Vertical malt drum

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Vertical malt drum

Post by bluc »

Any brilliant ideas for an agitation design for a vertical malt drum? I am building a malt all in one steep/kiln from a 100l pot. I want to automate steeping sprouting, would like a way to turn grain. It will have an air pump working through whole process but I think turning the grain might be nessacary.
An augar type like on the Canadian malting video looks good but looks complicated to make.
Any reason not too use copper to build if I go with augar style agitation /turning system?
IMG_20220317_145421.jpg
Malt agitater

I am using smart switch strip and home assistant for automation.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Vertical malt drum

Post by Demy »

I only perform the automated drying, I could also do the germination but it is not worth it, soaking the grain with dry / wet steps and mixing every now and then during germination is not a lot of work for small quantities. If you want to automate everything, think about how a washing machine work
this is my dryer starting from the washing machine drum, the motion is transmitted via bicycle parts and a car wiper motor, the washing machine motor is not suitable for slow movements.
IMG_20211105_113915-min.jpg
Last edited by Demy on Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Flood drain is easy to automate as is air circulation. Turning grain is hard bit. I dont trust it to dry by itself.
I dont want a horizontal drum I want a vertical one. I know...first world problems...
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Nice looking setup @demy btw.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

I wouldn't use copper, for the expense and the softness. Stainless is a better bet, it isn't exactly cheap but its less expensive than copper and very tough. Since you like the auger idea why not just run two paddles, opposing each other mounted at 45° that's quite a bit easier than an auger. If you have a bearing or bushing at the bottom, and the motor at the top that will keep the turning assembly plenty rigid.

What sort of fabrication skills and tools do you have available? The whole thing could bolt together, but welding would be faster and easier.
:)
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

The best way to mix is just like a washing machine ... That's why I used a stainless steel washing machine basket, inside there are depressions in the basket in order to create mixing, moreover, especially during germination, the protruding blades could harm the Sprouts ... Once again look at a washing machine, moreover the horizontal basket is much more efficient than a vertical basket.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Two paddles could work i have tools to fabricate welder etc. Do you reakon an open area skeletal type paddle or solid ones would be better.

Demy I thought of a washing tub and see how it would work. This is the tub I settled on and intend to make it work. 👍
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

IMG_20220324_133150.jpg
This what I have been thinking of. Made from 6mm pipe or solid stock. Solid would be easier for me to weld at my skill level.
Lots open area reduces drag through grain.
Bottom angled to suite dome of false bottom stirring fingers overlap slightly..
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

My thoughts (as someone who's read a lot about malting but done very little) is that by stirring you are primarily trying to prevent heat build-up which would cook the grains in the middle. So what you need is a system which will move grains from the middle to the outside and vice versa. Your paddle system will likely just stir the grains in concentric circles. There's perhaps a possibility for a spiral which would pull grains from the middle to the outside, with a angled outer edge to allow the grains to spill over the top and back into the middle. I'm not sure if I could sketch that though, let alone fabricate it.

Perhaps a simpler solution would be chimneys made of perforated material evenly spaced throughout the container to ensure that ventilation and cooling doesn't just happen at the edges.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I agree with NormandieStill, the vertical position creates a lot of problems, also when you have drained the water and germination begins, the roots start to grow and things get complicated with those blades ... it is not a criticism of your work but you're complicating things with that design ... it would be perfect for mash tun.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Normandiestill that sounds like a good idea.more air flow through the grain. I plan to have an air pump running whole time. I malted some corn by blowing air through and a quick flood drain with water once a day to rid the co2 from inside.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Gave in built a tumbler will steep and kiln in the pot.
https://youtube.com/shorts/Uh_JN0LO2_4?feature=share
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Been watching your progress on MT's forum Bluc.....good to see you got that all sorted......its starting to look the goods :thumbup:
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

:thumbup: Went with the hose coupling idea lets see how long it lasts
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

bluc wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:53 am :thumbup: Went with the hose coupling idea lets see how long it lasts
If it doesn't last at least its cheap to replace :thumbup:
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

+1 for sure. It will only be the hose itself that fails. 2" long reinforced hose about 50c
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Stick a rotation sensor on it to let you know when it busts and stops spinning.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

KISS and a rotation sensor can they combine to make perfect ?
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Well idea was to automate... Rotation sensor hmmm.....need to get the stripper done too but first i need malt....