steam rolled corn and mashing

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

steam rolled corn and mashing

Post by jon1163 »

I usually only use flaked Maize in my mashes where I don't need to boil corn for a long time to release the sugars. I've been reading on the forums and all I can find is recommendations that steam rolled corn or rolled corn might "aid" in the conversion while mashing but nobody's really been able to tell me as far as I can read as to if I would need to boil my corn if I had steamed rolled corn. People seem to either use cracked corn or flaked corn, this seems to be a bit in between.

I've attached a photo of what I can get for cheap at the feed store and would appreciate any input on what you guys think. I really don't have time with the kids and the wife and the job and all that to boil corn and I'm really not set up to do it. I generally only have time to do the one step mashing with flaked maize and I'm hoping that I might have found a cheap substitute with this steam rolled corn. Maybe if I put the corn through a Mill and grind it up more but I don't know. I'm happy to stay with flaked maize but if I can get this at $10 per 50 pound bag and have it do with the same thing I'd be thrilled.
Attachments
20180420_084818-600x800.jpg
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: steam rolled corn and mashing

Post by fizzix »

Maybe I'm mistaken -new guy you know- but I thought Steam Rolled was just another name for Flaked.
Now you have me curious, jon.
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

I just got some enzymes from Enzymash. They don't talk about boiling at all in their instructions.
https://enzymash.biz/index.php?route=in ... ation_id=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

fizzix wrote:Maybe I'm mistaken -new guy you know- but I thought Steam Rolled was just another name for Flaked.
Now you have me curious, jon.
Nope, this is what I usually use labeled flaked maize. The little black specks are some residual cararye I had mixed in just disregard those.
Attachments
20180421_171419-600x800.jpg