's fully ish modified and still alive :lol:
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

thecroweater wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:12 am I've been thinking of going back to basics with my original recipe using green malt but still haven't really found an adequate method to grist it. Most mills and miners will bind up with it, has anyone used one of them manual wheatgrass juicers as they kind of look like they could work, I see them for sale around here between the $20 to $40 mark
Heres what i used to do
I don'T use it green anymore
Take your bag of malted grain that is still fairly wet
To dry it does not work so good
Then throw the bag in the freezer
Once froze hard procede to grind in corona mill
Only take a small amount at a time so it doesn' t thaw
Once froze it grinds pretty well
With wheat and rye it works real good
Barley has more rootlet that thaw faster
So grinding faster is needed
Just my experience at it
Hope it helps
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

My Chinese corona mill doesn't like undried malt.
I've even tried freezing wheat and corn, but it still didn't work very good.
If I remember correctly, It did work a little better with unfrozen green rice malt.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Green malt is green still growing malt, it gives a different favour to dried malt. Kiln dried malt like the dark malts are for flavour and generally have DP of sweet jack all.
Previously i grist green malt with a stone but that is a huge amount of work, a meat mincer will bind up and grist mill plates will also gunk up and fail. I do have an antique vegetable mincer that may work but I just thought maybe the wheatgrass juicer would be more efficient, not that I've ever used one.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Using a wheatgrass juicer might get your "Crocodile Dundee" man card revoked :lol:
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Yeah I reckon if ya meet me hipster ain't gonna spring to mind :wink:
Never been much of a yuppy (Young urban professional person) Prolly been considered more of a Caring Understanding Nice Type. :lol:
Yeah if someone chimes in and says they work well I'd use it but not much chance of it causing me to get into wheatgrass or kale juice :sick:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I tried to use one recently Crow in an attempt to juice Jaboticaba fruit/ berry's for a wash. It didn't end well....but I think I can end up getting it to work with some modification. I have my doubts about one working on grains....even green / wet/ damp grain.
Last edited by Saltbush Bill on Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Okey dokey I reckon you'd be right, I just watched a video "Weston's wheatgrass juicer" and to my thinking if you have it restricted enough to crush the grain it will bind and open it would possibly just push though fairly undamaged. I might have to do a test run on the vegetable mincer and see how own it is
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

thecroweater wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:57 am I might have to do a test run on the vegetable mincer and see how own it is
Get the kids and Suzy on the crank handle , some exercise will be good for them. :thumbup:
Witblits
Novice

Post by Witblits »

thecroweater wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:12 am I've been thinking of going back to basics with my original recipe using green malt but still haven't really found an adequate method to grist it. Most mills and miners will bind up with it, has anyone used one of them manual wheatgrass juicers as they kind of look like they could work, I see them for sale around here between the $20 to $40 mark
I have just made a batch of corn whiskey using green malted maize (corn). I processed 5kg of it through my wife's kitchen blender using the S blade, processing about 0.7kg at a time with enough water to turn it liquid.
s-blade.jpg
s-blade.jpg (8.59 KiB) Viewed 3304 times
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Got one of them, let us know if it grist enough to mash with.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Anyone try running green malt through the blue electric mills? They are supposed to be a wet/dry mill.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Like this
Hd2b2f31046164469860d906334b9f362n.jpg_Q55.jpg
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I've heard tell, that a garbage disposable can be used to grind up green malt.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Thanks shadylane.
malt_lover
Novice

Post by malt_lover »

I use kitchen rolling pin to smash the green malt, does the job easily.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I believe a bio electric shredder could be useful for large quantities
(fhoto from internet)
external-content.duckduckgo.com  2.jpg
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

I have it on good authority not to grind green malt in the blue grinders. :shifty:
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Demy wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:53 am I believe a bio electric shredder could be useful for large quantities
I believe your right
Shred the green malt instead of trying to grind it. :thumbup: