Crystal 77 malt & chocolate malt profile

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BlackSailJ
Novice

Crystal 77 malt & chocolate malt profile

Post by BlackSailJ »

I have some left over crystal malt 77 (1#) and chocolate malt (2#) from brewing a batch of beer. What type of flavors should I expect using these malts separately if added to a simple corn meal and enzyme recipe? I run a 4 gallon pot still, usually 1.5X, with an 10 gallon wash.

Thanks for any advise.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Re: Crystal 77 malt & chocolate malt profile

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

A punch in the friggin' mouth :lol:

Sundae Chocolate Bourbon

Be careful going too much. A little goes a long way.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Without oak you get very complex smoked herbs flavors. A bit scorched flavors too. Very special. But with the sweetnes of the oak it gets more and more chocolate-like and easy to enjoy.
If you use only beer-like 5% of the grain bill or similar, you won't notice: But if you use more you should know that you don't get much sugar from them. Of course you can replace the enzymes, but burned starch will never become sugar.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
BlackSailJ
Novice

Post by BlackSailJ »

Thanks. Pretty much keep it around 5% and age for a while on oak. That link answered just about all of my questions.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Just sampled my 4-month-old barreled Sundae Chocolate Bourbon, and it's taking shape.
Very rich specialty malts. I second the recommendation.
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

I went 10% Chocolate once and it had a bitter burnt taste. I am using this to blend now with blander mellower spirits. YMMV :eugeek:
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

WIski wrote:I went 10% Chocolate once and it had a bitter burnt taste. I am using this to blend now with blander mellower spirits. YMMV :eugeek:
I mashed 100% roasted malts and it turned out great. At least after oaking.
Perhaps because I used rectification?
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=61934
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

Der wo, I remember now reading your adventure after revisiting the thread. My 10% heavy toast has a nice flavor but I find it a bit bitter. Aged only about 18 months. A good friend of mine with a knowledgeable Bourbon pallet said it had an "industrial" showing. He had no knowledge of the mash bill. My experience was that it added something special but 10% was to dominant.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Bitter could be tails. Like I said, I used rectification. I don't know how it would taste with a standard potstill double distilling and normal Bourbon cuts.