Clipped Barley

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

mudflap
Novice

Clipped Barley

Post by mudflap »

I went a bit gung-ho at the feed store the other day, and bought 20KG of 'clipped barley'.

I'm in Australia, I'm sure there are plenty of other terms for it from around the world rather than 'clipped' that I should be searching for, however I can't find any record of 'clipped' barley being used in stilling or brewing. My understanding is that it has had the upper part of the palea and awn removed.

My plan is to use it with the following grain bill;

500g cracked corn
3KG clipped barley
4KG malt barley (with diastatic power of 200WK)
500g oats

This gives me a diastatic power of 100WK, which I understand is sufficient.

Anyhoo - my question being - does anyone see an issue with me using the clipped barley in this recipe? Is it worth going ahead with?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Clipped Barley

Post by Sporacle »

There seems to be plenty conversion there, just do a search on the corn gelatinization, I pre soak for a couple of days and then hold it at a slow boil. I think its around 200f wait for it to soften right up then add it when the temps are right. Not sure about the clipped barley, you've got heaps of it so give it a crack and see what your hydrometer says
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Do you have a way to grind that corn and probably the clipped barley if the kernels are still instact? Are the oats rolled? Diastatic power should be fine.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

From a quick read, clipping barley is an undeveloped method of altering the growth characteristics designed to stunt its growth and reduce lodging (bending over of stems) making it easier to harvest. Clipping can also cause shriveled, non-plump, underweight seeds. Feed grains are selected for maximum protein, not starch, so you might not get the flavor/sugar contribution you're looking for.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Twisted Brick wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:48 am … Feed grains are selected for maximum protein, not starch, so you might not get the flavor/sugar contribution you're looking for.
The label on the last sack of feed barley I picked up indicated 11% total proteins, so there is still plenty of goodies left to convert. Malting your own barley is an added plus.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
mudflap
Novice

Post by mudflap »

Thanks for the advice all.

Going to go ahead and see what happens. Will report back.