email from Brewhaus

This forum is used by 1000's of people from dozens of countries. Please observe the rules, we all want to get along and contribute in a graceful manner.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: email from Brewhaus

Post by Rastus »

i noticed the middle one mentioned this:

"The man, whose identity was not immediately released, is said to have purchased the equipment for $750 from a Mississippi eBay seller."

makes for interesting possibilities. sounds like that was how they figured it out.
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
lampshade
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by lampshade »

Geesh, law enforcement should watch Tickle and Tim.

Tickle and Tim, and other moonshiners, use 500 gallon submarine stills to make beaucoup bucks from beaucoup gallons of shine for sale. Otherwise, all of their hard work wouldn't be worth their while.

The guys, in the referenced articles, are at best making a few gallons for hobby, home use. They are barely covering, if at all, the costs of their copper investment, and certainly aren't covering the cost of their labor. Apples versus oranges!

It's similar to the home garden: The economics of most home gardens does not match the economies of scale of agribusiness, which includes the farmer, the supermarket, and all of the middlemen. But this economic equation does not account for the satisfaction of growing your own vegetables for home, and possible freely-given-to-neighbor, use.

P.S. I know this is preaching to the choir. But I feel this point is worth repeating. Again and again and again.

P.P.S. My arguments should not be mixed with arguments for growing marijuana at home. Alcohol consumption is legal, marijuana consumption is not. So if pressed, I would agree that one should be allowed to raise a few pot plants, at home, for personal use, but that he should be arrested once he consumes them. Again, apples versus oranges.
In Flanders fields the poppies blow * Between the crosses, row on row, * We are the Dead. Short days ago * We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow, * Loved and were loved, and now we lie * In Flanders fields. -- from a WWI poem
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

except for the second link, the other two links are useless to this discussion - this is about buying a still from a manufacturer that is forced to record and provide client information when requested by the law. The first and last link provided are home built stills - I have seen some b.s. stills out there, but those are way too hokey to apply to this discussion

as for why not bust tickle and tim, or other large manufacturers - it is easier to nail the hobbyist - the larger producers know how to keep quiet (like one of them said, we have to be lucky all the time - they only have to get lucky once). They know they are not going to stop the hard core shiner from making likker, but they sure the heck know that when they nail a bunch of hobbists that anyone in the pipeline looking to start up will give it serious second thought, and have to justify it to a spouse usually.

And with the big makers, finding them is difficult - with the manufacturer lists, they have yer name, address, phone, and what you bought ...
LTV - "keep in mind distilling is like masturbating. You do one wrong and you go blind."

Want to keep people from consulting idiots on youTube about distilling?? Don't be an idiot when someone asks for advice ... Help them
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Well now, it would seem by Mashrookies account venders are not forced to record the personal details of its customers but have chosen to for there own reasons and have done so knowing one day they may have to hand those records over. It would seem to me they found the records handy and were betting that day wouldn't come, it has and that disregard for the welfare of there customers looks pretty disgraceful from where I sit. If such happened to me here I would feel very betrayed by such venders
One would hope lessons have now been leant, they not selling toasters and associated toasting products :roll:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

just a reminder crow...

the manufacturer in the US of A is required to serial number the still head, and keep documents, basically account for it, and if it is sold by the purchaser as i have read in some of these news posts, it must be documented.

also it seems in some of the many articles i found when i searched moonshine arrest in google news, they were looking for parts and useful items that could be used to distill including yeast, or copper pipes... so, if someone bought a still from a manufacturer rather than make their own it was legally required for the manufacture to serialize it and keep record and thus makes it easier to follow where it is and check it out.

so it seems, as the database of all the internet starts distilling information and documents and purchases and conversations, big BRO is putting the puzzle pieces together then notify the locals with a tip, that will result in a warrant to search and thus make our country more safe and secure.

:shh:
But he loved her Still
nabtastic
Novice

Post by nabtastic »

lampshade wrote:Geesh, law enforcement should watch Tickle and Tim.

Tickle and Tim, and other moonshiners, use 500 gallon submarine stills to make beaucoup bucks from beaucoup gallons of shine for sale. Otherwise, all of their hard work wouldn't be worth their while.

The guys, in the referenced articles, are at best making a few gallons for hobby, home use. They are barely covering, if at all, the costs of their copper investment, and certainly aren't covering the cost of their labor. Apples versus oranges!

