grain mash questions

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

amikkola

grain mash questions

Post by amikkola »

from homedistiller.org, ive read a bunch of stuff on grain mashes, and each person seems to have a different way of prepairing grains for fermentation.

so, my questions... some were adressed in the sight but seem to be contradicted (ive read the whole sight frount to back at least 2-3 times)

1. can you use flour? i dont ahve a feed store around that i know of.. so could i just use corn/rye/etc flour?

2. can beano be used as a compleat substitute for the enzymes from malting?

3. it said somethign about starch converstion taking place naturaly at high temperatures, so... do you even need malt/ beano/ enzymes? could you just heat up the grain (would it be before or after crushing it?) to a high temperature for several hours?

I apreciate the help!
DBM

mash

Post by DBM »

Cracked corn (chicken feed) is avalable everywhere. Cracked corn, sugar, Beano, and baking yeast makes a fine wash. No cooking necessary.
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

Beano is expensive...you would get better production for the money by just adding more sugar.

It will convert during the ferment, but not near as much of a benefit as another pound of sugar.
Last edited by Grayson_Stewart on Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Fourway
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: mash

Post by Fourway »

Beano is alpha-galactositase and invertase.
It is helpful in the mashing process but it is only helpful.

To mash (that means to convert the starch in the grain to sugar) you need alpha-amylase and beta-amylase.
These come from malted grain, sprouted grain, a fungus called koji or they can be bought in powdered or liquid form from a brewshop or a supplier of industrial enzymes.

Adding beano to amylase in a mash helps break harder to ferment long chain sugars to shorter more fermentable sugars.

naturally if you are adding a lot of actual sugar, real mashing isn't necessary... the grain is just there for flavor.

I'm answering the original question.

and yes you could use flour in a pinch but it would absolutely *suck* to work with. Don't try it.
"a woman who drives you to drink is hard to find, most of them will make you drive yourself."
anon--
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Post by Virginia Gentleman »

And just to add a few sources for cracked corn:

1) feed stores like Southern States, Tractor Supply
2) some "small town" hardware stores carry it
3) pet stores, especially big ones like Pet Supplies Plus, Pet Food Discounters, Petco

From any of these sources just makes sure it's only corn in the bag, no preservatives or additives.

If you want to say roughly where you live, might be able to suggest a store name.
Lord preserve and protect us, we've been drinkin' whiskey 'fore breakfast.
swpeddle
Novice

Post by swpeddle »

My local Co-op farmers supply store has cracked corn going for $16 for a 40kg bag......that's pretty damn cheap as ingredients go.....
DBM

Beano

Post by DBM »

Dont use much Beano--I only use 5 drops in 10 gal wash.
DBM

grain price

Post by DBM »

I'm paying $4.95 for 50 lb bag at tractor supply store.
amikkola

Post by amikkola »

yea, i live in Mass. ill chekc out petco...

thanks...
seedsprout

Post by seedsprout »

swpeddle wrote:My local Co-op farmers supply store has cracked corn going for $16 for a 40kg bag......that's pretty damn cheap as ingredients go.....
AS with DBM I got just shy of 6 bucks for a 50 lb bag (at TSC) ,16 dollars for 20 lbs seems a bit pricy.
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Anyone know if Tractor Supply Co. sells rye? Still searching for a supplier for that.
pangea

Post by pangea »

Virginia Gentleman wrote:Anyone know if Tractor Supply Co. sells rye? Still searching for a supplier for that.
I buy my rye from small independant feed and seed companies. There are a few around here and the last that I bought cost $12 for 50#. I go to a local feed mill and get 50# of course cornmeal for $3.50.
seedsprout

Post by seedsprout »

I forgot 1 pound=.4 kg for some reason I got it backwards in my head that 1 kg was half a pound .. silly things .
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

http://www.convert-me.com/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Virginia Gentleman
Rumrunner

Thanks pangea, I'll try that.

FYI tater and everyone, you can also type conversions into Google, e.g.:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=40+kg+in+pounds