Roasted Steam Rolled Barley

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Roasted Steam Rolled Barley

Post by 8Ball »

So I picked up a sack of steam rolled barley (SRB) from the feed store. 50# for around $20 and it was clean and fresh. Spent the day yesterday roasting it in the oven. Made the house smell good too.

I put the grains in shallow baking pans about 2” deep. I was able to fit 4 pans in the oven at one time. I pre- heated at 325F, set oven on convection roast, and let it roast for 45 minutes total. I stirred the grains half way through. Took the grains out and let them cool down completely, then stored in two five gallon buckets with lids.

The color and taste is similar to a pale 2-row, like a mild nutty biscuit. I plan on using this stuff in an Irish style spirit soon.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Roasted Steam Rolled Barley

Post by fizzix »

Roasted barley is God's gift to mankind... even if you've roasted it yourself.
With a nice rich flavor, it has really perked up a couple of my liquors. And man you got it for a good price!
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I’ve only used it raw in a bourbon and in an Irish. Going to use this roasted SRB with equal parts of 2-row and golden promise and just a little bit of corn, oats, and CaraMunich. The hard part will be staying away from it while it ages ...
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

$20 for 50#! Nice. Last time I was at the feed store they didn’t stock barley but they did have whole oats and corn. Wheat would be a plus as well.

Cheers,
Jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:07 am $20 for 50#! Nice. Last time I was at the feed store they didn’t stock barley but they did have whole oats and corn. Wheat would be a plus as well.

Cheers,
Jonny
Yep, turned out real well in my Banjo Pickin’ Bourbon I aged in a cask for two years. It is about the same price for red winter wheat. There is a large grain co-op distributer that I use. They get the stuff in by the rail car load.

🎱
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Hmmm. I live in Nashville so I'd think there'd be a co-op like that around here. Still looking. I did a 100% red wheat that was very good. Love to do more @ feed store prices... Even if it's not malted I can use enzymes...

Cheers,
jonny
————
————
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

You can malt your own wheat, easy.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:24 am Hmmm. I live in Nashville so I'd think there'd be a co-op like that around here. Still looking. I did a 100% red wheat that was very good. Love to do more @ feed store prices... Even if it's not malted I can use enzymes...

Cheers,
jonny
Dang it, Jonny. Went out to get some gas and the grain co-op was along the way .... come back with a full tank and a 50# sack each of whole barley and wheat. $36 for both sacks. Guy behind the counter looked at me and said that he’s been selling a lot more of the barley and wheat since the lock down started. He said the fellas been telling him that they have been getting bored ... I said, yea, well I’m bored too. Ha! He just cracked up and said he loved customers like me.

🎱
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Correct me if I'm wrong but steamrolled barley isn't malted. It will need some enzymes to convert if it will at all. Steamed rolled feed barley does have some starch to convert but it seems its mostly proteins . You might just use it as an adjunct.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

5CA53FB9-92E8-4B9A-9670-E5353F10262C.png
6 Row Joe wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:23 pm Correct me if I'm wrong but steamrolled barley isn't malted. It will need some enzymes to convert if it will at all. Steamed rolled feed barley does have some starch to convert but it seems its mostly proteins . You might just use it as an adjunct.
Correct, unmalted. It will convert. Stuff is 11% protein, 86% carbs.

🎱
Mash master
Novice

Post by Mash master »

8Ball wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:26 pm 5CA53FB9-92E8-4B9A-9670-E5353F10262C.png
6 Row Joe wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:23 pm Correct me if I'm wrong but steamrolled barley isn't malted. It will need some enzymes to convert if it will at all. Steamed rolled feed barley does have some starch to convert but it seems its mostly proteins . You might just use it as an adjunct.
Correct, unmalted. It will convert. Stuff is 11% protein, 86% carbs.

🎱
Rolled barley may have carbs but without malting the starch won’t convert to sugar so you can roast it or add enzymes but there isn’t any sugar for fermentation?
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Malting is basically germination which creates the enzymes. Without malting just use cultured enzymes. Ie; buy some. Just like unmalted corn.

Cheers!
Jonny
————
————
Mash master
Novice

Post by Mash master »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:01 pm Malting is basically germination which creates the enzymes. Without malting just use cultured enzymes. Ie; buy some. Just like unmalted corn.

Cheers!
Jonny
Sweet thanks 🍻
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

Ok so I've been reading a ton about this.
I've got a 50lb sack and I'm going to Mill as best I can with the roller Mill. I'm not to interested in coarse grind through the kitchenaid add that will take forever.

I'm hoping to get enough to make a gallon. I haven't done calculations for expected yield, as I'll have to attempt a Booner's casual corn store approach. I was gonna to try to run a vodka. I think I'll still strip and run the spirit run with my first attempt on the dephlegmator.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth toasting if I plan to attempt vodka
Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Honest_Liberty wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:44 am Ok so I've been reading a ton about this.
I've got a 50lb sack and I'm going to Mill as best I can with the roller Mill. I'm not to interested in coarse grind through the kitchenaid add that will take forever.

I'm hoping to get enough to make a gallon. I haven't done calculations for expected yield, as I'll have to attempt a Booner's casual corn store approach. I was gonna to try to run a vodka. I think I'll still strip and run the spirit run with my first attempt on the dephlegmator.

You don’t need to mill steam rolled barley. Cook it with high temp enzymes and a drill/paint mixer. It will break up and ferment just fine.
SwollenGoat23
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SwollenGoat23 »

Here in Louisiana I haven't found a feed store that carries barley, only wheat and Millet and only in the winter months (which is only like 2 months down here).
Have y'all a good online gain source?
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

8Ball wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:58 am
Honest_Liberty wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:44 am Ok so I've been reading a ton about this.

You don’t need to mill steam rolled barley. Cook it with high temp enzymes and a drill/paint mixer. It will break up and ferment just fine.
What works be your thoughts if I added angel yeast?
Would that guarantee full conversion?
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I’ve never used angel yeast. If you cook the barley with high temp enzymes then I know it will work. Low temp enzymes will probably work good too. If you cook it at 180F x 60 mins, then cool down to 149F and add malted barley, then I know you will have a good AG whisky. 50/50 malted/unmalted works.
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

Ok thanks