Can you infuse some wheat or rye flavors while oaking?

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Can you infuse some wheat or rye flavors while oaking?

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Kegg_jam wrote:I'm sure this is redundant information as many of you know this stuff. But I'm stuck at the lake cabin this weekend with nothing else to do but read. I already knew most of this but it made my mouth water reading it.

http://www.whiskeyprof.com/theres-only- ... ipes-yall/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Great article and thanks for the link. I have been a whisky drinker for years but I have never gotten into the why's until lately. I also joined a local "Malt Manifesto" tasting group that has been fun and informative. I wonder if you could infuse some wheat or rye flavors while oaking? Admin edit .Split this off another topic
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Bourbon grain bills

Post by still_stirrin »

6 Row Joe wrote:...I wonder if you could infuse some wheat or rye flavors while oaking?
Infuse....as in soaking grains in the barrel with the bourbon? It will “leach” qualities out of the grain besides just flavor. It would add flavor, but you’ll also get tannins from grain husk and proteins from the grain itself. This will give you a “cloudy spirit” as well as sediment in the aging vessels.

Now, if you’re asking about “blending” in of flavor essence(s), then sure...it would boost the adjunct grain flavors in your bourbon. Most just add the adjuncts to the mash grainbill and mash it with the rest of the grains.

What’s your goal here?
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Thanks for clarifying. I was just curious. I didn't think about the unwanted extras that would leach out of the grain. I have been stuck on Uncle Jessies for a while now and would like to branch out a bit with rye. I haven't done a all grain yet but I can't wait to try.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

6 Row Joe wrote:...I haven't done a all grain yet but I can't wait to try....
With a screen name like, "6-row Joe"??? I'd have just about bet otherwise.

All grain brewing is where the "art form" comes in. Good luck venturing forward...and don't be afraid to try it.
ss
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

still_stirrin wrote:
6 Row Joe wrote:...I haven't done a all grain yet but I can't wait to try....
With a screen name like, "6-row Joe"??? I'd have just about bet otherwise.

All grain brewing is where the "art form" comes in. Good luck venturing forward...and don't be afraid to try it.
ss
That's funny, I never thought of my screen name like that. Yep, it's time to branch out a bit. There are a few rye recipes here. do you have a favorite?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

6 Row Joe wrote:...it's time to branch out a bit. There are a few rye recipes here. do you have a favorite?
I'd recommend "cutting your teeth" in all-grain brewing with something easier than rye. Rye (even malted rye) is sticky...and tricky.

I'd suggest starting with a bourbon first, keeping the corn to 60%, or less, just to keep things simple. Read the T&T recipes for one that you think you may be able to brew. This one: Jimbo's Single Malt AG comes to mind. Or this one: NcHooch's Carolina Bourbon. Once you're comfortable with the mashing processes, then venture to the adventure.

Just a suggestion...you'll do what you'll do. I just want you to be successful with your first attempt.
ss
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I like rye myself .Simple enough if ya follow recipe .Uncle Jessie gives a good lesson on how .viewtopic.php?f=14&t=926 can also use en zines instead of malt.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

When you're ready 6-Row: Still Life's Rye
Make sure you read down to where he adds the 1lb. roasted barley.

I've had this in a barrel for a few months (destined for a year), and it's coming out pretty tasty.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

fizzix wrote:When you're ready 6-Row: Still Life's Rye
Make sure you read down to where he adds the 1lb. roasted barley.

I've had this in a barrel for a few months (destined for a year), and it's coming out pretty tasty.
Thanks, I'll give that a serious look.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

still_stirrin wrote:
6 Row Joe wrote:...it's time to branch out a bit. There are a few rye recipes here. do you have a favorite?
I'd recommend "cutting your teeth" in all-grain brewing with something easier than rye. Rye (even malted rye) is sticky...and tricky.

I'd suggest starting with a bourbon first, keeping the corn to 60%, or less, just to keep things simple. Read the T&T recipes for one that you think you may be able to brew. This one: Jimbo's Single Malt AG comes to mind. Or this one: NcHooch's Carolina Bourbon. Once you're comfortable with the mashing processes, then venture to the adventure.

Just a suggestion...you'll do what you'll do. I just want you to be successful with your first attempt.
ss
Thanks, I'll give that one a look see as well. Yes, it did sound like the rye could be a mess.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Tater wrote:I like rye myself .Simple enough if ya follow recipe .Uncle Jessie gives a good lesson on how .viewtopic.php?f=14&t=926 can also use en zines instead of malt.
Looks like I need to do some studying. Thanks for the link.