Is milling or grinding grains required for making moonshine

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ly44889
Novice

Post by ly44889 »

Do I need to mill or grind malted barley and malted rye for making shine? If so, what can I use to make it the right consistency. Thank you.
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Re: Is milling or grinding grains required for making moonsh

Post by dieselduo »

Depends on what you are trying to make.Go to the tried and true and pick out a recipe. Look at UJSSM , you only use cracked corn there. No need for a mill.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

ly44889 wrote:Do I need to mill or grind malted barley and malted rye for making shine? If so, what can I use to make it the right consistency. Thank you.
Most if not all home brew shops have a mill you can grind the grains you just bought for free or a small fee. I’m sure the brew shop can help you get the proper grind.
Good luck to you.
JBC
JBC
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

ly44889 wrote:Do I need to mill or grind malted barley and malted rye for making shine? If so, what can I use to make it the right consistency. Thank you.
Predominantly the answer is yes, grind that grain.
Some exceptions are flaked grains (grains that have been pre-cooked to expose starch) or recipes that state not to grind adjuncts, like the corn in Uncle Jesse's Simple Sour Mash (as dieselduo pointed out).

The point of grinding most adjuncts and malts is to expose as much of the grain surface area as possible. Sometimes recipes (mostly beer) will even specify to double mill or finely mill the grains. But rare.
As also stated, most any grain source will have a mill available for "standard" grind.

This will freak some purists out, but before I found my current grain shop, I bought grains for Honey Bear Bourbon from a vendor who didn't offer milling and I ran them through my drink blender.
Yep, that pulsed "ice crusher" setting and the Honey Bear came out just fine. LAST RESORT!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

The grain should be crushed, this allows the starches, sugars, and enzymes inside the grain to be extracted. Without the starches, sugars, and enzymes, you're going to find it difficult to make beer.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

The grains of grain, corn or seed should be milled or crushed to release the contents of the cells and make these available for conversion and fermentation. For dry grains one uses milling.
I make grains sprout and after that I use a household blender to destroy the soft whole grain in a watery environment. Then I brew it with cooked milled grains.
One way or the other: the contents of the cells must be available for processing.
This goes too for fruit, by the way.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

If you’re just getting started, then a sugar wash like UJSSM or Sweet Feed might be a good first step. In those cases you don’t need to grind anything, and you can make some tasty liquor.

Once you get the distilling part down, you can pursue all-grains and grinding malts.

Obviously it’s up to you which path you take, but there’s a big learning curve here, and you can only focus on so much at once.
Mike6090
Novice

Post by Mike6090 »

To look at it another way the grain is coated with a waterproof “armor” jacket that helps the grain naturally in germinate and prevents starch from escaping. You have to crush, cut or smash that armor plate to get your hot water and enzymes into the starch to react and turn it to sugar. Then you can Mash it in a mash tun and sparge the sugary grain tea.
Last edited by Mike6090 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Mike6090 wrote:To look at it another way the grain is coated with a waterproof “armor” jacket that helps the grain naturally in germinate and prevents starch from escaping. You have to crush, cut or smash that armor plate to get your hot water and enzymes into the starch to react and turn it to sugar. Then you can Mash it in a mash tun and sparge the sugary grain tea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
turn off the tapatalk before you submit a post that's an advertisment
Mike6090
Novice

Post by Mike6090 »

Thanks for the reply. It’s very frustrating to try to be a part of a community and your device requires you to use tapatalk which constantly resets itself to violate the terms of the community. The other option seems to be to input your name and password each and every time you log on.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Requires Tapatalk? errrr just say No? works fine for me.

Friends don't let friends use Tapatalk.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by acfixer69 »

Expat wrote:Requires Tapatalk? errrr just say No? works fine for me.

Friends don't let friends use Tapatalk.
Now is that hard :roll: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Mike6090
Novice

Post by Mike6090 »

I hear ya. My iPhone has other opinions and I don’t own a desk top anymore so I have to deal with the second fiddle of an internet device. Still, it gets the job done when it doesn’t throw a hissy fit.

Apologies to the OP for the thread hijack.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I would say yes - you need to either grind your grains - or have them ground for you.

Search up Corona mill mods and you can get a cheap enough mill going that will chew through corn and other malts...

I would recommend AG over sugar wash based recipe. Cheaper for an all-corn and better product to boot!

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
ly44889
Novice

Post by ly44889 »

Thank you all. Good stuff. Definitely gonna run a sugar wash first, but all the reading on here has got my gears turning for future spirits without getting too far ahead of myself. Alot of info on here.