¿Old Fire Extinguisher?

Putting older posts here. Going to try to keep the novice forum pruned about 90 days work. The 'good' old stuff is going to be put into appropriate forums.

Moderator: Site Moderator

mjdtexan
Novice

¿Old Fire Extinguisher?

Post by mjdtexan »

I saw this picture while reading about different stills and was wondering if this is one of those fire extinguishers that you put water in and then pressurize with air? Would those be safe to build a still out of? I have a couple of those.

Current Wine Maker.

I see you, through the glazed eyes of a barfly------Moe Szyslak
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: ¿Old Fire Extinguisher?

Post by Dnderhead »

I see no problem if it is stainless. many that I found was brass plated with chrome or nickel.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

They do work. Most are stainless or copper, and once you get the valve and seals out, and find a way to attach a pipe to it, they will do the trick.

However, they are tall/thin and have a habit of boiling over pretty easily if you try to overfill.

Most around try to score a used sanky keg, rip the valve out, and recently (last year or so), there have been GOOD how-to's posted on building what we are now calling an 'easy flange' to connect a 2" copper line right to the open valve stem of the keg.

The extinguisher cans will work, but are pretty small (4 or possibly gallons, which can only be 3/4 filled). The empty keg will allow you do easily do 12 gallon runs, or even a small run, like a couple gallons if that is all you have to run.

But it is good that you are starting to 'see' stillin stuff in common materials. We ALL seem to get that bug. Go walk down the cooking implements isle, and all I can think about is how I can use this or that doodad to make parts for my still. When u get hooked, I am pretty sure that bug will hit u also :)

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
mjdtexan
Novice

Post by mjdtexan »

Thank Yall for the responses and information. I am leaning toward the beer keg myself. I may toy with the fire extinguisher though.

Mike
Current Wine Maker.

I see you, through the glazed eyes of a barfly------Moe Szyslak
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

During a quick run through Big-Lots today I managed to rush down the cooking aisle and wished I could have stopped for a minute... They just got a new shipment in and the shelves were overflowing with every size of stainless steel stock pot imaginable... I've been kicking around the idea of soldering or welding two of them together to make a new boiler... Sizes range from 8 - 25 liters, at about $0.50 per liter... I've gotta get back there quick...
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

Go for it Rad, you know you want to. :ebiggrin:
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Best boilers are stainless beer kegs and large stock pots.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Evascroll
Novice

Post by Evascroll »

I was goin to make a new post but since there is one i post the pic for one that some one give to me!!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Evascroll
Novice

Post by Evascroll »

It is a 4 gallon
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

That would be perfect for a spirit run off the low wines from a single full keg strip run.....
I want it.
Jb
by the way,with ujssm with f.g below1.000 I can run 13 gallons in my leg,but I always put a lil butter in the keg.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!