Dry COB

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JC973
Site Donor
Site Donor

Dry COB

Post by JC973 »

So went to TSC today to pick up another bag of Producers Pride COB Sweet Feed and they had Dry COB feed, same mix of Barley, Oats & rolled Corn but without the Molasses, oil and preservatives $13.99

My thought is, I’m going to add sugar anyway, might as well try this and drop the oil & preservatives

Thoughts? Anybody tried it?
If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
metalsmith
Bootlegger

Re: Dry COB

Post by metalsmith »

Picking up any COB has been a trick at TSC. Many stores don’t carry it and can’t order it in. See if they have feed molasses and add that in.
JC973
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JC973 »

They had both, and Sweet COB is what I have using for in my KSSF, just thought I would try the Dry COB to drop the oil & preservatives, not that it matters because I have been very pleased with what I have been making, guess I will find out what difference the molasses makes and if it does, like you said, I can add that in. Guess I’m lucky because they always have the Sweet, I just never noticed the dry before.
Last edited by JC973 on Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I'll be interested to hear your opinion. The Sweet COB make a flavorful drop. Dry COB would make it easier to blow out all the straw and chaff before adding to the fermenter.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

There are a few articles here on using dry COB. Some folks would do a simple sweetfeed by mixing it with water and molasses, others would make an all grain mash cooking it and using liquid enzymes. My personal favorite was buying rolled corn and rolled oats cooking them down and mashing in malted barley , then adding molasses. Made an all grain sweetfeed so to speak. Good stuff right there. Still have a couple of bottles from 3 years ago and it only gets better and better. Flavors will change according to the method you try. See what you like best it is all about the journey.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

corene1 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:30 pm There are a few articles here on using dry COB. Some folks would do a simple sweetfeed by mixing it with water and molasses, others would make an all grain mash cooking it and using liquid enzymes. My personal favorite was buying rolled corn and rolled oats cooking them down and mashing in malted barley , then adding molasses. Made an all grain sweetfeed so to speak. Good stuff right there. Still have a couple of bottles from 3 years ago and it only gets better and better. Flavors will change according to the method you try. See what you like best it is all about the journey.
Im sure that your AG SF is a far superior drink without the sugar bite. Might have to give it a try. Did you do equal parts of each, or follow more of a traditional 51% or greater of corn?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
JC973
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JC973 »

Deplorable wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:14 pm I'll be interested to hear your opinion. The Sweet COB make a flavorful drop. Dry COB would make it easier to blow out all the straw and chaff before adding to the fermenter.
It will be awhile, its been so hot here and half the state is on fire, gonna wait till it cools a bit, until then I will sip on the goodness I have made. :D This fall my to-do list is long and distinguished, with the grace and support of this forum I hope to succeed and report back.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Dry as a bone here as well. it just started raining though, so hopefully we'll get enough rain today and tomorrow to at least soften the top of the soil so it will take water.
I've got a 25 gallon wash of sweet COB fermenting now and will run it this weekend. That'll get me enough to hold me over while I work on a single malt to fill a 5 gallon barrel and put in the shed for a couple of years. After that, I think SWMBO is going make me get onto my HDL and get some shit done around the house as well.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Deplorable wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:47 pm
corene1 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:30 pm There are a few articles here on using dry COB. Some folks would do a simple sweetfeed by mixing it with water and molasses, others would make an all grain mash cooking it and using liquid enzymes. My personal favorite was buying rolled corn and rolled oats cooking them down and mashing in malted barley , then adding molasses. Made an all grain sweetfeed so to speak. Good stuff right there. Still have a couple of bottles from 3 years ago and it only gets better and better. Flavors will change according to the method you try. See what you like best it is all about the journey.
I'm sure that your AG SF is a far superior drink without the sugar bite. Might have to give it a try. Did you do equal parts of each, or follow more of a traditional 51% or greater of corn?
50% corn 20% oats and 30% malted barley. Added 1 quart molasses for every 10 gallons of water and grains were at 2.2 pounds per gallon I stripped about 75% of the mash and stopped collecting when the ABV from the still was at about 15%. Then added the last 25% of the mash to the low wines and did a slow spirit run.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

:thumbup:
Thanks Corene!
dec3223
Novice

Post by dec3223 »

I have a 50 lb. bag of sweet feed ready to use and I have a propensity to want to stay away from sugar spiking. This is exactly what I needed Corene! Thanks for the post. I too use a home made copper pot, copper thumper and worm.

Cheers!