Productive day yesterday

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Productive day yesterday

Post by Twisted Brick »

Yesterday morning I was able to mash up a 2nd batch of AG wheated bourbon (70-16-14) that converted nicely (1.058) on the side while I fired up my pot still to strip bourbon batch #1. (12gal x 7.5% beer). By the time I had collected 7l and had everything cleaned and put away, I was able to cool my mash to 85F, aerate and pitch a gallon of fresh starter and wheel my fermenter back into the garage.

I then had a few minutes to drain a bucket of raw wheat in what is my first attempt at malting. I also cut some new aluminum window screen to line what I call my malting steamer. It's just a brand new 14" aluminum chinese steamer I forgot about in the garage (yes, its that messy) like 10 years but I think it will work nicely.

I filled the bucket again early this morning, and this afternoon drained it a second time, loading the wheat into my malting steamer. The grain ended up to be about 3-4" deep. I sprayed all three containers liberally with water and put it to bed. Then it was time to sample about 250ml of hearts I stole during my strip and it was so delicious it was gone before I could blink. I can't wait to see if wheat malt makes any kind of difference in this recipe or if I have to make a Bernstein Wheat clone (37-51-12) to find out.

Wish me luck.
Attachments
aluminum screen liner
aluminum screen liner
15lbs of grain
15lbs of grain
first chits to appear
first chits to appear
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Productive day yesterday

Post by fizzix »

I admire you home malters. Truly makes the hobby "do-it-yourself."
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Thanks Fizz. I'm not quite the home-malter yet. I'll report back with my results. But I am pleasantly surprised at how readily this red wheat gets busy with its germinating business. I think the drying process will be more involved, while the kilning process will be the most critical and have the most effect on the flavor/performance of the grain.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

What should the length of the shoots be when ready? what are the temps you're malting at?
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Shine0n wrote:What should the length of the shoots be when ready? what are the temps you're malting at?
By all accounts, optimal acrospire length is 75%-100% of the length of the wheatberry. Since all acrospires grow at slightly varying rates, I took an average, illustrated below. The thing to remember when judging when to halt growth and begin drying is that there is a period of time where the acrospires continue to grow. Next time, I will begin drying sooner so that the acrospires end up at 100% of the berry length.

Ambient temps during the day were in the high 60's, temps at night were in the high 50's. By moving the bucket inside and outside, although it wasn't optimum, I believe I was successful in maintaining an average of low 60's throughout the malting period 48hrs. I think this contributed to a slower malting rate and a more consistent acrospire growth rate. Once the acrospires reached terminal length, I spread them out on black gardeners netting on the patio. The temp of the piece (the term for the mass of drying wheat berries) was 104F.

I need to do a number of wheat maltings to compile data on my process, specifically to research the following:

1. optimum chemistry of steeping water
2. maintaining (steep chamber?) steep temperature
3. measuring optimal moisture intake of 42-44% (see below)
4. measuring optimal final grain moisture content following kilning
5. How to kiln (using my wood-fired brick oven) green malt to end up with the magical 104% moisture rate and acceptable color and roast flavor

Measuring optimal final grain moisture content following kilning promises to be quite an adventure since I only sun-dried my piece, surprisingly, to the optimal 104% moisture content. I measured the moisture content based on weight, using a 1lb test sample (pictured), but the grain, while dry on the outside, is still soft and gummy on the inside. An subsequent attempt to mill a few wheat berries resulted in a flattened, semi-soft grain, that I am not sure can be successfully mashed. (I need to get another batch of wheated bourbon going (like tomorrow).

