Grain Crusher/Grinder

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Grain Crusher/Grinder

Post by Boda Getta »

After a couple of seasons of using a hacked $15.00 Corona grain mill for my all grains, I am ready to upgrade. I powered the Corona by an electric drill and it did an OK job, but keeping it adjusted and the total lack of uniformity was a problem. I'm looking for an affordable grain crusher/grinder that will handle the usual distilling grains, as well as pre-cracked corn. I am willing to spend around $250.00 including hopper. I am willing to retrofit some type of power source.
Any suggestions, advice greatly appreciated.

BG
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Re: Grain Crusher/Grinder

Post by bluefish_dist »

I have a 3 roller crakenstien which works well for barley, but you really need a 2 roller for corn. I might consider 2 rollers if you want multi grain capacity.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I have the 2 roller Monster Mill 2. Works well with grain and corn. One suggestion is to get the 1/2 " shaft over the 3/8" as I think if you build a pulley reduction system it is a bit,ore succumb.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Bushman wrote:I have the 2 roller Monster Mill 2. Works well with grain and corn. One suggestion is to get the 1/2 " shaft over the 3/8" as I think if you build a pulley reduction system it is a bit,ore succumb.
Also if you use a pulley reduction system you should consider a pillow block drive with lovejoy coupling as bronze bushings don't like the side drag.

AC
Medstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Medstiller »

If you get a gear motor you can skip the pulleys. That is how I set mine up and it chews through corn like crazy. Surplus Center has good prices on motors and lovejoy couplings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

Boda, I scored a Hobart coffee grinder on Craigs List for $125 if I recall. This thing chews grain at 4 pounds a minute without even breathing hard. I see them on Ebay as well but people are buying them now as art deco pieces and the prices have gone up. These are old industrial machines but they work great and you can adjust the grind. I would guess if you keep watching you could get one for between $100 and $200.
Coffee Grinder.jpg
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

acfixer69 wrote:
Bushman wrote:I have the 2 roller Monster Mill 2. Works well with grain and corn. One suggestion is to get the 1/2 " shaft over the 3/8" as I think if you build a pulley reduction system it is a bit,ore succumb.
Also if you use a pulley reduction system you should consider a pillow block drive with lovejoy coupling as bronze bushings don't like the side drag.

AC
:thumbup: