Golden Promise

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Golden Promise

Post by Stonecutter »

I know most of the industry has moved on but that ain’t gonna stop me from being stoked to use the “Simpson” Golden Promise I just picked up for my next single malt whiskey. I’m also going to use safale s-04 for the first time with this. I’d be interested to hear the opinions of anyone who has used both optic and golden promise lately.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
zed255
Distiller

Re: Golden Promise

Post by zed255 »

My first real whiskey was 75% Golden Promise, 15% Flaked Red Wheat and 10% Flaked Oats. It is still maturing but I couldn't resist pulling a small bottle recently. Was quite impressed with the smoothness and mouthfeel but at about 6-7 months old it is in a awkward place overall. I will revisit after it has its first anniversary.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

One of my first single malts was Golden promise and SA04
Thanks for reminding me. I let it age for 7 months. Seriously, do it! If you can let it age for a a year or 14 months you won’t be sorry.
Do it!
JBC
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

JellybeanCorncob wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:02 pm One of my first single malts was Golden promise and SA04
Thanks for reminding me. I let it age for 7 months. Seriously, do it! If you can let it age for a a year or 14 months you won’t be sorry.
Do it!
Awesome! It’s definitely going down next weekend. I’ll have to have my old lady knock me upside the head after running it so I can forget and let it sit for a while. Booze don’t last long in this house.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Here’s what I’m working on for my next cask fill:

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... t=American
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

8Ball wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:28 pm Here’s what I’m working on for my next cask fill:

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... t=American
Damn 8 Ball you’re in deep (12yrs?) with that cask. Very nice recipe. I was figuring if Golden Promise fell out of popularity in the late 70’s early 80’s to be generous, the 15yr and 25yr Irish and Scotch is, for the most part, all Golden Promise. Not that I would compare the garbage on the shelves to any of the drop you’re putting out Brother.
-Thomas Paine