I'll start a wheat malting thread if I come up with any info that's valuable beyond whats already been done. The two that stick out the most are:

Shadylane - viewtopic.php?f=34&t=63123

Fart Vader - viewtopic.php?f=34&t=54820

I've also started to compile data from lab tests of malting factors, specifically this one (altho slightly dated), which measures the effect of variables on amylase and protease production in malt:

http://www.aaccnet.org/publications/cc/ ... 37_363.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Attachments
Malt stages
Malt stages
Fully modified wheat berries
Fully modified wheat berries
15lb wheat piece
15lb wheat piece

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Twisted Brick wrote: Yesterday morning I was able to mash up a 2nd batch of AG wheated bourbon (70-16-14) thamet converted nicely (1.058) on the side while I fired up my pot still to strip bourbon batch #1. (12gal x 7.5% beer). By the time I had collected 7l and had everything cleaned and put away, I was able to cool my mash to 85F, aerate and pitch a gallon of fresh starter and wheel my fermenter back into the garage.
A suggestion from a kindred soul if you haven't seen it. Using Jimbo's Wheated Bourbon/Gumball will had to your production with just a little extra effort:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=39617
Twisted Brick wrote: I then had a few minutes to drain a bucket of raw wheat in what is my first attempt at malting. I also cut some new aluminum window screen to line what I call my malting steamer.
I'm not sure exactly what your method is, but IMO wheat's the easiest grain to malt, once you have it down.
I just finished 10# of feed store wheat to go with 20# cracked corn and 3 pounds malted barley (30-60-10).
I put mine in a pillowcase (that SHMBO won't miss) and soaked it in COLD tap water in an igloo for 4 hours.
Let it drain 6-8 hours or overnight. Repeated 3 more times over 2 days until it showed good sprouts:
Malted Wheat.JPG
Then spread out on my "malting table", a wrought iron table with a sheet:
Malting Table.JPG
Spread the wheat out then sprayed the sheet with water, and let it dry for about a day and a half.
I like using the sheet because I can just pick it up giving it a good shake, then spread the wheat out evenly.
Then it was done and put it in a open container just to make sure no mold until I'm ready.

The barley is tougher to malt to begin with. This has been in a storage bin for months and showed no signs of life, so I gave it an extra 4 hour soak, then spread it on the table.
Still not much activity. But I'm not worried about it because I'm going to add Alpha Amalyse regardless.
Twisted Brick wrote: Then it was time to sample about 250ml of hearts I stole during my strip and it was so delicious it was gone before I could blink. I can't wait to see if wheat malt makes any kind of difference in this recipe or if I have to make a Bernstein Wheat clone (37-51-12) to find out.
Wish me luck.
Congratulations on #1 and best of luck AKA skill on #2.
:D :D
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Thanks for the parallels in your processes TDick. I agree, wheat has to be the easiest of the grains to sprout, and surprised me at how straightforward the process is. Nevermind that a short explanation to the wife that included words like enzymes and conversion and diastatic power had her lost in a heartbeat.

I have read through Jimbo's Wheated Bourbon/Gumball several times and think its a good idea, especially so I don't drink up all my hard work before its properly aged.

Question for you though. When your wheat was done table-drying, was it still moist inside the berry? For a first attempt, it was good experience to dry the malt on the ground (made me feel like the ancient distillers must have done it) but next batch I'm gonna try drying/roasting in the oven.

It's funny how how many different tunnels there are down inside this rabbit hole.

Brick

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Twisted Brick wrote: I have read through Jimbo's Wheated Bourbon/Gumball several times and think its a good idea, especially so I don't drink up all my hard work before its properly aged.

Question for you though. When your wheat was done table-drying, was it still moist inside the berry? For a first attempt, it was good experience to dry the malt on the ground (made me feel like the ancient distillers must have done it) but next batch I'm gonna try drying/roasting in the oven.

Brick
To be candid, I do not know.
First time I did it, sunny weather and temp was in the high 90s. Plus even after putting it in a storage bin, it was a few days before I mashed in.
This time moderate temps with highs high 60's getting down to the low 40's. It rained when I was doing the barley and I let it get wet again for 2 days, it has been outside for 4 days and feels very dry on the outside.
It will still be a few days before I run it through the blender and mash in, so I feel sure it will be good and dry.
T :D