Grain mill for corn

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Grain mill for corn

Post by Tummydoc »

6 Row Joe wrote:
grain mill.jpg
I remember reading that these work well for the price. Available at Tractor Supply farm stores here in the US. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... _vc=-10005
"Well" is an understatement! 2nd best addition to my hobby ranked just after converting the boiler to electric! Chews 40 lbs of feed corn to flower in 15-20 minutes with 2 fills of the hopper. Just wish the mill would fit on a standard 5 gallon bucket so I could skip their barrel. Their's has an internal lip that makes the last cup of flour not want to pour out.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Tummydoc wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:28 am
6 Row Joe wrote:grain mill.jpgI remember reading that these work well for the price. Available at Tractor Supply farm stores here in the US. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... _vc=-10005
"Well" is an understatement! 2nd best addition to my hobby ranked just after converting the boiler to electric! Chews 40 lbs of feed corn to flower in 15-20 minutes with 2 fills of the hopper. Just wish the mill would fit on a standard 5 gallon bucket so I could skip their barrel. Their's has an internal lip that makes the last cup of flour not want to pour out.
Thanks for the review. It's always good to hear it from someone who has used one. If you are going to buy one, might as well get one that works well. My old cast iron one I posted above works well but is pretty slow and doesn't have much capacity. The hopper is quite small and the output is quite messy. (a rubber boot would help that I am sure) Could you adapt a bucket lid for a base for the grinder so it would fit on a 5 or 6 gallon bucket? Just thinking out loud here.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

6 Row Joe wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:28 pm
Deplorable wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:30 pm
6 Row Joe wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:41 am hand-grist-mill.jpg

I scored a CS Bell grinder that works well. I took off the crank and adapted it to cordless drill power.
Details on the drill mod? Mines got a 3/4" shaft. It'd need a hole drilled and tapped to accept a hex head bolt for the drill chuck or something.
I ground a flat on the shaft and drilled out a old 3/4" 12 point socket for a set screw. I use a 3/8" drive adapter in my drill on slow speed to drive it. Ue a few drops of corn oil to lube the shaft and bushings. I will need to dig for the adapter for a photo in the next day or so. I have been tempted to roll up some metal to enlarge the hopper capacity. Hand shelled #2 field corn does the trick.
Hell, I've got a lot of old sockets around here. I'm going to have to try this. I'm still not sold on this thing for these all corn 25 gallon ferments. I'll likely end up with an AMA mill from Tractor Supply, but I'm trying to reduce the amount of shit I have in the garage, not add more.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:23 am "I'm trying to reduce the amount of shit I have in the garage, not add more".
This type of corn grinder you can leave outside in the flower bed, when your not using it.
mv_mano__metate.jpg
Omnia mea mecum porto
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

contrahead wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:27 am
Deplorable wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:23 am "I'm trying to reduce the amount of shit I have in the garage, not add more".
This type of corn grinder you can leave outside in the flower bed, when your not using it.

mv_mano__metate.jpg
:lol: :clap:
Thats funny. I bet my wife would actually put that to use for stone ground masa.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
kpex72
Novice

Post by kpex72 »

6 Row Joe wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:12 am grain mill.jpgI remember reading that these work well for the price. Available at Tractor Supply farm stores here in the US. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... _vc=-10005
I will third this as a recommendation. I used to use my 3-roller that I use for brewing beer. Bought this and WOW. Buy once - cry once due to the price, but it pays for its self after a few uses, if you value your time. Turns a 50lb bag of whole corn into perfect flour in 25 minutes. BUY IT!
Bee
Swill Maker

Post by Bee »

A $5 blender from a thrift shop will do ya.
hypnopooper
Bootlegger

Post by hypnopooper »

kpex72 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:13 am
6 Row Joe wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:12 am grain mill.jpgI remember reading that these work well for the price. Available at Tractor Supply farm stores here in the US. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... _vc=-10005
I will third this as a recommendation. I used to use my 3-roller that I use for brewing beer. Bought this and WOW. Buy once - cry once due to the price, but it pays for its self after a few uses, if you value your time. Turns a 50lb bag of whole corn into perfect flour in 25 minutes. BUY IT!
I will Fourth this as well. It's great for larger batches, I agree with the sentiments of the others that recommend this mill. Buy once, cry once. As a side note I ferment and distill on the grain so I love having the flour, as it ensures I get the most of the grains. The small particles are no issue for me since I use a Bain Marie style boiler with no heating elements touching the mash.