Hopless beer recipe whiskeys

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Hopless beer recipe whiskeys

Post by jb-texshine »

Not a beer brewer but the thought hit me the other day to look at some beer recipes for inspiration.
Personally I like dark beer,the darker the better. Black lagers. Taste like malty Carmel coffee. Anyone ever tried taking a beer recipe and making whiskey? Specifically a dark beer and if so how much of what flavors carry over.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hopless beer recipe whiskeys

Post by BayouShine »

I made a Russian Imperial Stout bourbon last year that came out pretty good. Roasted malt, Special B and Chocolate malt were my dark grains.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Shineoncrazydiamond is doing that and quite successfully

AC
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

I was thinking more a schwarzbier style. But just adjust the water to get the og I want.
Did you get any chocolate notes to the finished product?
Last edited by jb-texshine on Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deo Vendice

jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

acfixer69 wrote:Shineoncrazydiamond is doing that and quite successfully

AC
Hopefully he'll be along shortly.

Just read the chocolate sundae bourbon post.
Sounds like the future may be in beer recipes for me,lol.

Deo Vendice

BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

jb-texshine wrote:I was thinking more a schwarzbier style. But just adjust the water to get the og I want.
A little chocolate but more of a dark roast coffee finish that lingers on for a while.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

BayouShine wrote:
jb-texshine wrote:I was thinking more a schwarzbier style. But just adjust the water to get the og I want.
A little chocolate but more of a dark roast coffee finish that lingers on for a while.
That's close to where I want to aim, looking for a hint of caramel and a good measure of coffee. Glad to hear that there's some promise to the idea for sure.
Jb

Deo Vendice

jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

BayouShine wrote:I made a Russian Imperial Stout bourbon last year that came out pretty good. Roasted malt, Special B and Chocolate malt were my dark grains.
Had you ever made the same recipe as a beer and if so how did they compare flavor wise.

Deo Vendice

BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

Nah, not much of a beer maker or drinker.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

JB,

The sundae bourbon recipe I posted is exactly, I think, what you are looking for. Deep dark chocolate, caramel, and aged in oak, gives up even more caramel and vanilla.

To be honest, I've done that recipe a Few times, but mostly now I do sugar bumps on beer on brewing day. Dogfish 90? Got that whiskey in the attic. My imperial stout? Got that whiskey-back in the attic.

Fun to sit down with a nice home brew beer and the exact same grain bill whiskey.

After you collect your first Running's for beer, keep sparging and collect the last 1.02 of run off (there's always sugar left. Just collect your 5 gallons or whatever). Then add sugar to your desired og, and pitch. You'd be amazed at the similarities of the sugar bump whiskey to beer. And squeeze free wort.

Or do the bill for whiskey, and you get an all grain whiskey. That is where honey bear and sundae bourbon came from.

I got lots of one's like those, but I posted the best, and most expansive two.

Favorite beer recipe minus hops is your favorite whiskey recpie :thumbup: .
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Go ahead and try the Sundae Bourbon as is. It will surprise the hell out of you.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

I've never made beer either but know what I like.
Shiner bohemian black lager was the first and still one of my favorite dark beers. That's why schwarzbier style.
SCD, I believe I will try the sundae bourbon. It sounds interesting. I know for certain that I will be haunting some beer forums. Their version of t&t was like stepping into a whole new world of possibilities.
Do the darker specialty malts keep the final gravity above 1.000?

Deo Vendice

jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Not to mention a whole new level of"beer and a shot"

Deo Vendice

BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

I just added the recipe I used if you want to give it a shot.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 11&t=69123
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

I've been using specialty grains for several years now and they do work well as SCD and others have proven, the main thing is not to overdo it and the learning curve for experimenting can be pretty steep. It takes a while to learn what these grains bring to the table and how much is too much. But there is a world of possibilities there.
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Yes, we are doing hopless beers as whiskey. Right now I have two porters aging. The first one is 3 moths in and starting to come around. I have a few more planned as I have time.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Yes, a little goes a long way!

