Sourmash a surprising hit

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Swag
Swill Maker

Sourmash a surprising hit

Post by Swag »

I went to an Easter party at my brother in laws house and brought some sourmash and vodka along. I thought most people would go for the vodka, but the sourmash turned out to be much more popular.
I talked to a guy who’s father had a still, and he really liked the whiskey. Now he’s hot on building his own still.
4 or 5 other people expressed their approval when they sampled some of my whiskey. I have to say I was a bit surprised.
I redistilled a 5 gallon batch of whiskey that had too much tails in it. I was careful about tasting and smelling the whiskey along with checking the ABV and the temp. I didn’t let anything into the center cut that didn’t taste or smell good.
I guess it worked because I brought along some 100 proof whiskey that tasted pretty smooth. I realize that I have a long way to go before I can really claim to make good whiskey, but it was gratifying to make a palatable beverage that people would actually drink.
I would like to express my thanks to everybody on this board who shared their knowledge in order to help beginners like me. :D
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

It's a great feeling isn't it? And it only gets better with more practice and fine tuning.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Swag
Swill Maker

Post by Swag »

Grayson_Stewart wrote:It's a great feeling isn't it? And it only gets better with more practice and fine tuning.
Yes it is. :D
My oldest son brought some vodka I made back to college with him. I told him I would give him some 95% if he would promise to cut it before he let anyone drink it.
He wrote me a couple of days ago to say that he had a confession to make. He said that he and his buddies drank it straight but he washed it down real quick with some coke and he was fine.
I wrote him back saying that I had a confession too. I told him that I was young once and knew how guys worked. I said I figured that he and his buddies would try to drink it straight so I cut it way down in strength before I gave it to him. I told him that Dads always have to protect their children before all else.
He told me that it was OK because he had survived far worse things in college. I can only imagine what those things were. Being a parent can be a worry.
Grayson_Stewart
retired

The best thing we got going for us is that they think just cause we are old we are stupid....makes it alot easier to catch them don't it?
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

Holy crap Swag, when I read that I lost my breath. You are a smart man though, understanding your son like that. Good to let him know that you know him better then he thinks. When I read that he said he and his buddy's drank it straight I kind of had a hard time believing it to be honest. A 95% straight shot, wow. If he could survive that I'm sure it would be that last time you tried it. Good job.
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
Don Ventura
Novice

Post by Don Ventura »

Grayson_Stewart wrote:The best thing we got going for us is that they think just cause we are old we are stupid....makes it alot easier to catch them don't it?
Wow that really hits close to home swag. I just had my first son and hes 18 months old right now. I know all the sh!t I got into and if he's even hald as bad as I was, I'm in for some long and restless nights. I just hope my memory doesnt fade enough to remember what I did in that situation...

Man I hope my sour comes out as good. Share your recipe will ya?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
DAMN TRUTH OR DARE!!!
Bujapat
Swill Maker

Post by Bujapat »

Swag wrote:I told him that I was young once and knew how guys worked.
Nice thinkin' Swag! I've 4 children from 9 to 14... The oldest, a boy, begins to make certain "experiments"... I speak with him (and the 3 others) like you do, he knows that I know what a young boy is able to do... and he understands I'm there when necessary to help, protect, explain, and many times to make some stupidities with him! Wife is more serious! :wink:

Otherway, what a feelin' when some people appreciate our stuff! It's a fact that moonshine is even good as commercial products, and we make it by ourself!
I'm french speaking!

Boiler : 50 L (13 gal) beer keg, gas heated.
Reflux : 104 cm (41 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter withh SS scrubbers packing.
Potstill : 40 cm (15 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter without packing.
Swag
Swill Maker

Post by Swag »

I have three boys; two in college and one in high school. They are all athletic, pretty good students and have managed to stay out of any major trouble (so far, knock on wood).
I am trying to teach them to drink responsibly, even though their peers (especially in college) don’t often show much restraint. My own youth was certainly no model of purity and control. I can only hope to impart some sense of responsibility and respect for the destructive potential that alcohol holds. That, and I pray a lot.
To answer Don’s request for my recipe, it’s pretty much Uncle Jesse’s. The only difference is that I use all the backset for my next ferment instead of just half. Ian Smiley recommends this in his book and it seems to work just fine for me (the thought of wasting any of that flavor just doesn't sit well). I aerate the backset real good while waiting for it to cool, which seems to make a very positive effect on the rate of fermentation.
The thing I have had the most difficulty with is making the right cuts. Smiley says that you should run your heads a little faster than your middle run or the heads phase will tend to run too far into the middle phase. That made sense to me so I tried it and it seemed to work.
Another difficulty I have is that I have never tasted anyone else’s moonshine. So I just keep tasting what’s coming out of the still until it tastes like something I would want to drink. Otherwise it goes into the feints. The proportion of heads, tails and middle run came out fairly close to what Smiley had in his book. My middle run was a little more generous than his.
I realize I have a long ways to go before I have this down pat, but it sure is fun learning.
:D
TRANSPLANTED HILLBILLY
Rumrunner

Post by TRANSPLANTED HILLBILLY »

Grayson_Stewart wrote:It's a great feeling isn't it? And it only gets better with more practice and fine tuning.
I had a similar experience to Swag. Went back to the Mother Land I was transplanted from last weekend. The old college spring break campout that never died.
Anyway took a little (2 fifths) sour mash pulled back to 85 proof, UJ's recipe, that I had on oak for three months back and figured I'd get feed back from fellers that drink it on a regular basis. One guys dad that I had never met before said "thats theres the best damn shine I ever had past my lips". I thanked him graciously :) and we had another slash. Five to ten minutes past and theres a tap on my shoulder, "Hey buddy, kin I get another taste?" :shock:
This went on the rest of the night, with others included but mostly him.
Next mornin' there was only a swallr left. The old timer comes down to the gatherin spot with the biggest smile and says, "damn I can't beleive I don't hurt like hell". Nor did I. Just wish that second fifth hadn't met its demise :evil: courtesy of Northwest Air baggage handling.

Yes, It is a damn good feeling to get a complement like that from a body you don't know and has no reason to lie to ya. 8) I think I've made a new friend.
If it was easy everybody would do it.

Please join the Partnership For an Idiot Free World.
Grayson_Stewart
retired

You had a bottle break in your checked airline luggage?
TRANSPLANTED HILLBILLY
Rumrunner

Post by TRANSPLANTED HILLBILLY »

Grayson_Stewart wrote:You had a bottle break in your checked airline luggage?
Sure nuff! :( Very glad I unlayered cloths rather than just reach for where it was. Like I said went on a camping trip and the fleece soaked it up. Couldn't tell by the outside of the soft side that a problem existed. It was flat like a Woodford bottle but not as heavy of glass. The Wooford bottle made it, twice now BTW. I put duct tape around the t-top cork to prevent poppage.
If it was easy everybody would do it.

Please join the Partnership For an Idiot Free World.
Swag
Swill Maker

Post by Swag »

Speaking of bottles, I found these on the net and decided to order a few. They hold about a quart and only cost $2.99 ea. I thought they would be good for gifts or taking some hootch to a party.

http://www.zanesvillepottery.com/index. ... D=120&HS=1
Don Ventura
Novice

Post by Don Ventura »

Very Cool swag. Might have to pick some of those up.

---------------------------------------------------------------
DAMN WHERES MY CC AGAIN!!!