Looking to work with buckwheat

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Looking to work with buckwheat

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

Was at the feed store tonight and Seen they had 50lbs sacks of buckwheat for 10.00.anyone Do à whisky with IT.how bout malting IT.does IT have good flavor.this is a local CROP so IT interests me.any input would be great.thnx
Last edited by dukethebeagle120 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: Looking to work with buckwheat

Post by Twisted Brick »

Here's an article that shows it can be done, but just know that feed store grains have been bred for higher protein rather than starch.

brewing with buckwheat
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hmmm.i Seen this article before.
Buckwheat is great in pancakes.so Maybe some unmalted and some Say barley to convert.i try to work with unfamiliar grains as if they were bread.usually work out o.k.a protein rest may be in order then i guess.
More help please
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

dukethebeagle120 wrote: i try to work with unfamiliar grains
An honorable endevour indeed. I would be interested in how raw buckwheat converts by itself and then with enzymes and the results of the same test after malting/kilning.

I know I have a write up of treatment of buckwheat stored somewhere, but can't find it at the moment.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Gonna Do some reseach.
I Iike go try new things
New grains hmmm
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Check out néw York craft spirits.they have à buckwheat whiskey
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

This is from "The Practical Distiller": http://www.gutenberg.org/files/21252/21252.txt

ART. IV.

_Distilling of Buckwheat._

Buckwheat is an unprofitable grain for the distillers when distilled by
itself, but when mixed with rye, it will yield nearly as much as rye;
but I would by no means recommend the use of it when it can be avoided.
Tho' sometimes necessity requires that a distiller should mash it for a
day or two, when any thing is the matter, or that grain cannot be
procured. In such event, the directions for distilling rye, or rye and
corn may be followed, but it requires a much larger quantity of boiling
water and if distilled by itself; it is necessary some wheat bran be
mixed with it to raise it to the top of the hogshead: but by no means
use buckwheat meal in making yeast. ~end of subject~
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Duke, you've got me interested in buckwheat, and I found this short read: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10961

I've read that brew shop buckwheat is a starch-heavy gluey goop to cook, so may want to keep at about 25% of bill. (The beer forums recommend no more than 30%)
Going by the "Practical Distiller" article I posted above, I'm thinking 20% flaked rye, and rounding it out with 55% corn. Will have to dose the whole lot with enzymes.

Gotta finish 18 gallons of fermenting Deathwish Wheat Germ, and then on to the buckwheat.

Any thoughts? ...and thanks for piquing my interest in this unconventional grain!
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Duke.. have you done any whiskey's using buckwheat.. and the buckwheat you are talking about, is it the seed or the one that flour in made from.. I have used the kasha and groat in whiskey's..

I've done a buckwheat bourbon style.. 50/corn, 30/ buckwheat groat, 20/ 2 row malt.. aged on charred and med toasted oak, it has a nice flavour.. done one with a grain bill of 40/ corn, 35/buckwheat groat, 1/ 2 row malt, .5/ vienna malt, .5/ victory malt.. aging on the same oak version as the previous one, but only 8 wks old.. will be doing the same grain bill poursion as the first grain bill, but using buckwheat kasha instead of groats..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein