Question on flaked corn maze

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pro65
Bootlegger

Question on flaked corn maze

Post by pro65 »

I have several pounds of flaked maze and 6 row pale malt. My past exsperiance is on the first mashing you heat your water to 165deg and then turn off the heat and add 8.8lbs of flaked maze and stir it until it thickens. Then after it sets for a little time you add the malt and stirr and so forth.

My question is after the fermintation is complete and you rack it and you charge your still and make your run, could Iuse the back set left in the still when it gets down to 165deg to pour it over another 8.8lbs of maze to start another batch and just add enough tap water to bring it backup to the 25L starting point or would the ph be to low. I know i will still have to add malt and yeast but was just wandering if the back set idea would work.

If I can what benefits would this add? More flavor etc.
Thanks again guys.Derrell
Moonshine the flavor of the South.
trthskr4
Distiller

Re: Question on flaked corn maze

Post by trthskr4 »

I wouldn't use more than about a gallon in a 25L ferment but would use it most definately. The benefit is that it does get the ph into a range more accomodating to the yeast and it adds alot of flavor to the mash and subsequently the whiskey.
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

I use about 25% backset, i believe i get my very best conversions and flavour with this method. just seems to work better, acheived a 1056 yesterday, which is about the best i've done. 8)
Dutchmancreek
Swill Maker

Post by Dutchmancreek »

I'm with Punkin on this one. I always put backset back into the fermenter. I tried a higher percentage but down to about 25% seems to work best. The flavor is best after about 3 generations of backset. Just watch your pH.
Never take off your hat, never sign your name
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

I think he's talkin' about using backset in his mash water to mash the next batch of corn....not putting it in the fermenter.

But, I think the answer to both is "yes". You can use backset to do either. I would stick to the amounts suggested though (about 20-25%). It lowers PH and makes things slightly more acidic....which can benefit either scenario. Too much backset would make the PH too low and you'd get bad conversion on your mash, and/or bad conversion in your fermenter as well.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Yes, 25% backset in my mash water (and 60% sparge water, thanks dunder)
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

What I do is take all the ideas that sound like the mite work,, try them , use the ones that work for you or a combination of .
you will fiend that some witch works for one mite or mite not work for you or it mite work grate.don't be afraid to try different things.
some very simple changes make a whould of difference.also beer/wine sites have some useful ideas/info also
pro65
Bootlegger

Post by pro65 »

Usge wrote:I think he's talkin' about using backset in his mash water to mash the next batch of corn....not putting it in the fermenter.

But, I think the answer to both is "yes". You can use backset to do either. I would stick to the amounts suggested though (about 20-25%). It lowers PH and makes things slightly more acidic....which can benefit either scenario. Too much backset would make the PH too low and you'd get bad conversion on your mash, and/or bad conversion in your fermenter as well.
Yeah that is what I ment, if I took the back set straight from the still and let it cool to 165deg then poured my flaked maze in it and stired it until it thickened and then go from there.

It would just stop the process of having to boil water to 165 deg on the stove. I know that I would have to add tap or distilled water back in to keep ph right.
Moonshine the flavor of the South.