Grain recomendation

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BuffaloBob+837
Novice

Grain recomendation

Post by BuffaloBob+837 »

Saw this mix on Amazon and wanted to know if good for a Bourbon mix by a first timer. 10 lb. Moonshiners Blend 80%cracked Corn, 10% RYE, 10% Barley By Detwiler Native Seed
Last edited by BuffaloBob+837 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Grain recomendation

Post by fizzix »

I had to edit my previous answer because I researched your grain a little further.
80% corn, 10% malted rye, and 10% 2-row (that's what the barley is) = 24.5° Lintner. The minimum diastatic power should be 30°

I would recommend 70% corn, 15% malted rye, and 15% 2-row barley = 36.75°L

Do you have a grain/home brew shop near you?
Shinerfortyniner
Novice

Post by Shinerfortyniner »

How do gelatenize the corn without denaturizing the malt if it is all mixed together?
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Shinerfortyniner wrote:How do gelatenize the corn without denaturizing the malt if it is all mixed together?
I'd hope it all comes in separate bags so you can cook the corn separately.

Note:
BuffaloBob struck my curiosity on the product and it seems the more I research it, the more contradictory the "facts."
One site even mentioned this as sugar head ingredients! Another contradicts the malt content. Those contradictions and the pricey sticker are enough to steer me away from this product.

Too bad grain shops aren't as abundant as Walmarts. (I've got a fully stocked shop near me so I have no idea which is a good mail order site.)
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

Shinerfortyniner wrote:How do gelatenize the corn without denaturizing the malt if it is all mixed together?
Don't think you can. At least not efficiently. We think of gelatinization and enzyme functions as a being rigidly dependent on a set temp. It is true that high temps will denature the malt amylases needed for starch conversion but I suspect that given a long enough time even the 140ish temps we use for malts to work their magic will eventually result in freeing up the starch so that the amyase can do its job. But it might could take a very long period of time and it becomes very difficult to hold such temps for what might could be days.
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

Had a look at the grains, might be a good thing but as it's said in comments looks a bit on the high side for price.
They are many shops that sell grain.
Average prices: Barley malt is 2$ per pound, flaked maize 2.50, rye malt 2.50.
8*2.50+2.50+2.00 = 24.50 if you get it from a brewshop.
If you do not have one close, some do free shipping at a certain amount in your cart.

I must agree with fizzix, stay away from this.
Looks like someone had the idea after a moonshine series episode on tv and began selling grain at twice the normal price because there's moonshine in the title. :)
BuffaloBob+837
Novice

Post by BuffaloBob+837 »

Thank you all for your replies. A good number of lessons to be learned in this hobby. I live in the Tampa area so there should be some feed stores around in the nearby towns with farms and livestock. BuffaloBob
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Hey BuffaloBob, I hate someone not having easy access to grains. I found this site: https://www.atlanticbrewsupply.com/

Shipping is a flat rate for $25 or more. But it might be by state, so check for yourself. These guys have a good review sheet though.