wheat, malted barley, and rye "white mule"?

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

wheat, malted barley, and rye "white mule"?

Post by Fiddleford »

Hello fellow distillers. I have been makeing exclusively corn spirts for the last few years and im makeing a switchup to use rye, barley, and wheat for a un aged spirit, now Im sort of familiar with useing malt In my batches so I alread have that covered.. what im looking for help with is what ratios should i use with the grain i have on hand, now I should mention i only have 5 pounds of rye its not cheap where im from any how im thinking of doing a grain bill of 10% rye 10-15% malted barley 5-10% roasted barley and 70% wheat. I am planning on makeing this a generational sour mash and saveing all the spirits till it gets to 5th generation also the first gen will be and all grain after that it will be added sugar. anyway while im waiting for my barley to malt does anyone have any suggestions they may add helpful tips and/or advice? thank you in advance if so
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
butterpants
Swill Maker

Re: wheat, malted barley, and rye "white mule"?

Post by butterpants »

If you get much over 15% rye I'd get real familiar with exogenous beta-glucanase enzymes.
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: wheat, malted barley, and rye

Post by Fiddleford »

butterpants wrote:If you get much over 15% rye I'd get real familiar with exogenous beta-glucanase enzymes.
if im not mistaken thats the stuff that makes rye paste real sticky eh?i was just reading about that an hour ago
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

Fiddleford wrote:
butterpants wrote:If you get much over 15% rye I'd get real familiar with exogenous beta-glucanase enzymes.
if im not mistaken thats the stuff that makes rye paste real sticky eh?i was just reading about that an hour ago
Beta glucan is the sticky mess and a polysaccharide, beta glucanase is an enzyme that makes it all right.

https://enzymash.biz/index.php?route=pr ... duct_id=62" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

i will have to look into that. know any good article's on the subject?
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

I've gone 1/3 rye and not had issues with it, sure it's a bit slimey but a non issue really
Don't be a dick
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

i like your grain bill, im going to be moving soon so i need to get rid of some malt, and i have a whole sack of rye and a sack of corn and such. Ive been hesitant with rye as i remember the last batch i made was 25% rye with esb and 2 row with Saf05 which was good but the rye seemed to take over after while, tasted too grainy. maybe a slightly more estery yeast and a reflux might make my rye really good.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

Fiddleford wrote:i will have to look into that. know any good article's on the subject?
Lotta info here. Don't need to stray outside of the HD forums
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Re: wheat, malted barley, and rye

Post by jb-texshine »

Chuck that slime in the thumper and don't worry about it.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

ahh.. I have a question i would consider a good one, is it absolutely necessary to dry out the barley malt for whiskey makeing. I know drying it develops flavors that make the whiskey more desirable but im piss poor and only have a over which always dries it to the point where a high ammount of the amylase is burnt out. I did read in the HD bible that old bootleggers would just grind the stuff wet
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Fiddleford wrote:ahh...is it absolutely necessary to dry out the barley malt for whiskey makeing.
If you use it in the mash right away, then probably not. Do you have a way to crush wet barley? That would be your problem to foregoing the drying phase, as you’ll need to open the husks for proper mashing and extraction.

Otherwise, air drying malt in the sun allows you to store the malt longer before it molds. I think kiln-drying will denature the enzymes if over heated. So, a tray with a screen floor and a fan blowing air through the grains is a good way to dry malt.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

yes i will be useing it right away i have a manual mill. i was thinking of mixing the wet malt with my dry grain so it mills a little better i know ill have to mill it a little finer with the wet stuff ive milled under dried malt fresh out of the oven and that stuff doesn't open up it just goes right through, it seems like some of the malt will absorb moisture from the other grains and become mushy like a berrie. I might give the fan method a try i just dont want to risk and infection or molding but my malting room is about 10°c so i shold have no problem doing it in there
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

Just a update I got it all mashed and and fermenting. I ended up useing 10 pounds roasted wheat 5 pounds roasted rye and 5 pounds barley malt, cant say what the specific gravity is i have no hydrometer but i can say it was a good conversions made my hands real sticky smelled sweet like molasses and its got a strong ferment on it cant wait for it to be fineshed
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2