3" copper source?

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

trial&error
Novice

3" copper source?

Post by trial&error »

so i have been looking for copper pipe and i'm hard pressed to find anything over 1.25". the cost also exponential grows as i get bigger then 1". i can build a still with 5 1" columns cheaper then i can build 1 3". or i can go to stainless, but then i have to get it welded and i dont have a TIG welder.... :?

only problem is doing VM at 1", i think i can get away with LM using a 1" OD for the cooler and 3/4" for the vapor pipe...

were are you guys getting your large diameter copper for your setup?
olddog
retired

Re: 3" copper source?

Post by olddog »

Most plumbers supliers have large diameter pipe, thats where I get mine
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
eternalfrost
Trainee

Post by eternalfrost »

you can get nerly everything you need from mcmaster-carr

3-in pipe
http://www.mcmaster.com/#copper-pipe/=1u31j9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

where on earth are you located and you might get some specific answers that are cheaper.
trial&error
Novice

Post by trial&error »

eternalfrost wrote:you can get nerly everything you need from mcmaster-carr

3-in pipe
http://www.mcmaster.com/#copper-pipe/=1u31j9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
still $100+
$52.00 US for 24"
olddog wrote:Most plumbers supliers have large diameter pipe, thats where I get mine
most here don't have that size, if the do its spacial order
Ugly wrote:where on earth are you located and you might get some specific answers that are cheaper.
that's classified, but its south of you some ways

how slow would a 1" LM system be?
what if i had 1 column and 2 heads?
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

$50 for 1 metre, 3ft 4inches, in OZ
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

trial&error wrote:
Ugly wrote:where on earth are you located and you might get some specific answers that are cheaper.
that's classified, but its south of you some ways
how slow would a 1" LM system be?
what if i had 1 column and 2 heads?
Well, since you're not into countries or continents, I can only assume it's Antartica. In that case, you can mine and smelt the copper yourself after tunneling through the ice. Don't forget to add some phosphorous before extruding.

I'm fairly confident in saying it would be slow, even my 2" isn't particularly fast and I think I might try a 3 in the fall. If you check the calculators and build specs on the parent site, you can do calculations of different height/width combos.

http://homedistiller.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow - check out the static menu
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

The upfront cost is not cheap for 3". But, once it's built, you have a lifetime unit. I got into this when copper was way high, paid $38.00 a foot for my 3".
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

Check out Ebay and you'll find short sections of all different size pipe and tubing that folks have used and had some left over. Even if you have to buy a union to put 2 pieces together it's ok. Not ideal but ok.
15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
IdahoMole
Novice

Post by IdahoMole »

In my neck of the woods.....somewhere north of you I suppose.......I hooked up with a recycler that also sells. Copper, stainless, food grade barrels.......Ya gotta call ahead and you might have to wait a week or two but they will hold if they got it. Bought two peices of 2"x33" copper for $15.

Mole
Where's that confounded bridge?