Mesquite smoked steamrolled barley

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Mesquite smoked steamrolled barley

Post by RockinRockies »

So I've got 50 lb sack of steamrolled barley and I'm going to pick up another 50 lb sack of two row which is about a dollar a pound.

My plan was to smoke at least half of the steamrolled barley in my offset smoker where I have mesquite logs but I was wondering two questions cuz I couldn't find this information:

What type of flavor profile would that impart?
Do I need to soak the grain prior to smoking or keep it wet every now and then with a spray bottle?
I'll run it at probably 225F for a few hours I would assume
metalsmith
Bootlegger

Re: Mesquite smoked steamrolled barley

Post by metalsmith »

Mesquite and peat are 2 different smokes, but I want to hear your results.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

RockinRockies wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:42 amWhat type of flavor profile would that impart?
It will impart a smoke taste and aroma into the beer, without doubt. Mesquite is acidic and will give you a “sharp” taste when the beer is young. But it will subside and soften with age. It will be quite phenolic, which is good for a highlands style whiskey. However, it is a completely different smell and taste from peat smoked malt. The phenols from the smoked malt will come over in the distillate, however they’ll be much lighter than the beer itself.

RockinRockies wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:42 amDo I need to soak the grain prior to smoking or keep it wet every now and then with a spray bottle? I'll run it at probably 225F for a few hours I would assume
I’ve made rauchmalt several times before.

I typically pour the grains into a bucket and then cover it with water, letting it soak for an hour, or so. Then, I spread the wet grains on a few cookie sheets and put them into the smoker. Let them smoke until the berries are dry, and crunchy. It may take a couple of hours to get to that point. During the smoking process, I stir the grains up every 15-20 minutes.

You’ll get some of the kernels to caramelize, turning them into a crystal malt. This will only add flavor complexity to your mash (in a very elegant way). Be prepared to invest several hours for the process…time is your friend. And yes, a low heat smoke is better than a hot smoking temperature. I smoke at 180-200*F usually.

Mesquite wood will be unique (for you) and will no doubt become your “signature”. Don’t be afraid to try it…just do it!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Thank you very much for your response that's exactly the information I was looking for and I must say I really appreciate your input on this site quite a bit.
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

This stuff turned out incredible at just ten pounds from a 50 pound sack. Wow!
I also added 10 pounds peated malt
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Feed store barley berries can be malted and smoked near the end to finish the drying process. Feed store steam rolled barley can be roasted. Malted and roasted barley with a little corn tossed in makes a great sipper when aged on used toasted & charred white oak.

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... Feed+store

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... ilit=Irish
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

8Ball wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:33 am Feed store barley berries can be malted and smoked near the end to finish the drying process. Feed store steam rolled barley can be roasted. Malted and roasted barley with a little corn tossed in makes a great sipper when aged on used toasted & charred white oak.

Are you saying it's a bad idea to soak and smoke the steam rolled barley? I liked the flavor from my method but will read those links.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

RockinRockies wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:09 pm
8Ball wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:33 am Feed store barley berries can be malted and smoked near the end to finish the drying process. Feed store steam rolled barley can be roasted. Malted and roasted barley with a little corn tossed in makes a great sipper when aged on used toasted & charred white oak.

Are you saying it's a bad idea to soak and smoke the steam rolled barley? No, not at all. I liked the flavor from my method but will read those links.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Thanks for your input I appreciate it and I'll try your method as well to see if there's a difference that I can tell.
I just ended up with 1,300 ml split between two court jars at 55% on used bourbon sticks
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

I do cherry smoked malt periodically. I don't soak it, just spray it with some water out of a spray bottle and roll it around in a big trough to get the outside leathery (read up on malt conditioning, fascinating stuff) then throw it in the smoker in a custom pan made from some stainless window mesh for 20 minutes at a higher temp. Works good for me. Lots of ways to skin this cat.

Caveat: I am only smoking a few lbs at a time, so the grain bed is thin... wouldn't work good if you had a big lump of grain.
:)