Malting Red Wheat

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Malting Red Wheat

Post by 8Ball »

Malting Red Wheat

I have had best results when malting during cool weather. Hot weather promotes bugs and mold.

1. Line strainer with mesh, (laundry bag works good) set inside pot and fill 2/3 full with grain.
2. Rinse and skim with cold city water until no noticeable trash or floaters are visible.
3. Cover grain with 3-4 inches of water and add a cup of hydrogen peroxide to provide mold resistance and oxygen.
4. Cover with lid, keep dark, let sit overnight x 12 hours.
5. Lift strainer out of pot and set in utility sink to drain x 24 hours. Keep covered and dark.
6. Dump grain into screen trays an and spread out evenly 2-3 inches deep.
7. Stack trays and cover with mesh screen and towels to keep moist (not wet), dark, and ventilated.
8. Mist & stir grains, then rotate trays every 12 hours x 48-72 hours. After 48 hours check closely for white fungus. A little is okay but means that the drying needs to start quickly.
9. Start drying once the center sprout is almost the size of the grain or longer.
10. Dry in full sun x two days. Stir often. Cover with mesh overnight. Use a fan if rain or high humidity is in store.
11. Optional Oven kiln 4 hours as follows:
a. 200F x 1 hour, then
b. 220F x 1 hour, then
c. 240F x 1 hour, and finally
d. 260F x 1 hour
e. Stir grains and rotate trays every 30 minutes.
f. Let cool to ambient. I use liquid enzymes so I don’t worry about the kilning.
12. Transfer to sealed container and store in cool place.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Cu29er
Bootlegger

Re: Malting Red Wheat

Post by Cu29er »

Unless you want to store the malted grains ... look into green malting then directly use.

I've used two buckets, one with 1/8th inch holes drilled over the whole bottom. Sieve inside the second bucket, fill with water to soak 8-12 hours. Lift grain in sieve and place two boards to support and let drain. Then do a mix and water wash every 8-12 hours two or three times until roots are the right length. Directly convert unmalted grain as normal.
Wheat work on 8 hour cycles, corn on 12 hour cycles.
Wheat is easy, corn is difficult.

8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Malting Red Wheat

Post by 8Ball »

+1 on corn is difficult alright.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”