Corn starch

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Corn starch

Post by Sunshineer »

Just scored 100 lbs of free corn starch and I am wondering if I can use it like corn and break it down into sugar and ideas out there would be greatly appreciated :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Corn starch

Post by MtRainier »

Seems like it would work fine. Put in high temp enzyme as you are heating with the cornstarch or else you will make really thick gravy. Might not have lots of flavor but should make plenty of alcohol.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

That's just what I was thinking just wanted to double check with the fellas.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

Was going to add corn meal for flavor and maybe even some grain.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

Was counting on more than one reply to this post come on fellas we can do better than this.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Sunshineer wrote:Was counting on more than one reply to this post come on fellas we can do better than this.
Most steel-ground corn meal is made from corn with the husk and germ removed. An exception is Bobs Red Mill, which I add to my (ground) cracked corn 35%-65% for better flavor (IMHO) in my bourbons.

Corn flour is made from the entire corn kernel, whereas corn starch is made from the soft endosperm. On a large scale, corn starch has been successfully converted to ethanol, primarily for biofuel and as a base for other chemicals. Doesn't mean it tastes good, tho. Like a lotta stuff, it requires all the carbs and fat to taste good.

Maybe use it as an adjunct to increase the ABV of your final wash?
Last edited by Twisted Brick on Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

Thanks for your reply was not planning on using it by itself but rather to boost abv as you mentioned was just looking for input on how much I can add to my corn and grain recipe it's easy to get carried away when you're sitting on 100lbs of starch.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

I usually run 50 gallon batches my fermenter is food safe 55 gallon drums that I have mounted 5 gallon bucket with a screw top lid as an access port.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Sunshineer wrote:Was counting on more than one reply to this post come on fellas we can do better than this.
Sometimes the people best able to answer a question aren't here on the day, have passed on, left, been banned, or just can't be bothered answering the same question over and over, so I suggest learning how to use the HD Google Search before accusing the current members of being lazy.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

Did not accuse anyone of being lazy was just asking for a little bit of input this is why this site is here isn't it? Some of the information is years old maybe someone has a new better way to share don't think that because I'm asking here I haven't already looked and read and maybe even asked elsewhere before I put my question out. I'm not asking here to take shortcuts like I said I was just looking for fresh information.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

NZChris wrote:
Sunshineer wrote:... Was counting on more than one reply to this post...
... I suggest learning how to use the HD Google Search...
Sunshineer wrote:... come on fellas we can do better than this...
... before accusing the current members of being lazy...
Sunshineer wrote:Did not accuse anyone of being lazy... was just asking for a little bit of input... this is why this site is here isn't it?
Well, the site is here to “help those who help themselves”. Doing a proper search will produce plenty of info for those who look.

And whining to the knowledge base won’t get you much support either. Don’t “bite the hand that is (spoon) feeding you”.
Sunshineer wrote:... don't think that because I'm asking here I haven't already looked and read...
But your line of questions makes it sound like that is exactly the case... you haven’t searched properly, nor spent the time reading the many, many replies.
Sunshineer wrote:... and maybe even asked elsewhere before I put my question out...
And you got the same “cold shoulder” silence instead of answers? Hmmm, I wonder why that would happen...
Sunshineer wrote:... I'm not asking here to take shortcuts... like I said I was just looking for fresh information...
Sometimes hobbyists come here and ask the same things over and over without reading and studying the responses. They’ll continue to ask, even complain about the lack of interest in their query, expecting to get a different response, or worse...validation of their presumptive speculation.

So, do your homework first. And then, if you still have questions...ask. But read and study the responses. And please don’t complain about those who have taken the time to reply.

This website has a world of information. Learn how to use it and join in to the fun.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Nothing really positive to say on the subject then SS ??.....if you don't want to answer a simple question why open your piehole at all?
Sounds a lot like you think you make the rules around here.
How about ya get off the newbies arse.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Be nice fella’s :(

still_stirrin NZchris and Salty .... you all spend so much time helping beginners . You are all awesome contributors
to the forum so

Tag team it ... if one of you is having a bad day , leave it to the other or others .Lets not bag out new members or each other . :crazy:

Jezz .. now I sound like you guys .

Where’s the group hug emojin
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

gonna taste pretty bland
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

All I can say is that you just lost a new member because this site has to many pompous azzholes for me. Thank you to all that have given me good information without the bullshit if you don't want to help better to keep your mouth shut. Never have I seen so many people who are in dire need of a blowjob in one place in my life. Spoon feed that. Both of you should go and read the links on corn starch they all talk about converting it from the grain not boosting abv or anything close to it which is what I'm looking for I know using straight starch is going to give me a tasteless product but I should be able to add some into my recipe to boost abv without effecting taste. That is what I was looking for just some fresh input without any bullshit from some azz who thinks their shit smells like roses.
Last edited by Sunshineer on Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CuWhistle
Rumrunner

Post by CuWhistle »

I was going to make a smart-arsed comment about teeth not being sharp and the absence of a queue but decided better of it, so I won't.

Of course the other thing you could do with 100 lb of corn starch is some Chinese cooking. That will make a heck of a lot of Chinese brown gravy and sweet 'n' sour sauce. mmmmm! Chinese prawn omelette in brown gravy.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Sunshineer wrote:That is what I was looking for just some fresh input...
If anyone here who had experimented with this had had some fantastic success, I suspect they would have posted it in the past, but nobody has.

If you hold out your spoon and nobody fills it with what you wanted to hear and you are still convinced there is a better way, try doing your own experiments. Be the first. God knows how many times I've tried 'out there' protocols and succeeded and failed. The lessons I've learned from them is what makes distilling such a great hobby for me.