Corn meal

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jonsmith8608
Novice

Corn meal

Post by Jonsmith8608 »

I'm looking for a good 5 gallon corn meal mash recipe
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: Corn meal

Post by Twisted Brick »

Booners Casual All Corn

Corn meal and both enzymes, each used at proper temps will convert in under 5hrs. Chill immediately and pitch at yeast temp. 2lbs/gal.

Twisted Brick
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Jonsmith8608
Novice

Post by Jonsmith8608 »

So 2 pounds of corn meal per gallon? How mich sugar?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

You asked for a corn meal Mash recipe. TB gave you one.
If you want a sugar head. Your looking for UJSSM. Use the Google search box, or go to the T&T recipe section and find it.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Corn meal and enzymes = no sugar. The enzymes will convert the starch in the corn into sugars.

If you are looking for a corn flavoured sugar wash then check out UJSSM.

And if you want to pick up some ideas for searching on the forum and wider reading, take a look at the Still It videos on youtube. Not the source of all knowledge, but you'll get some ideas of things to look at.

If you keep asking questions to which the answers are easily found by searching, or just reading the recipes in this section someone is going to jump down your throat sooner rather than later. Just saying... ;-)

Edit to add: a bit like that... but possibly harsher!
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

NormandieStill wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:22 am And if you want to pick up some ideas for searching on the forum and wider reading, take a look at the Still It videos on youtube. Not the source of all knowledge, but you'll get some ideas of things to look at.
Or just make it up as you go along.... you'd probably get better results than following along with those idiots.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by NormandieStill »

Expat wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:27 am Or just make it up as you go along.... you'd probably get better results than following along with those idiots.
I feel there's an enormous difference in quality between his recent videos (2020) and the older ones. It's clear that he learnt a lot. They're also quite good for picking up vocab. I learnt of both birdwatcher's and UJSSM from his videos before joining HD. Hence my caveat that they're good for picking up ideas that you want to look for later. I wouldn't try and follow along with a recipe from his videos, but they do inspire to come here and look up the details and do the reading... which I guess is the key point.

Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

Jonsmith8608 wrote:So 2 pounds of corn meal per gallon? How mich sugar?
The enzymes are available on amazon in the us and it is well worth the $27 or whatever it costs. After a couple batches you will wonder why you ever used sugar.
Jonsmith8608
Novice

Post by Jonsmith8608 »

Zeotropic wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:13 pm
The enzymes are available on amazon in the us and it is well worth the $27 or whatever it costs. After a couple batches you will wonder why you ever used sugar.
Thanks I will check it out I've never ran a corn meal mash but I got alot of corn meal so was just looking g for a good one
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

Jonsmith8608 wrote:
Zeotropic wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:13 pm
Thanks I will check it out I've never ran a corn meal mash but I got alot of corn meal so was just looking g for a good one
I was sipping some of my first batch tonight and it is definitely going to be a regular thing. It is my favorite of anything I have ever made and I didn't think I liked corn.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

To slightly hijack this thread, does anyone have a reasonable source for the enzymes in Europe. My normal source for all homebrewing stuff is out of stock of the only amylase that they stock (which is not high temp and requires at least 48 hours to process). SebStar is potentially available shipped from the US but at 100$ or more for shipping on around 16$ of product I'm not convinced by the value.

Berserk
Bootlegger

Post by Berserk »

NormandieDistiller, I've never used them myself so I can't vouch for them, but I have seen them recommended on a Swedish brewing/distilling forum: https://destylacja.com/pl/c/ENZYMY/71

Mind you, the site is in Polish, but most of the relevant terms seem to be similar (enzym, gluko-amylaza, alfa-amylaza etc).
Cheers,
Berserk

He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind.
But he who sticks out in darkness is fluorescent!
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Thanks for that Beserk. I'm hoping to run AG, but having never played much with it, I like having a backup plan to save my mash. Roughly 10€ for 50ml of each, which is apparently good for 300kg of grain.