It's similar to the home garden: The economics of most home gardens does not match the economies of scale of agribusiness, which includes the farmer, the supermarket, and all of the middlemen. But this economic equation does not account for the satisfaction of growing your own vegetables for home, and possible freely-given-to-neighbor, use.

P.S. I know this is preaching to the choir. But I feel this point is worth repeating. Again and again and again.

P.P.S. My arguments should not be mixed with arguments for growing marijuana at home. Alcohol consumption is legal, marijuana consumption is not. So if pressed, I would agree that one should be allowed to raise a few pot plants, at home, for personal use, but that he should be arrested once he consumes them. Again, apples versus oranges.
I'm assuming this was sarcasm, but the show Moonshiners is a farce at best. Reference wiki or the Fox news (no, really):
"Virginia authorities have stated that no illegal liquor is actually being produced by the people depicted in the show. The Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control said in March 2012 that, "If illegal activity was actually taking place, the Virginia ABC Bureau of Law Enforcement would have taken action." They should be fined (they being the producers) because it's caused a lot of confusion over the true legality of home distillation. E.g.- T&T are assholes.
I run a small (legal) distillery and I advocate the decriminalization of home distillation. I believe there should be a competency test for distillation (similar to teaching or welding). I also advocate a competency test for parenthood. wear a condom.
drinkingdog
Rumrunner

Post by drinkingdog »

How could anybody be confused, the disclaimer at the beginning of the show says it is illegal and not to try this at home :roll: :D
My Grandpa used to say. Don't argue with an idiot, because he will just drag you down to his level then beat you with experience.
He also used to say. I didn't say it was your fault. I just said that I was blaming you.

DD
nabtastic
Novice

Post by nabtastic »

Do not confuse the general public with the intelligent / literate public. I'm in the industry and people are very cavalier about their shine or their friend's.. and most will argue to the end that its legal for personal consumption, or under so arbitrary qty
I run a small (legal) distillery and I advocate the decriminalization of home distillation. I believe there should be a competency test for distillation (similar to teaching or welding). I also advocate a competency test for parenthood. wear a condom.
lampshade
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by lampshade »

nabtastic wrote:Do not confuse the general public with the intelligent / literate public. I'm in the industry and people are very cavalier about their shine or their friend's.. and most will argue to the end that its legal for personal consumption, or under so arbitrary qty
My brother is a cop for a big city and he once told me that making likker is legal as long as it's not sold. So even a cop can be uninformed.
In Flanders fields the poppies blow * Between the crosses, row on row, * We are the Dead. Short days ago * We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow, * Loved and were loved, and now we lie * In Flanders fields. -- from a WWI poem
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

hmmm made me think a new show... the uninformed uniformed... :lol:

sorry couldnt help it
But he loved her Still
nabtastic
Novice

Post by nabtastic »

I mean no offense, but a former biology professor would always say "ignorance is no excuse."

I second the uninformed uniform by the way.. reminds me of a clip from Bigger, Faster, Stronger where a politician is being interviewed and says that the drinking age is 18 in his state - you immediately hear an adviser correct him to 21..
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

I would highly doubt the show makes real likker, but the stills they use are actually illegal ...
LTV - "keep in mind distilling is like masturbating. You do one wrong and you go blind."

Want to keep people from consulting idiots on youTube about distilling?? Don't be an idiot when someone asks for advice ... Help them
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

wonder if they get around the stills by claiming them as "props" for entertainment industry ...
But he loved her Still
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

well, figuring if they actually got caught whole production crew would probably get nailed.

foolproof
Novice

Post by foolproof »

I see this post is from 2013. What ever came of this? Has anyone on this forum ever been visited by big brother?
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

This hasn’t been discussed since 2013 for a reason, no one gives a shit anymore. LOL
Follow the rules of don’t tell / don’t sell and your good to go. Very few people in the states end up getting caught. Even the back woods hill jacks that are selling for a profit rarely get caught. Google it and you’ll see that its very rare and damn near always someone transporting it. I know one person that got caught and he was a total idiot about selling and telling. Sold to a cop, knowing that he was a cop. Think of the scene from our idiot brother.
Keep it to yourself & the forum and you’re going to be fine.
Don’t let the paranoia get the best of you!
Cheers
Irish
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
foolproof
Novice

Post by foolproof »

Good to know. Thanks Irish