Single Malt SG too low?

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cellsitegod
Novice

Single Malt SG too low?

Post by cellsitegod »

After my last failure with Malted barley ( failure is not an option. I must get it right!)
I tried the mash proceedure from the Uncle Jesse's sticky posts, on Sunday. This time no boiling!
The iodine test was great, just like Jesse's photos. My SG was 1.050 at the start. I'm using a cut out 15 gal keg as fermenter and leaving it in the spare bedroom with a towel over the top. I pitched in 1 tbs of Fermaid yeast nutrient and mixed.
I took some liquid from the mash and mixed it with 3 tbs of distillers yeast. 30 min later I pitched it in.
Boy, the first couple of day the house smelled like a barn!
The average temp in the house it 65-75F
The grain floated to the top. So, every day I lightly mixed it.
I checked it today and was only 1.030 after 5 days.
Is this normal? It sure seems slow.
Since I don't have an airlock on it, I can't really tell if it's still fermenting.
Shall I leave it for another week?
Or, did I screw something up again?
Thanks, :oops:
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

Should take a few more days. 3 spoons of yeast started for only 30 minutes isn't a strong starter. It's going to have a slower work time since you used a small starter that wasn't really starved for sugar. It sounds like its doing fine ...just let it work and SG should drop within 4 or 5 days.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

Did you aerate it well? Yeast needs oxygen to reproduce. Beer will usually ferment in 5 days but with poor aeration can take weeks. Also grains have more than enough nutrients for the yeast so there is no need to add more.
junkyard dawg

Post by junkyard dawg »

hmm, thats a thinker....

You'll be able to tell if its fermenting without an airlock. It'll bubble and look alive. The mash wasn't too hot when the yeast was pitched was it? The recommended way of rehydrating yeast is to pour it into water first. Stir lightly and wait 15 minutes. stir again and then wait another 15. Then your ready to use.

http://consumer.lallemand.com/danstar-l ... rehyd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I doubt thats your problem tho...
I use the same keg fermenters. you can go down to your local restaurant supply store and buy a stainless lid to fit your keg. (check out how sabco does it) http://shop.store.yahoo.com/sabco/kegandcon.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
This helps keep CO2 in there so the yeast make ethanol. Or you can put a tall kitchen garbage bag over the top. It'll inflate like a ballon if it fits tight. (Just for fun...)

Could just be slow because the temps are low...