Too good to be true pricing?

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Too good to be true pricing?

Post by RockinRockies »

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Home-Br ... -In-Sacks-

Planning on making a pretty hefty order with my buddy and trying to think if you guys think this is legit. My local homebrew store can't touch these prices and everything going to get in just the cheapest stuff to make a scotch with to fill my used barrel
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Re: Too good to be true pricing?

Post by dieselduo »

That's a good price but the shipping is a killer. I've bought from them before
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

dieselduo wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:32 pm That's a good price but the shipping is a killer. I've bought from them before
And this right here is what the locals can't touch the prices. Williams is likely making some up on the S&H charges.

Edit to add, the prices aren't that great, a 55 pound sack of malt here is US$56 for base malts.
Support your local HBS. The cost per 5th from a 5 gallon barrel fill is still less than $3.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Deplorable wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:03 pm
dieselduo wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:32 pm That's a good price but the shipping is a killer. I've bought from them before
And this right here is what the locals can't touch the prices. Williams is likely making some up on the S&H charges.

Edit to add, the prices aren't that great, a 55 pound sack of malt here is US$56 for base malts.
Support your local HBS. The cost per 5th from a 5 gallon barrel fill is still less than $3.

Well it said free shipping on orders over $100 so I'm confused
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

RockinRockies wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:42 pm
800# above their search bar could clear it all up tomorrow.
be water my friend
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

RockinRockies wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:42 pm
Deplorable wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:03 pm

It also says
"Heavy Actual Shipping Items and Alaska & Hawaii excluded. " and it looks like all the 55 lbs bags are labeled as "Heavy Actual Shipping Items"
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Are you based out of Colorado (guessing on your screen name)? If so you might contact CMC or proximity directly and see if you can buy a few hundred pounds directly. Another option is to go into one of your local micro breweries and see if you can buy a couple bags off them.
:)
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Yeah I'm in central Colorado and there are some local brew stores I could go to but the pricing for bag was about 10 to 15 bucks better I had a feeling of shipping was going to be an issue.
I'm not sure who CMC is but I'll have to do some research
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Colorado malting company. They are based out of Alamosa, that's a trek if you aren't going to pick up a truck bed full.
:)
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

I've bought stuff from Williams, including my still heads. It is indeed free shipping on equip over $100, but any 55 lb grain bags are NOT included in that.

Not sure how much the shipping they charge, but I've also bought grains from Adventures in Homebrewing. Their shipping calculator told me $37 to ship from MI to PA, which I guess isn't horrible.

That said, try to find a local maltster or grain wholesaler if the CMC or local brewery thing doesn't work out. Heck you could even ask where the breweries source their grains from.
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
hypnopooper
Bootlegger

Post by hypnopooper »

Support your local brew stores. Retail space isn't cheap, and they aren't getting rich selling brewer supplies and grain. They are hurting, they can't compete with the Amazon. The big mail order brew shops like Northern and Midwest are owned by Big Beer such as Gambrinus and AHB subsidiaries. I give my local brew shop samples, and good conversation and he gives me near distributer prices, and will custom order whatever I want. I usually also buy misc. brew accessories as well off the shelf whenever I can to help him out.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

+1 to hypno's HBS support comment, but if you absolutely have to, MoreBeer has free shipping on orders over $59, and from what I'm seeing that includes those big 55# sacks of grain (?!?!?!?).

Duck
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

rubberduck71 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:47 pm +1 to hypno's HBS support comment, but if you absolutely have to, MoreBeer has free shipping on orders over $59, and from what I'm seeing that includes those big 55# sacks of grain (?!?!?!?).

Duck
No the 55# sacks are not free shipping but the 10# ones are over $59.
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

hypnopooper wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:10 pm Support your local brew stores. Retail space isn't cheap, and they aren't getting rich selling brewer supplies and grain. They are hurting, they can't compete with the Amazon. The big mail order brew shops like Northern and Midwest are owned by Big Beer such as Gambrinus and AHB subsidiaries. I give my local brew shop samples, and good conversation and he gives me near distributer prices, and will custom order whatever I want. I usually also buy misc. brew accessories as well off the shelf whenever I can to help him out.
Right on. I'll do that