Oats?

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bama

Oats?

Post by bama »

im just gettin started and was wondering if oats are good to make whiskey. i read on the site that you cant malt them. reason is i have a free source of crushed oats.
bama

Post by bama »

if so, what is the taste of the product?
Pieterpost
Swill Maker

Post by Pieterpost »

I doubt that you will be able to malt crushed oats !
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

theholymackerel wrote:
bama wrote:if so, what is the taste of the product?
Sublime.

I strongly suggest ya make yerself a batch of oat whiskey.
Was that sarcasm? :lol:
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...

Post by Guest »

I just got done with a batch where I had reused the mash from the first( which consisted of mostly corn, sugar, and a small amount of rolled oats.) I put about 8.5 gallons of back set into the second mash along with 5 lbs of rolled oats, and 18 lbs of sugar. I made a run on sunday, I put 2 qts of whiskey from the first run in and by the end when the column temp reached a hair over 200deg I had collected 9 qts of product. I don't have a hydrometer yet so I can't tell you what the final proof is. What I can say is that the flavor profile is different from the first and that the oats contributed a positive effect to the flavor, I am still a neophyte to this so it is hard to give an accurate discription.
When doing the oats I added about 6 crushed tablets of beano and held a mash temp of 155 deg for an hour, I didn't do a starch test so I can't tell you if there was a full conversion.

Furball
bama

Post by bama »

i wasnt going to malt the crushed oats, i can get whole oats too. anyway what is the flavor comparable to? yall seem to like it. does it taste more like barley? corn? wheat? thanks
bama
Novice

Post by bama »

Just registered. been lurking in the shadows for a long time now. :twisted:
Moonshine still? What moonshine still?
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

I can't believe I didn't try the name Bama when I initially signed on way back when...I must have been sick that day. Damn.

Welcome aboard.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

I'm gonna have to try some, then!!
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Isn't there some bacteria on Rye and Oats that can produce poisonous substances when malting? If I was you I would just mash it with like 20% high enzyme Barley. Or buy professionally malted Oats.

From the site:

Jack advises ..
Malting for home use is not a difficult procedure, but it should NOT be attempted with oats or with rye.

These grains, when malting, tend to attract butryfying bacteria - these organisms, by themselves are poisonous, and so is the butanol isomers that these bacteria produce (see page 127 (for oats) and page 130 (for rye) in the book "The Homebrewer's Garden" by Joe Fisher and Dennis Fisher, Published in 1998 by Storey Books (http://www.storey.com onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow)).
bama
Novice

Post by bama »

THM, what is your recipe for oat whiskey? What do you use for malt? any other oat recipes welcome too. thanks.
Moonshine still? What moonshine still?