Best flavored corn?

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sonofliberty75
Novice

Best flavored corn?

Post by Sonofliberty75 »

So I've been using yellow cracked corn an yellow cornmeal off n on, and want to broaden my horizon on corn. So in yalls proffesional opinion, what's the best corn to use in a white whiskey?( Im currently malting my corn and using that to convert starches) I know everyone's taste is different but just seeing what yall like and why. If this has already been discussed maybe someone could point me to where it is! Thanks yall!πŸ‘
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Re: Best flavored corn?

Post by 6 Row Joe »

#2 yellow dent. I don't like the taste of heirloom. (Like Balcones Bourbon uses in some of their juice)
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
Sonofliberty75
Novice

Post by Sonofliberty75 »

6 Row Joe wrote: ↑Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:24 pm #2 yellow dent. I don't like the taste of heirloom. (Like Balcones Bourbon uses in some of their juice)
Have you tried white corn?
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Sonofliberty75 wrote: ↑Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:39 am
6 Row Joe wrote: ↑Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:24 pm #2 yellow dent. I don't like the taste of heirloom. (Like Balcones Bourbon uses in some of their juice)
Not yet. Wht kind of different love does it have?
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
Sonofliberty75
Novice

Post by Sonofliberty75 »

6 Row Joe wrote: ↑Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:39 pm
Sonofliberty75 wrote: ↑Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:39 am
Not yet. Wht kind of different love does it have?
Well I cant say for sure... was hoping you'd know haha but I've read that old timers would say to use white but I dont know why!
Sonofliberty75
Novice

Post by Sonofliberty75 »

Although I just tried my 100% corn whiskey I made a few weeks ago in a test batch and it is a whole lot better after its sat for awhile in a jar... the taste is completely different than it was at first...still has an earthy corn taste at first then when you swallow it it's kinda has a sweet hint to it. Definitely gonna make a bigger batch when the weather warms up!
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

I have experience with only two types. Yellow cracked from tractor supply. And heirloom "hickory king" white dent ground to meal.

The yellow cracked from TSC is running nearly 9 bucks now. The ground white I get from a local mill that's grown local. Runs 20 bucks. I prefer the flavor and smell of the white even though it costs more and further to pick up. Not much of a competition but it's my only options.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Sonofliberty75 wrote: ↑Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:07 pm So I've been using yellow cracked corn an yellow cornmeal off n on, and want to broaden my horizon on corn.
So in y'alls professional opinion, what's the best corn to use in a white whiskey?

Thanks yall!πŸ‘
For what it's worth, FOR EATING purposes, here in The South white corn is preferred because it is sweeter.
And every cook I know uses white corn meal for cooking.

Everyone eagerly waits for Silver Queen corn to hit the markets every summer as it is considered THE sweetest & most flavorful!
silver-queen-white-sweet-corn-treated-seeds.png
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

SmokyMtn wrote: ↑Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:50 pm I have experience with only two types. Yellow cracked from tractor supply. And heirloom "hickory king" white dent ground to meal.

The yellow cracked from TSC is running nearly 9 bucks now. The ground white I get from a local mill that's grown local. Runs 20 bucks. I prefer the flavor and smell of the white even though it costs more and further to pick up. Not much of a competition but it's my only options.
I need to move to a place with a lower cost of living :( TSC corn is 13.99 a bag here.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Farmers got to make up the difference cause exporting is less than favorable at the moment.

Farmer still got them fixed costs
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

And I was upset at nearly 9. Used to be 6
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

LWTCS wrote: ↑Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:44 pm Farmers got to make up the difference cause exporting is less than favorable at the moment.

Oh them costs are FIXED in more ways than one
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Stonecutter wrote: ↑Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:27 pm
LWTCS wrote: ↑Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:44 pm Farmers got to make up the difference cause exporting is less than favorable at the moment.

Oh them costs are FIXED in more ways than one
+1
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Not sure how you mean that?

"Fixed" as in rigged? Certainly for corporate farms.

Fixed costs for small family farms include the payments on some pretty expensive equipment.
179 tax code is not the holy grail if you don't have any buyers or the price of corn goes way south of break even.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I have always prided my self on how little it costs to make a bottle of whiskey thus I have only made my corn whiskey with the cracked corn sold at our local feed store. Would be interesting to have a comparison of different corns and where best to buy them.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

LWTCS wrote: ↑Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:56 am Not sure how you mean that?

"Fixed" as in rigged? Certainly for corporate farms.

Fixed costs for small family farms include the payments on some pretty expensive equipment.
179 tax code is not the holy grail if you don't have any buyers or the price of corn goes way south of break even.
Yes I do believe the whole game is fixed, rigged, boondoggled. I don’t want to make it political, George Carlin said it best.. β€œit’s a big fuckin’ club and you and I are not in it.”
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Sonofliberty75
Novice

Post by Sonofliberty75 »

SmokyMtn wrote: ↑Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:50 pm I have experience with only two types. Yellow cracked from tractor supply. And heirloom "hickory king" white dent ground to meal.

I'd like to get my hands on some white hickory corn!
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

Sonofliberty75 wrote: ↑Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:21 pm

A few places online sale the seed for planting. These prices seem reasonable https://www.willhiteseed.com/0270
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

Sonofliberty75
Novice

Post by Sonofliberty75 »

SmokyMtn wrote: ↑Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:35 pm
Sonofliberty75 wrote: ↑Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:21 pm

A few places online sale the seed for planting. These prices seem reasonable https://www.willhiteseed.com/0270
I see, yeah if I had the space I might grow someπŸ‘
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

A few places online sale the seed for planting.

Seed for planting probably has been treated with preservatives that are likely to be poisonous.

Geoff
The Baker
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

The Baker wrote: ↑Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:58 pm A few places online sale the seed for planting.

Seed for planting probably has been treated with preservatives that are likely to be poisonous.

Geoff
He insinuated he didn't have access to the corn. So I suggested buying the seed for "planting" if you will read again.
I know you could buy the seed using at your own risk to mash. But I was suggesting raising his own
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

SmokyMtn wrote: ↑Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:32 am
The Baker wrote: ↑Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:58 pm A few places online sale the seed for planting.

Geoff
He insinuated he didn't have access to the corn. So I suggested buying the seed for "planting" if you will read again.
I know you could buy the seed using at your own risk to mash. But I was suggesting raising his own
Gotcha.

G
The Baker