Rice bran starch study

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Rice bran starch study

Post by Hilltop »

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 7010000519" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I made some very interesting white dog last summer by adding Rice Bran to my cracked corn as I was low on corn. I've been meaning to get back to playing with Rice Bran again. I've been led to believe most of the starch is stripped, but after reading this, I've rethought that.

Abstract

"Rice starch is one of the most expensive yet very useful starches due to its unique characteristics. This study aimed to isolate starch from defatted rice bran, an underutilized byproduct of milling and is a relatively inexpensive source of rice starch. Starch was extracted from the bran by first soaking it in water. The mixture was then subjected to blending and washing with water, alcohol and alkali solution. About 83% of the rice bran starch was recovered. Characterization of the rice bran starch showed that its gelatinization and retrogradation properties as well as its granule size are similar to those of starch from rice endosperm. Based on the results of this study, defatted rice bran can be a good source of starch that is suitable for applications in food and pharmaceutical industry and other new applications such as a potential material in the biomedical field."

Anybody else playing with this stuff? I buy lots of it for my deer club, Deer seem to prefer it to corn. It's relatively cheap at 9 bucks a 50 lb sack. I know brown rice is the preferred rice, but ya can't beat 9 bucks.

I sugared the wash last summer, but just from a little experience in the kitchen I can tell ya Rice is a hell of alot easier to cook to gell than corn. When this Sugar Beet nightmare gets through fermenting I plan to get some more enzymes and try it without Sugar.

I got a Rice Bran, Wheat Malt, and Brown sugar idea clicking around in my little brain, has anyone tried anything similar using Rice Bran instead of Brown Rice?
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Re: Rice bran starch study

Post by Hilltop »

Notice they used Alcohol and Alkali to remove the starches from the rice in that article.

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Hilltop,

Here’s a good read on rice: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 39&t=42133

Good luck. It’s not the easiest grain to work with, but makes a fine vodka.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

still_stirrin wrote:Hilltop,

Here’s a good read on rice: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 39&t=42133

Good luck. It’s not the easiest grain to work with, but makes a fine vodka.
ss
The Yeast Balls sound like an easy way to go, but they aint a Chinatown or Chinaman anywhere close to me that I'm aware of. I've got some well trained tough yeast in slop now. Distillers yeast, would you not use that SS? I'm not looking to make traditional Rice Wine. The Rice did something to my corn, wheat malt sour mash that I liked.

The Rice bran I'm referring to can be bought at any feed store in 50lb sacks and by the Ton. My initial study of it led me to conclude that it was much like Beet Pulp in that all the goodies are stripped out. After reading this study and some other writings seems a very high percentage of starches remains in the bran.

Word to the wise when buying Rice Bran check the label, it comes in an array of flavors. Peanut butter for instance, my deer will stand and shit in a corn pile to eat peanut butter Rice Bran. You want plain Rice Bran no flavor added as there is no telling what's in the flavoring.

I've also seen it in Persimion, Berry, Acorn and Sweet Potato flavors.

SS most of the threads I can find on Rice are Brown or White Rice. I don't see where hardly anyone uses the cheaper Rice Bran. I have looked on several Distilling forums and can find very little who have been experimenting with the Bran.

Compared to this Beet Pulp mess, Rice Bran doesn't stink up a barn, shed or house. I strained it in paint strainer bags and some solids did pass through, but I had no problem with scorching.

Coonass
Novice

Post by Coonass »

Kinda glad I found this thread! I've been thinking about trying to come up with a rice bran recipe that would complement the flavor of a rice whiskey. I know this is from 2018 but was this recipe ever perfected or explored anymore?