grain bill

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

psf
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: grain bill

Post by psf »

I want to do that with a keg. I also want to make a frame to attach a drill. It will attach to the top and and allow it to stir constantly during heat up. Some one post a video earlier with their drill sit up.
You could write a book on the stuff I don’t know
bez
Swill Maker

Post by bez »

psf wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:22 pm I want to do that with a keg. I also want to make a frame to attach a drill. It will attach to the top and and allow it to stir constantly during heat up. Some one post a video earlier with their drill sit up.
That would be nice to do, maybe some day I'll look into that myself as well. We are coming up into racing season and fab work gets put to the back burner lol.
bez
Swill Maker

Post by bez »

I FINALLY got back around to mess with this project and id say it was a success!
-Process-
*Heat 13 gallons of water to 155 (i chose 13 gallons because with the evaporation during cooking/mashing i would end up with the 12.5 gallons i was going for)
*Add the milled corn in and stir with mortar mixer (speed set on 1 on my kobalt 24v drill) till it hits 195 degrees then kill the heat
*Drain into fermenter (with only using 17.75lbs of corn in the 13 gallons of water its not REAL thick it drains easily)
*Add remining grain and mix well with mixer
*Add 10 ml of sebstar htl and mix it in, cover and insulate (I wrapped the fermenter with reflectix and covered the top with a balled up blanket), wait for 2 hours
*unwrap and open fermenter let cool to 145 degrees then add sebamyl, rewrap and cover till the next day (couldn't get temp down low enough before I had to go to bed)
*took temp after work and it was 97 degrees mixed and instantly dropped to 94, took some liquid out in a shot glass and put in the freezer to cool it, check with my refractometer and was 1.074
*added 1tbsp dady yeast.
Avalir
Swill Maker

Post by Avalir »

Wish I read this a couple weeks ago. Once you master the corn kernel, everything else falls into place. Your corn grind looks great. I let mine stay slightly coarser as when I first started AG and not knowing what I was doing, the finer flour has scorched on me. Not an issue for me anymore, but I personally don't find it necessary to go that fine, but finer definitely can help with starch extraction. As part of my prep, the night before I mash, I'll go ahead and pour just enough boiling water over the corn to cover it in a few 5 gallon buckets (~1.5 gallons water to 8 lbs corn), and I also like to put a couple drops of the high temp amylase in each bucket (helps gets gelatinization going better than without and also makes it so you're not needing to scrape a brick out when you start mashing). Then slap a lid on the bucket and let it rest until you're ready to go. I like to give it a good 12 hours, though 6 hours gets it good enough. If you wait longer than 48, it can start getting funky. And of coarse when you go to finish the job, bring the water to a boil before dumping in the corn slop. I've found doing this prep work will tend to reduce my active corn cooking time in less than half.
"I am a man. And I can change. If I want to. I guess." ~Red Green
Bee
Swill Maker

Post by Bee »

bez wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:25 am Well it was somewhat of a success.....my starting SG was only 1.035 😔..... I'm thinking I didn't have the temp high enough for good conversion with the corn.
bez wrote:Oh and BTW I upped my mash to a 35 gallon mash because it came out to basically 1 bag of corn
You were only at about 1.4lbs of grain per gallon of water. I think your OG is about right for that.
bez
Swill Maker

Post by bez »

Bee wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:06 am
bez wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:25 am Well it was somewhat of a success.....my starting SG was only 1.035 😔..... I'm thinking I didn't have the temp high enough for good conversion with the corn.
bez wrote:Oh and BTW I upped my mash to a 35 gallon mash because it came out to basically 1 bag of corn
You were only at about 1.4lbs of grain per gallon of water. I think your OG is about right for that.
I adjusted my grain weights to the 35 gallon mash. The problem was my temperature dropped too low for a good extraction of starch.... I have since put the "easy large batch" method aside for the time being and just cook 12.5 gallon batches now.