Glass carboys

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fecus
Novice

Glass carboys

Post by Fecus »

Been reading up on glass carboys here. So they break alot. I see milk crates for holding them and even wrapping with duct tape. Good ideas. Any body ever wrapped one with rope and epoxied the rope? I've seen some old bottle somewhere that was done that way and they look cool.

Was also researching on cutting and drilling carboys. Seems drilling is possible with a diamond bit on a dremel if you keep it lubed and cooled with water and also cutting with a diamond wheel for dremel. I can find the links for those articles again if anybody wants a look at em.

Carboy brushes? Some say hard to use. What about putting a rag on a shaft for a drill, stick it in the neck and turn on so it does like a weed eater string? Maybe even use weed eater string for the hard to get off stuff?

So why would anybody want to cut or drill a glass carboy? Just because :lol:
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Glass carboys

Post by Dnderhead »

In my opinion do not drill/cut carboys once it is done they brake very easily.
FeralPig
Swill Maker

Post by FeralPig »

I have the same 3 glass carboys I started with in 1992. I am not particularly careful with them. I have never had trouble cleaning them. I just use a long bottle brush.
This is so much fun it ought to be illegal..wait..never mind.

51" LM and a 24" Pot still with 62" Liebig with turbulator and spiral coolant swirler thingy. Both running on an unmodified keg with Tri-clover clamp attachment.
Dutchmancreek
Swill Maker

Post by Dutchmancreek »

To clean carboys (and bottles with dried material in the corners) I put in water, detergent, and a length of brass or stainless chain (small links). Shake it around and the chain will scour off all the bad stuff. Rinse, sanitize, and you're done.
Never take off your hat, never sign your name
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Ok so I use several 3 liter jugs to do most of my collecting (excluding spirit runs) and aging.

I am typically storing these jugs in the fridge when not in use.
I am typically storing these jugs in the fridge when "racking"
I am typically swishing around a quantity of heads within the jug in between use for different batches.

I have not washed with soap these jugs.

They smell,,,,,,,,,damned good. They smell,,,,,,,,,,seasoned.
I have not detected any hint of "off smell"

Any thoughts?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
astrangebrew
Novice

Post by astrangebrew »

I’ve been using glass carboys for about 25 years (God! Has it been that long?!). Only ever broke one (full) and that was my own darned fault. I rinse them out immediately after use and dump in a cup of sulphite sterilizer and cap off with Saran rap for storage. Most times I can go several years before they need a heavy cleaning.
For a good cleaning I use a 24”L bottle brush (3” W nylon bristles), you can bend them to get to the inside neck and shoulders but the real bit of magic is a strong solution of Stericlean SDC.
Mix double strength and make enough for the full carboy, water should be luke warm let it sit overnight. If fact when I do that I move the fluid from carboy to carboy & do several at once. This has always worked for me, even on jugs that have been sitting empty and nasty for years. Another trick is using automatic dishwasher detergent – very aggressive stuff that!
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
Groucho
Lagerman64
Novice

Post by Lagerman64 »

Lol, astrangebrew I've been using glass carboys for over 19 years :twisted:
heynonny
Swill Maker

Post by heynonny »

I have four glass carboys left (from the last 30 years) and about 15 plastic ones. Some were pretty grungy and dirty inside. I have found the best method (for me) to clean is to use dishwashing detergent for cleanser. The dishwasher cycle is basically a 'soaking' method of cleansing, after the (crud) is loosened, it is just rinsed away. I used to brew beer, and scrounged anywhere for bottles, and found them in filthy condition. also if one lets the sludge (in carboyz and bottles) dry, that stuff can be a hassle to remove. Just let them soak, the worse, the deposit, the longer the soak. You might let it soak for a month, or more, for the worst crap deposited. Also, a soak in a strong bleach solution works in the same way, with the added benefit of sterilization.

fwiw I used ultralite malt + honey, and Lublin / Hallertauer hops, and, I think it was called 'New York ale' yeast. All on a SLOW ferment, like 2-3 months. -hey-

Oh,look!! Its a hole in the space-time contuum!!