stripped and ready

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Phathead
Novice

stripped and ready

Post by Phathead »

on my pot still without thumper completed my 4 stripping runs on 4 mashs and left with about 4.5 gallons. mash was corn and rye with 6 row malted barley. each run started in the 120 range and I cut them off in 50 to 60 proof range. throwed small amount of fours each run. the only mash I have left is the little bit of liquid left that had all the sediments in it maybe a gallon.
1 do I use that liquid in thumper for spirit run
2 just run minus thumper
should I have kept some of my grain from mashing?
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: stripped and ready

Post by Twisted Brick »

Nice job on completing your strips.

Every distiller has his own approach to a spirit run, but conventional double-distilling means you pot-still a second time and call it a day. Saving a portion of fermented wash for your spirit run yields slight differences in ABV and flavor. Only from experience can you decide if you like it or not.
A thumper is a different story and is not scaled to the volume of low wines you have.

Running trub (cloudy/creamy leftovers from your ferment) is loaded with yeast and will impart yeast notes you may or may not like.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Phathead
Novice

Post by Phathead »

thanks twisted the info on the yeast was what I was after. I'll toss it make my spirit run tomorrow and get some more practice making cuts with a bunch of half pint jars.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Everything that makes it past my paint strainer bag & mop bucket squeezer goes into the boiler to be stripped. I guess my palate isn’t discerning enough to get worried about yeast in the boiler charge. Sometimes, I reserve some wash/wort for the spirit run if I know that my low wines will need to be diluted. I use propane, so a slow heat up ensures that scorching doesn’t become a factor.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”