Source for rye in Ontario

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Canadashine
Novice

Source for rye in Ontario

Post by Canadashine »

I cant seem to be able to find and bulk rye in my area. The feed stores around here only have a mix of perennial and annual rye grass seed or winter rye so what I've been reading none of those will make a good drink.
Any help would be appreciated thx.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Source for rye in Ontario

Post by Expat »

Most of the home brew supply stores in the GTA sell flaked eye in 55# sacks around $1/pound. Feed stores are always better for price for grains but I've never seen rye in them.

A pic of what I bought.
rps20190208_083741.jpg
Link
https://torontobrewing.ca/collections/b ... -oio-55-lb

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by StillerBoy »

Expat.. in Toronto you can get rye kernels (berries) for 9.80 for 10K and rye flakes for 10.00 for 10K, which is about .45 cent a lbs from Grain Process Enterprises Ltd.. they have no web site and are a cash and carry location.. they also have 2 row for 35.00 for 25K.. I buy a good part of my grains from them.. their buckwheat prices are the best around, even out of the US..

And Brew North in Toronto has better prices than Toronto Brewing.. https://www.brewnorth.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Thanks Mars that's an awesome reference!

Looking at a new old copy their product sheet they have a huge variety of malts and grains, even molasses. I'll definitely have to check them out. They might be my new Go-to.

Never been to Brew North as Toronto brewing is closer, but I did review their posted prices. BN has the flaked rye quoted at $1.59/LB versus the 0.91/lb at TB. For 2row last time I was buying, TB had the 55lb sack on sale at $30 so it was an easy buy.

Overall bulk supply just isn't easy in the city.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by StillerBoy »

Expat wrote:Thanks Mars that's an awesome reference!
Your're welcome

Based on the research done, red wheat is their equivalence to hard wheat kernels (120-10KG in 10K bag at 10.60), and the white wheat is equivalence to soft wheat kernels (215-10KG in 10K bag at 8.80)..

As for the malted grains, I buy from Brew North..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Canadashine
Novice

Post by Canadashine »

Guess it's time for a trip to Toronto
CanadianIceman
Novice

Post by CanadianIceman »

Have not purchased from them yet so no idea of quality, but i found Valley Feeds in Cambridge listing rye as one of the grains they sell.
dunluce
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dunluce »

My best suggestion for this is to contact a local homebrewer's club. If they do group buys of grains, it may be possible that you can get a contact for bulk rye.
CanadianIceman
Novice

Post by CanadianIceman »

As an update. I bought some and i'm malting it right now. Almost 100% sprouted and very evenly. Great stuff.
JHeron
Novice

Post by JHeron »

CanadianIceman wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:05 pm As an update. I bought some and i'm malting it right now. Almost 100% sprouted and very evenly. Great stuff.
Are you malting rye from Vally Feeds in Cambridge?
Did they have molasses too by chance?
Let me know how it turns out as I am not far from there...
Cheers,
Jon
JHeron
Novice

Post by JHeron »

CanadianIceman wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:05 pm As an update. I bought some and i'm malting it right now. Almost 100% sprouted and very evenly. Great stuff.
Not sure if you are aware nor how the price compares but there is a good selection of rye at SF in Kitchener
https://shortfingerbrewing.com/search?q=malted+rye and they have malted rye a KamilJuices in Guelph too.
Cheers,
Jon
PirateShiner
Novice

Post by PirateShiner »

Short fingers shop is closed permanently as of December 31
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

In sudbury "Cas" brewery/wine store has everything you need. And I mean everything. Great prices too
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
JHeron
Novice

Post by JHeron »

PirateShiner wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:05 pm Short fingers shop is closed permanently as of December 31
I think only the brew supplies part is closing. Sad.
I was talking to Rob in the spring and he was saying then that business for the brew supplies had dried right up over the pandemic.
KJ in Guelph is still going strong by the look of it, I suspect their wine side of things has helped.
Cheers,
Jon
PirateShiner
Novice

Post by PirateShiner »

Yeah I bought a lot of supplies and malt from him this week. Just the brew side is closing
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Find a bakery supply or a Menonite pantry and buy dark rye flour (fifty lb bags) already milled for bread. I'm paying ~$40 a bag. no hulls, just flour.

In the U.S. check out Azure Standard...it's a prepper kind of way to buy grain.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005