Forum Search Tools

This forum is used by 1000's of people from dozens of countries. Please observe the rules, we all want to get along and contribute in a graceful manner.

Moderator: Site Moderator

HookLine
retired

Forum Search Tools

Post by HookLine »

Search Tools

Here are some tools that can be used to find information on the HomeDistiller site (the home site, the forum, and the Wiki). Links to most of these tools can be found in the header at the top of every page on the HD forum. Use them to search for specific information on HomeDistiller, before asking for that information on the forum.

These tools are

1) the Static Menu for the home site,
2) the forum's own search tool, and
3) this HD specific Google search phrase:

site:http://homedistiller.org/forum [insert your search terms here]

For example:
site:http://homedistiller.org/forum tequila
or
site:http://homedistiller.org/forum "fruit mash"

The HD specific Google search phrase has many advantages over the forum's own search tool. It is able to do phrase specific searches, (the ones placed inside quotes, as in the second example above), which can greatly reduce the number of less relevant search results. It is a whole site search, while the site's internal phpBB search removes many common words, making some searches harder to perform. The Google search has better logical selection (AND, OR, NOT, etc), where you can better qualify what you are interested in, allowing you to narrow in on fewer search results which contain more of what you are interested in. Also, the Google ranking (relevant pages higher up), seems to work better than the phpBB search.

There is also this multi-site Google search tool specifically for hobby distilling sites (in English).

And don't forget the HD Wiki, though that still needs a lot of work.

[The External Link Rule is now in a separate post here.]
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Husker
retired

Understand Google Dorks

Post by Husker »

When using Google to search any site (also this is a problem as Google doesn't crawl the site instantly, which can be a problem sometimes...) the search should look more like this:

site:http://homedistiller.org intext:"search term" < I suggest using this on the HD Google search as the stock search term for people as it will help out alot. Notice I dropped the /forum part aswell.

it is very important to put quotes in the intext: search as that searches for both words in one place (if using two words) also important that after a Google dork (the intext: part) that there is no space between the : and the start of your search term.

This link may help some of you further narrow your search - http://www.googlebig.com/list_of_query_ ... of_google/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

:egeek:
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Denis Zen
Novice

Re: Forum Search Tools

Post by Denis Zen »

Very helpful! Thank you for your time and effort!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I type site:homedistiller.org/forum/ into the URL followed by the search term. That gets me better results than the search bars offered on the forum pages. It doesn't seem to make much difference if you type the same query into another search engine .... I often don't use Google.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

NZChris wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:56 am I type site:homedistiller.org/forum/ into the URL followed by the search term. That gets me better results than the search bars offered on the forum pages. It doesn't seem to make much difference if you type the same query into another search engine .... I often don't use Google.
👍, another way is to type your search term and site
setsumi's twins homedistiller. org
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Regina80+
Novice

Post by Regina80+ »

Gin column
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Regina80+ wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:41 am Gin column
How does this relate to the thread? Are you looking for information on gin?
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

Is there a way to read just the threads of a member. As in I want to read threads from people who make rum. Some of them have over 6000 posts. That's too much to go through.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Click their profile.
Then under total post
Click search users posts
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

Sporacle wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:50 pm Click their profile.
Then under total post
Click search users posts
The user post shows contents where they replied in someone's thread. I am wanting a way to just see the threads a user post. For example you have close to 1000 posts. I'll bet less then 50 threads. Much easier
T
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Then advance search when in that person's total post for key words.
This site is about doing a lot of searching, bookmarking and filtering.
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Tōtōchtin wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:48 pm
Sporacle wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:50 pm Click their profile.
Then under total post
Click search users posts
The user post shows contents where they replied in someone's thread. I am wanting a way to just see the threads a user post. For example you have close to 1000 posts. I'll bet less then 50 threads. Much easier
T
Some high post count contributors hardly ever start a thread of their own.

Use a variety of 'best guess' keywords and include their user name. The more time you spend searching, the better you will get at it, but...

The older a post is and the more complex the subject, the more likely it is that the poster has moved on from what was posted at the time.