I have found that with the specialty malts, it will end a little higher than 1.000. Between there and 1.02. However, I have said it before and I think with more people trying specialty malts, more will see. A higher fg DOES change the body and sweetness of your whiskey. Good or bad, depends on what you are going for. But it makes a sweeter, more body, thicker spirit. Good for bourbon, maybe not so much for scotch? Haven't tried it for that.
brewer24
Novice

Post by brewer24 »

I just brewed a Guinness clone, and did a stripping run of the piggy - back sugar wash I made from it. How soon can you taste those specially malts come through? I'll see if I can pick up any of the roasted barley in it tomorrow - I used more than I should have, even for Guinness! But this was also my second run ever so I probably won't have the palate.

I've been brewing for about two years, distilling seems like a logical one step further. Looking forward to experimenting.
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

It needs time to develop. The darker the roast, the more aging it will need to get itself together.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:Go ahead and try the Sundae Bourbon as is. It will surprise the hell out of you.
Mine is quite young in the barrel and is already taking on a deep character. Sundae Chocolate Bourbon
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

You make me wanna try imperial stout recipes I got !

I read the SDC sundae chocolate bourbon thread, but... I do not understand well the mashing procedure.
I come from beer brewing meaning hot water + grain = > Saccharification, then filter and sparge. For some beers, you can in fact filter to get the great beer, and sparge and get a little beer, monks tradition.

I've never brewed anything this way ( apart some corn soup ) and fermented on the grain.
Does this makes a big difference on the taste ?
I use conical fermenters for the beer in order to harvest yeast and do clarification. It would be difficult with grain in the fermenter also would be too small unless I cut the recipe :)
durty_dunderpants
Novice

Post by durty_dunderpants »

i used to make porter with the second runnings of my imperial stout mashes, now i make whiskey! i've had a lot of chocolate scent on them generally, but it's been very interesting seeing the difference to a regular whiskey mash - there's been a lot of weirdness going on early hearts/late heads which is where i think a fair bit of the chocolate has been hiding for me.

none are ready yet but the day i can sit down with a stout and whiskey that both came from the same mash in either hand is going to be special :D
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

Nice :)
Did you try the old sour blending of porters ? I mean blending an old (12-18 months oak cask maturation) sour porter and a young (5-8 weeks) one. Kinda like Rodenbach beer and maybe Guinness Foreign Extra Stout
I find it yummy :)
durty_dunderpants
Novice

Post by durty_dunderpants »

not yet but i'm a big fan of historical brewing so it's definitely been on the list a while - i'd love to hear about your methods somewhere it wouldn't derail this thread :D i need to free a few kegs up - most of them are long term tied up with 18th/19th century pale ale recreations[estimations!].
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Re-mashed with enzymes then sugar bumped a a semi spent German lager mash and included a low carb beer enzyme in the ferment to milk it out. The yield was well above the average piggyback and it it aging very nicely. That was an all malt beer with a fair range of assorted malts including pilsner, pale ale, Vienna, kolsch, wheat, caramalt, crystal malt, rye and some high dp malt, perhaps galaxy. As it was from a craft brewer I don't know the quantities but I would for sure do it again.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

Sorry if a bit off topic,
durty_dunderpants I kept is quite simple: secondary fermentation in a glass carboy with some pieces of oak and a few thin long wood chips into the bung hole to let air pass but not bugs because I'm prone to forget to replenish the air lock :)
For the Rodenbach experiment, I let it sit about 3 years under the stairs because of procastination :P There was a nice bunch of funky yeasts and bacterias foam on top of the beer protecting the thing I guess. Has to pass the racking cane and pump from below trying to not melt the thing.
I tried to taste the aged beer the day I was ready to blend with some fresh beer, and OMG that was really sour! So sour, my teeth wanted to say goodbye :mrgreen:
But once blended and having it for about a month in the fermenters, I bottled one part and kegged the other one. Keg has gone way too fast ! In bottle it was souring a bit more months after months.
I must say I am an amateur of geuze and lambic and porters of the old times share a bit of history with those :)
You can check http://liddil.com/beer/ There are lot of good infos here.