Corn in trouble this year

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Corn in trouble this year

Post by MtRainier »

Wonder if bourbon prices will start going up in anticipation of higher than normal corn prices going forward. I have relatives in Illinois and Minnesota that grow corn, and they've said that they don't know when they'll get good conditions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/20 ... corn-belt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: Corn in trouble this year

Post by kiwi Bruce »

MtRainier wrote:Wonder if bourbon prices will start going up in anticipation of higher than normal corn prices going forward. I have relatives in Illinois and Minnesota that grow corn, and they've said that they don't know when they'll get good conditions.
And the 10% ethanol in our gas? The price could rocket if we have a real shortage.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

I figure I will have a bit of trouble this year getting corn with all of the flooding. Feed store prices will probably go up but I Was hopping to get some from a local farmer.

Doesnt fuel always go up in the summer?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Driving through Kentucky and Tennessee you’ll see miles and miles of corn fields flanked by tobacco fields. I wonder if Iowa and Ohio corn even goes to whiskey makers....fuel producers, of course.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

If your going to be a farmer, Ya better like to gamble
Their getting rained out and fertilizer is more expensive.
Due to flooding, the river barges can't haul fertilizer or grain.
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

shadylane wrote:If your going to be a farmer, Ya better like to gamble.
I do but not enough to buy more land & cattle. I watched cattle prices for years & the roller coaster was to much for me. Last I heard, it wasnt to bad but with my luck, I would drop $15,000+ & when it was time to sell, I wouldnt come close to breaking even.
Smokee
Swill Maker

Post by Smokee »

The fields in Lancaster, Pennsylvania are full of corn. Can't say I've seen corn fields in Kansas or the mid-west but I've been amazed how well corn grows here since I moved here in '96. It's already 4' and there's acre upon acre planted this year. I get all my corn local, I found a fella that works at a processing plant. He gives me a 50 pound sack for $25, it's beautiful non-gmo flaked maize. Finding him has been a godsend.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Yeah, the old saying "knee high by the fourth of July" is a pretty slow year for my area too. Plenty of tall corn around.
I also doubt the bourbon market will react quickly to a single year, they ain't selling what they makin for another few years, and are just now sellin' the corn they bought years ago.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Jim Beam just burned down a couple of rickhouses of new make, so they have some catching up to do if they want to keep their profits up in the next few years.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

I had to take a road trip this summer through Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Illinois.
Without a real reference for how much corn has been typically grown, I can say that I've never seen so much corn as I did this past June.

South Carolina grows really nice corn, but the corn fields are little patches compared to the scale of corn grown in Kentucky or Illinois.

Adam Stumpf of Stumpy's distilling set at the edge of a corn field that's been in his family since the 1800s.
In doing the math (for example) a measure of corn that yields $4 gross profit ( pre tax) sold as corn will yield $300+ gross ( pre tax) profit sold as bourbon if you have enough of a processing investment to optimally exploit economy of scale and you own your land.

I find it almost unbelievable that we don't see more farm distilleries at the edge of the crop feild.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

LWTCS wrote:...I find it almost unbelievable that we don't see more farm distilleries at the edge of the crop feild (sp)...
And package liquor stores on every street corner...

Making it is one thing, but it’s got to be sold to bring in the revenue. If production were to dramatically increase, then the excess would drive the “price per gallon” down and the farmers would be just as poor....only over-capitalized 10 fold.

Hmmmm, I wonder how this would affect the “backwoods distillers” who populate the hills. :?:
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Not a good time to be a farmer: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1U618F" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
kakashi
Novice

Post by kakashi »

NZChris wrote:Jim Beam just burned down a couple of rickhouses of new make, so they have some catching up to do if they want to keep their profits up in the next few years.
It'll all be insured and not likely to affect their bottom line. Cynics might even say that fire is a good way to get rid of a bad batch and turn that into cash instead :twisted:
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

kakashi wrote:
NZChris wrote:Jim Beam just burned down a couple of rickhouses of new make, so they have some catching up to do if they want to keep their profits up in the next few years.
It'll all be insured and not likely to affect their bottom line. Cynics might even say that fire is a good way to get rid of a bad batch and turn that into cash instead :twisted:
Dunno about "all". Not sure what company would under right that policy given all of the variables ( like a 100 year old rickhouse filled with a very flammable fuel source). I would think it would be cheaper to self insure? I seriously doubt they'll collect more than the production cost associated with the volume loss.
I'm probably wrong. Usually am.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
gsugg
Novice

Post by gsugg »

MTRain,

What's amazing is that while the Midwest is dealing with that, here in NC we can't get enough rain to keep it alive. About 90% of the corn crop here is barely knee high and already drying in the fields like it's supposed to do in the fall. It won't make enough corn to pay for picking it. My dad used to say if you didn't get corn within a week or so of the tassel putting out (on top that gives it the pollination), it won't make anything.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

I have 10 acres of bloody butcher corn planted in north central Oklahoma that just great should be a bumper crop on our first try.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Call them federal crop farmers.
That fed insurance cover cost not profit but you
plant 13 lbs to the acre then skip bull dog then add in hard summers an there you
have it.

So I'm tole
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

Ive either run into or done some work for several farmers over the years that have been paid to NOT harvest by the gov. Makes no since what so ever to me other than to have that much more control over us. Hell, if the gov would pay me to not harvest/sell my crop like normal, I would do it in a heart beat & keep the crop for the animals or other hobbies. Pigs sure do like whole stacks of corn with ears on it.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

You have no idea how much they pay you to not plant my friends are being paid right now not to farm 800 acres we called mine 10 acres of bloody butcher red dent corn a deer plot to get around that. But not for the electric fence around it the deer would have gotten more then me. Once we pick it the deer can have the stalks. I go up to the farm every hunting season and shoot six for the freezer. That's the legal limit in Oklahoma so no poacher post. Bought my lifetime hunting license for three hundred dollars when I lived there.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Prior to corn being subsidized for ethanol, almost 80% of corn sold in the US was fed to cattle, approximately 10 pounds per pound of beef sold. These days, there's far more corn in the average year (not this one) but over half goes to fuel production. It's a really interesting trend to see much agriculture not being used for food at all. I have no idea what percentage overall gets used for bourbon production, or what percentage of that ships from the midwest, but there's going to be some major shifts in the supply chain.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

It did and continues to inflate the price of beef as more and more farmers switch to fuel corn instead of feed corn.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Sunshineer wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:56 pm It did and continues to inflate the price of beef as more and more farmers switch to fuel corn instead of feed corn.
Yellow dented corn is used for both feed and fuel production
Spent grains from alcohol production is also for animal feed
On a side note, if it doesn't stop raining here
Mold is going to be another problem for the farmers to deal with
One Eyed Ross
Novice

Post by One Eyed Ross »

Whisky should not be made from corn.... (I know, I know, but I do prefer an all barley or rye drink)....