Wheat Bran as an Adjunct

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Wheat Bran as an Adjunct

Post by Metalking00 »

I recently ordered a 25kg bag of golden promise and am excited to play around with it. A while ago I made some neutral TFFV, and I liked the smell and taste of the boiled bran. I have a few small bags of various wheat malts that I plan on experimenting with and it got me to thinking of the wheat bran as a flavoring adjunct. I did some searching on here and haven't come across anyone using wheat bran in an AG. Does it add anything worthwhile? I know it wouldn't bring the more complex flavors that various malts could, but I think it would add a basic wheatiness. The reason I was thinking of it is that bran is cheap and easy to get, where the only sources for malted wheat near me are expensive and hard to get to because I work during their opening hours.

Thoughts?

thanks
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Wheat Bran as an Adjunct

Post by still_stirrin »

I’ve used wheat bran cereal in a sugar wash quite successfully. It provides nutrients for yeast metabolism and adds a “soft” bread-like flavor to the beer. And that (delicate) flavor will come over when distilled. But high rectification will reduce the congeners, so do your sprit run with a potstill if you want to preserve the wheat character.

If you have an economical source for wheat bran, then have at it.

I have access to (raw) whole wheat mid-summer because we raise it on the farm. So, I’ve started to malt my wheat berries at home now. It is really quite simple and only takes a few days and little specialized equipment. Anybody can do it if you want. “When given lemons … make lemonade”.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K